Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does it take to become reasonably fit?

Options
  • 22-07-2012 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I know the amount of time to get to an acceptable standard of fitness is different for everyone, but what has been your personal experience?

For me, I'm a 16 year old male, 6 foot 3 inches, and I weigh 10 stone. I play no sports and do not exercise at all, as in I never have. I'm considering joining a gym, hoping to improve my stamina and hopefully gain some mass...
    Any advice,tips, or stories for me?
    Any tips on getting fit, and whether or not the gym is a good start is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

I'm 15 y/o male, and I went from not being able to run 300m, to being able to run 5K in about a month or a lil more..

I don't go to a gym as I think you have to be 16 and I might not be able to go most days either, so i just lift weights at home (got cheap enough ones online) and run on the road, just as handy..

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'm ancient by your standards. It took 6 weeks to go from not running to running. Six more weeks to go from that to a 10k race, a year to get to marathon, then got into tri and it took a further two and a half years to get to Ironman this year.

Figure out what you like - you have to enjoy what you are doing. Then pick achievable goals in weights or running or whatever you want to do. Your fitness will increase quickly if you put the work in BUT don't try to do too much too soon, you'll burn out or injure. Just enjoy it and always give yourself something new to reach for

• Registered Users Posts: 34 AMT

The rest of your life... It requires a daily effort to be fit, there is no period of time you can exercise and eat right for to be fit because once you stop the clock to fatass starts ticking....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

It depends on what you classify as fit.

However back in the 60's & 70's there were these raf or similar books for fitness and they were usually 12 weeks.

Therefore I would say that 12 weeks is long enough for significant progress to be seen but as was said progress slips away as soon as you stop.:)

Take it slow and have fun and be consistent and even though you are two young lads don't forget your stretching something many of us neglected at the same age!

Advertisement