Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allied atrocities during the Second World War >>MOD WARNING POST 80<<

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Yes I think the second bomb was more about the Soviet Union than Japan. I took it as a simple display of chest-thumping in that regard, but you're right that it would have been about proving they had more than one bomb as well as just showing they weren't afraid to use them.

it was a great idea though......killing all those nasty japs.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

eirator wrote: »
    Would the US also have been trying to prove to Stalin that they had more than just the one bomb?

There is a conspiracy theory that it was dropped as a warning to the Soviets, I have never been convinced, although I think Truman was less forgiving of Stalin that Roosevelt.

The first Soviet test was 4 years later. Even if the US only had 1 weapon in 1945, they were clearly years ahead in R & D and had actually successfully dropped one, so worst case would have had a second one within a year.

Given that the Soviets managed to get their hands on blueprints in 1945 I would assume they knew enough about the program to know the US had more than one weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Would the US also have been trying to prove to Stalin that they had more than just the one bomb?
    Yes I think the second bomb was more about the Soviet Union than Japan. I took it as a simple display of chest-thumping in that regard, but you're right that it would have been about proving they had more than one bomb as well as just showing they weren't afraid to use them.
    juan.kerr wrote: »
    There is a conspiracy theory that it was dropped as a warning to the Soviets, I have never been convinced, although I think Truman was less forgiving of Stalin that Roosevelt.

The first Soviet test was 4 years later. Even if the US only had 1 weapon in 1945, they were clearly years ahead in R & D and had actually successfully dropped one, so worst case would have had a second one within a year.

Given that the Soviets managed to get their hands on blueprints in 1945 I would assume they knew enough about the program to know the US had more than one weapon.

Dropping a bomb, I would've have thought would've have been enough for the Russians.Would it not alone have proved the USA had the ability to make a device, bearing in mind they had test fired in the Mojave desert.Developing the technology might have been the important element,dropping it would've have been a lesser detail.
    I thought the second bomb was dropped because Japan was ignoring calls for surrender.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Shredder66 wrote: »
    And Britain and France never invaded countries or persecuted minorites? I know of one country not too far from here that Britain invaded and killed many of it's inhabitants. So anyone who says the Brits or the French were noble and just is an utter hypocrit.

Hitler wanted to take back German land that was taken away from them after WWI and in many countries the Germans were welcomed by the locals, particularly in the East.

What then did the great allied heroes do then after they bombed Germany back into the stone age? They turned half of Europe over to bloodthirsty Communists.

So Hitler was only "reclaiming" much of France, the Channel Islands, Denmark, Holland, Belgium, Norway, and of course Poland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

nuac wrote: »
    So Hitler was only "reclaiming" much of France, the Channel Islands, Denmark, Holland, Belgium, Norway, and of course Poland?

Please add Hungary, Austria, Czechoslovakia, The Isle of Man to your talley of former 'German possessions', not overlooking the entire UK and the nice green place you live on.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

poor old Hitler, all he did was invade a few countries, persecute a few minorities/ethnicities/the disabled/the handicapped etc and Britain and France go and declare war on him.

You're not answering the question. Not even trying to answer it. Unsurprisingly, given your British nationalist politics.

tac foley wrote: »
    Please add Hungary, Austria, Czechoslovakia, The Isle of Man to your talley of former 'German possessions', not overlooking the entire UK and the nice green place you live on.

tac

Not like you Brits would go around claiming places that don't belong to them? Jesus, no. Never. That whole "British Empire" malarkey was just an accident... that went on for centuries and centuries. It does not indicate any imperialist fanaticism at the heart of British society and British political and cultural identity. Nope. Lovely people, the Brits, going around the world helping the poor benighted natives. Of course.

The. Most. Nationalist. People. In. All. Europe. Bar. None. TÁL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

clashburke wrote: »
    Goering is denounced mainly due to his anti-Semitic stance that the upper echelons of Nazi Germany prescribed to and not due to his bombing campaign's.( although it is of course a factor).

His pilfering of Europe's museums and private art collections using soldiers and murder would also put him in a different category to Harris.

A more pertinent criticism of Goering would be his inadequacy at Stalingrad for example.

