Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childish DJ on Phantom

Options
  • 24-07-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Tuned in to Phantom for the first time ever today as I fancied a change and thought I'd give them a go. Someone texted in saying some song was 'muck'. The DJ read out the text and then finished with the comment "not as muck as your face, anonymous texter". Is this the standard of childishness on this station? First and last time to tune in for me. Bye bye Phantom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Capri86

Tuned in to Phantom for the first time ever today as I fancied a change and thought I'd give them a go. Someone texted in saying some song was 'muck'. The DJ read out the text and then finished with the comment "not as muck as your face, anonymous texter". Is this the standard of childishness on this station. First and last time to tune in for me. Bye bye Phantom

My guess is, John Cadell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Bet you the song wasn't, in fact, as muck as the anonymous texter's face. :P

Jeez, "Monkeybonkers" .. if this is the kind of thing that offends your overly-sensitive sensibilities and makes you want to change stations, then I can name a number of radio stations you probably shouldn't listen to, not just Phantom.

If you really missed the irony and found the throwaway "insult" so offensive, then you're clearly not as delightfully odd as your boards name suggests and you're definitely not the type of listener Phantom is aimed at.

The station's presenters, like the music tracks they play, are a bit different, a bit quirky, occasionally quite silly (possibly childish), but best of all, they don't take themselves too seriously - and a great many of their listeners would be of a similar persuasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Dont listen to JC if youre sensitive......he's got a dirty mouth..........:D

I like Phantom...I listen only because Nova are still on "repeat"..............:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Bard wrote: »
    then I can name a number of radio stations you probably shouldn't listen to, not just Phantom.

Please do, that would save me some time.

It's not that my overly-sensitive sensibilities were offended, I just thought it wasn't very funny. The media these days has been dumbed down a lot, especially radio, but I think that's just a reflection on the direction that society in general has taken.

I also wouldn't say that the comment was ironic in any way. It was just a juvenile attempt at humour that fell flat with me. Maybe I just haven't moved with what people find funny these days although someday I'm sure that my mental faculties will be so reduced that even I might find this humorous, along with other cultural phenomena like the hilarious 'Two and a Half Men'. Hopefully though I'll be dead before my brain cells are that dimimished.

Does my user name suggest I'm delightfully odd? It was just something picked at random but if you find it so then I'm glad. Maybe I should become a DJ!

I found very quickly that I'm definitely not the type of listener that Phantom is aimed at. Thanks again for your offer of the list of stations I should avoid. As already mentioned, it should save me some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JohnCaddell

Hullo Monkeybonkers and all. Yes, that was me you're referring to in the original post. Sorry you found my line offensive, it was absolutely tongue-in-cheek, as I clarified on air when someone texted in saying "bit harsh". Last thing I'd mean to do is purposefully insult one of our listeners! Sometimes when people text in saying "that's ****e" or "you're ****e" I comment on it with mock-indignation, (or sometimes real indignation if they're slagging off Bob Dylan or The Stranglers) and that's all it was meant to be. Your post is the first time someone's called me childish in quite a while, usually it's "grumpy sod" or suchlike.

Anyway, tune in again tomorrow, and I'll play you a request.

Cheers

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Monkeybonkers, people like you make my face hurt!

Kindly get a life!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

Hullo Monkeybonkers and all. Yes, that was me you're referring to in the original post. Sorry you found my line offensive, it was absolutely tongue-in-cheek, as I clarified on air when someone texted in saying "bit harsh". Last thing I'd mean to do is purposefully insult one of our listeners! Sometimes when people text in saying "that's ****e" or "you're ****e" I comment on it with mock-indignation, (or sometimes real indignation if they're slagging off Bob Dylan or The Stranglers) and that's all it was meant to be. Your post is the first time someone's called me childish in quite a while, usually it's "grumpy sod" or suchlike.

Anyway, tune in again tomorrow, and I'll play you a request.

Cheers

John
    This reply is almost as good as the Waterford hotel.Therefore, OP you got left, Joe on Liveline might be more to your liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

I heard another presenter on the station read out a song request and said they didn't have the song but they might get another song from that artist on. If you dont have it, dont announce it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

gits, I might listen to mcgowan but that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Capri86

Good man jc

• Advertisement

gavindowd wrote: »
    I heard another presenter on the station read out a song request and said they didn't have the song but they might get another song from that artist on. If you dont have it, dont announce it

If things like that annoy you.....dont listen...pi$$ and moan seems to be the order of the day ....:rolleyes:

Love it. I feel like an unintentional troll!

More comments please

Sorry you found my line offensive

No need to apologise John, I didn't find your line offensive at all, just unfunny, petulant and childish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I like how the OP tunes in to Phantom for the first time, hears the dj make a childish retort to a text he didn't and so refuses to listen to the radio station ever again.

Do you refuse to listen to any other radio stations when a dj makes a comment you don't like? Is it the same with tv stations when a presenter makes a comment you don't like, or newspapers when a columnist makes a point you disagree with?

.Anyway, tune in again tomorrow, and I'll play you a request.
    Cheers

John

Hey John..please play "Get a grip" for the poor unfortunate troll with no sense of humour , and dont forget to tell everyone his name and where to find him............:D

reprazant wrote: »
    I like how the OP tunes in to Phantom for the first time, hears the dj make a childish retort to a text he didn't and so refuses to listen to the radio station ever again.

Do you refuse to listen to any other radio stations when a dj makes a comment you don't like? Is it the same with tv stations when a presenter makes a comment you don't like, or newspapers when a columnist makes a point you disagree with?

Yes. Any other points you'd like clarified?

Sids Not wrote: »
    Hey John..please play "Get a grip" for the poor unfortunate troll with no sense of humour , and dont forget to tell everyone his name and where to find him............:D

No trolling, I just don't think he's funny.

Is there a song called 'Get a grip'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Childish DJ on Phantom

Not as Childish as your face!

Marfield wrote: »
    Not as Childish as your face!

Now that's funny. :D There's some context to it and it's a reaction to some stuff that was already said. I was just going to thank the post but I think it deserved an explanation.

Sids Not wrote: »
    for the poor unfortunate troll with no sense of humour

This is how a real troll operates:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79900383

Best thread in ages! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Dont mind him John, I think you are one of the only decent ones left.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

i like john, has a laid back style and is about as honest with his opinions as you can get for daytime radio.

having 5 lennon songs in a row yesterday was great. id love more stuff like that.

chris_d wrote: »
    .having 5 lennon songs in a row yesterday was great. id love more stuff like that.

Turned off after the 2nd one started....nearly turned me off me lunch..cant stand anything Beatley......

Love the Stranglers though John.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

No trolling, I just don't think he's funny.

Humour is subjective. Again, not finding the comment funny is hardly a reason to turn the station off forever... but hey... you go ahead - knock yourself out... or get over it... or don't... or get a grip... or... well... whatever ;)
    Is there a song called 'Get a grip'?

Yes, and a good one too - from Semisonic.

It gives some good advice :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Bard wrote: »
    Humour is subjective. Again, not finding the comment funny is hardly a reason to turn the station off forever... but hey... you go ahead - knock yourself out... or get over it... or don't... or get a grip... or... well... whatever ;)

Yes, and a good one too - from Semisonic.

It gives some good advice :)
    aerosmith's song Get a Grip was better, fantastic album too! :P

Advertisement