Stalin was aware of the atom bomb before it was ever used. The soviets were developing their own bomb at this time.
    Seanchai wrote: »
    Not like you Brits would go around claiming places that don't belong to them? Jesus, no. Never. That whole "British Empire" malarkey was just an accident... that went on for centuries and centuries. It does not indicate any imperialist fanaticism at the heart of British society and British political and cultural identity. Nope. Lovely people, the Brits, going around the world helping the poor benighted natives. Of course.
    Anti British hysteria does not wash well in terms of WWII where they were commonly accepted as the lesser evil! There is a certain irony of them going to war to protect polish independence claims while they still ruled over their imperial empire. This was not lost on the Americans, particularly Roosevelt during the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Lets all laugh at Seanchai, Lets all laugh at Seanchai la la la la....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

The thread is on Allied atrocities in WWII, not the British empire. By all means start a thread on the British Empire if you wish.

Lets all laugh at Seanchai, Lets all laugh at Seanchai la la la la....
    Any more of this Fred and you will get infraction.
    moderator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Shredder66

Manach wrote: »
    At the start of their regime (based on reading Burleigh's works) they dismantled wholesale the checks and balances of the state and set up a system that was tribal, patronage being given to those who supported Hitler. That this lead to an disfunctional economy can be seen in Ian Kershaws 'The End'. Finally why criminal?, when all pretence of fairness and justice is jettisoned in the legal system for the sole goal of the survival of the Nazi hierarchy. To ensure that "order" was maintained, they had shot 15,000 troops for desertion. The US/UK combined total was 1.

Most probably, I won't argue as I'm not too familiar with his works, I'm just sure he didn't do much field research and is an academic historian, but as I said I won't argue. I've no doubt that the Nazis cut a few corners and were even corrupt to a point in some cases, but Germany was in such a state of disarray at the time that perhaps it was necessary to clean up the mess. If they didn't seize power the Communists would have, and that would have been much worse. The Fuhrer made Germany great again for 13 years or so, he gave them back their sense of pride and got Germany working again.

My point anyway is not who was more corrupt bureaucratically it's that you only hear about the Axis atrocities and unless you go out of your way you will not hear of the allied war crimes, some of which were beyond evil.

Most probably, I won't argue as I'm not too familiar with his works, I'm just sure he didn't do much field research and is an academic historian, but as I said I won't argue. I've no doubt that the Nazis cut a few corners and were even corrupt to a point in some cases, but Germany was in such a state of disarray at the time that perhaps it was necessary to clean up the mess. If they didn't seize power the Communists would have, and that would have been much worse. The Fuhrer made Germany great again for 13 years or so, he gave them back their sense of pride and got Germany working again.

My point anyway is not who was more corrupt bureaucratically it's that you only hear about the Axis atrocities and unless you go out of your way you will not hear of the allied war crimes, some of which were beyond evil.

you seem to have heard about them......so they are common knowledge....

are you implying that the axis are being treated unfairly in the media..????

psinno wrote: »
    What country are you talking about?
    I'm pretty sure Britain didn't exist when the Normans were invited into Ireland by Wexfordians (or whatever it is that people from Wexford are called).

Britain did, the UK didn't. You're right there, the Normans were invited and many of them mixed with the Irish, even began speaking Gaelic and marrying with the Irish but no one really asked for the plantations. Later on the English claimed Ireland as theirs and even had conflicts with the earlier Norman settlers. We know what happend from there (won't go into that, not enough time);). But just look at every country the English and later the "British" came to. They left in a state of chaos yet they have the nerve to hold themselves up as the posterboys for equality and freedom. They were far worse than the Germans (who were indeed no saints)

The Fuhrer made Germany great again for 13 years or so

13 years? He was living on borrowed time from 1942 onwards for a start and only came to power in 1933.

A few things to bear in mind:

- Ordinary germans had worse rationing that Britain.
    - Economically they pillaged the countries they occupied to finance the German war machine.
    - They were heavily reliant on slave labour.
    - They weren't able to supply the German soldiers on the Russian front e.g. with winter gear. German soldiers were expected to live off the land in Russia.
    - Over reliance on horses because the armies weren't sufficiently mechanised.

His regime wasn't sustainable in the long run. He had lost too many soldiers in Russia and the failure to get the Caucaus oil fields was a disaster for the regime.

He made monumentally stupid decisions that ruined Germany's chances of reaching negotiated settlements on each front.

you seem to have heard about them......so they are common knowledge....

are you implying that the axis are being treated unfairly in the media..????

Absolutely! Ask a ten year old who were the "baddies" in the second world war and they'll promptly answer "the Germans". Not the Communists, certainly not the Americans, even though they used nuclear bombs.

I can't emphasise enough, I know bad things happend on both sides but do an experement, make 2 lists: one of Hollywood movies, television documenteries and books that portray the Axis in a negative way and the Allies in a positive way and then on the other list do vice-versa. If you're lucky you might think of about three or four movies showing the Germans not as evil sadists.

Britain did, the UK didn't. You're right there, the Normans were invited and many of them mixed with the Irish, even began speaking Gaelic and marrying with the Irish but no one really asked for the plantations. Later on the English claimed Ireland as theirs and even had conflicts with the earlier Norman settlers. We know what happend from there (won't go into that, not enough time);). But just look at every country the English and later the "British" came to. They left in a state of chaos yet they have the nerve to hold themselves up as the posterboys for equality and freedom. They were far worse than the Germans (who were indeed no saints)

i suggest you start a thread on the history of the british empire.....the information on british atrocities is freely available....as is the information on all empires....

but making out the germans in ww2 as the good guys.....is an insult to many people alive today, and to those 44 million people who were killed in that war.....

please get a hold of yourself for decency sake.....

Loads of people know about these things.

Since when did history books suggest the USSR was anything but aggressive, brutal and totalitarian? (before Gorbachev that is). I think at the end of the war in Europe Axis soldiers were fighting to surrender to British/American troops (ie: not Soviet), rather than maintaining any hope of victory.
    You left out one of the biggies imo anyway, which is the bombing of Nagasaki. Japan was fervently trying to surrender after Hiroshima, however the USA wanted another chance to play with their new toy (and send a message to the USSR that they were not to be trifled with of course). [Hiroshima was at best highly questionable morally too of course, but I'm putting forward Nagasaki as I dont see how anyone could consider that as justified].

As regards something equal to the holocaust - well just look at the Gulags and political genocide in the Soviet Union.

The funny thing is that Hitler was the one to oppose the USSR, and point it out as the dangerous and destructive force that it was. Opposing the Bolsheviks pouring into europe [or something] was a stated motive for going to war. [He would have been better to have listened to his [kinda] predecessor, Otto Von Bismarck, who said that conquest of the USSR would be impossible because of the size of the land, sizze of the population, and severity of the winters of course]

I agree with most of what you say but I believe the blame tips more on the German side than on the Russian side. Let me give you one example, it is perfectly ok for the Russian Army to march past Red Square in Moscow flying the hammer and sickle to celebrate their Victory, despite the fact that millions and millions were killed by certain elements in the Russian military (I'm not saying all Russians were bad) and fact that millions of Ukrainian, Latvian, Estonian, Finnish, Lithuanian, Polish, Hungarian women were brutally raped and killed along the way. They can do that, without shame or any major criticism but if vererans of the Estonian SS try to mourn their fallen comrades it's an international scandal, because they were "racists".

There is a huge double standard, that's all I am trying to discuss.

pontia wrote: »
    have a glance into the ovens and come back to me

Is that supposed to make me silent and feel silly? I have seen the ovens in Dachau, what's your point?

mattjack wrote: »
    Germany lost about 15% of land after the Treaty of Versailles,that doesn't excuse invading most of Europe and parts of Africa.

How much land did Britain and France loose before they invaded much of the world?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

When we have no photos or film of an atrocity, it becomes more nebulous, confined to the corners of history books and easier to forget, and therefore forgive. To paraphrase a common saw, a picture is worth a thousand eyewitness reports.

The film and images of the Nazi concentration and death camps are scored in the collective memory and rightfully live on in that memory. When the concentration camps were liberated, Truman and others wanted to get the cameras in as soon as possible, because they figured(rightfully) many would disbelieve the whole thing as propaganda or simply forget in time. That documentary evidence created momentum in the public mind, where it stays to today. On the other hand precious few such images exist of the Soviet Gulags where many millions also died. On the Axis side little enough survives or is promoted in the west of the systematic rape, torture and genocidal murder again in many millions by the Japanese in China. Ditto for the wholesale and bloody slaughter in death camps in Serbia, including competitions between "executioners" to see how many men women and children they could kill in a day by personally slashing their throats and bellies and throwing them still twitching into the local rivers(apparently the "record" was over a thousand in one day. That particular butcher never faced a court). Truly a scene worthy of Dante's hell.

There is the aspect of personal/cultural/political sympathy or not that colours this too. The mass rapes of German women(and killings if they resisted) by Soviet forces barely registers on the radar as there's the sniff of "they deserved it". Wasn't just the Soviets either, the French forces were as bad if not worse. The Americans were better, the British forces significantly so, but not entirely blemish free on this score. Add in the mass pillaging and we have a nice picture. Few German women of that period from 9 to 90 didn't hear the words "Frau komm" at the point of a gun. I'd argue this cultural thing is also why in the west so few would be aware of the mass killings and other atrocities in China in WW2.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

OP, it is quite clearly the German 'extra carricular' activities that are the problem.

Here's a good example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einsatzgruppen

They didn't fight a 'conventional' war in the East.

I was wondering who'd bring this up :) I know a fair bit about the Einsatzgruppen, I know they committed a number of mass executions in East but often when they turned up for work they had found that the locals had already began their work and they were instructed not to interfere. The people in the East hated the Jews because of the high number of Jewish Commissars that were terrorising their countries, using much more brutal methods than the Germans. Of course the innocents didn't deserve to die but innocents are killed in every war on every side and that's what I'm trying to highlight. Thanks for your point.

Absolutely! Ask a ten year old who were the "baddies" in the second world war and they'll promptly answer "the Germans". Not the Communists, certainly not the Americans, even though they used nuclear bombs.

I can't emphasise enough, I know bad things happend on both sides but do an experement, make 2 lists: one of Hollywood movies, television documenteries and books that portray the Axis in a negative way and the Allies in a positive way and then on the other list do vice-versa. If you're lucky you might think of about three or four movies showing the Germans not as evil sadists.

there are many oppotunities for the people who were victims of the allied atrocities, to make them known.......as you are aware of them, they must have been published....

but, do you think that they will be on everybodys list of...."must find out"....
    so i can see that the germans were not all that bad.....

movies, documentory's, books etc........are made for profit.......

OP, you clearly have an agenda and are choosing which posts respond to to suit that agenda, ignoring anything that doesn't suit. Smell you later.

nuac wrote: »

Hitler's army entered the Rhineland which was taken from them. He annexed the Sudetenland and Austria. He invaded Poland to take back more German territory but was necessary as Stalin was invading from the East. He only invaded France when France and Britain declared war on Germany.

Anti British hysteria does not wash well in terms of WWII where they were commonly accepted as the lesser evil! There is a certain irony of them going to war to protect polish independence claims while they still ruled over their imperial empire. This was not lost on the Americans, particularly Roosevelt during the war.

If I recall correctly, JJ Lee accurately described this as, among other things, a "happy coincidence" that the state which began the 20th century killing tens of thousands of women and children in the British concentration camps of the Boer War ended on the morally superior side at the end of WW II.

Nobody should forget, either, the extraordinary savagery and mass murder of the British state in 1950s Kenya, starting a mere 7 years after the end of WW II. With up to 1 million people imprisoned in "enclosed villages" (Caroline Elkins, Britain's Gulag: The Brutal End of Empire in Kenya) and some 10,000 people extrajudicially executed having being tortured by an agency of the British state colloquially known at the time as "the Gestapo" (David Anderson, Histories of the Hanged: Britain's Dirty War in Kenya and the End of Empire), the unassailable "moral superiority" of the British can really only be found in the tabloids of British jingoism.

How did they get away with it?

Given this repeated barbarism and inhumanity by the British state and its undereducated, underclass cannonfodder, the notion that the British have been motivated by some moral high ground in their wars in other peoples' countries is cringeworthy in the extreme.

A more pertinent criticism of Goering would be his inadequacy at Stalingrad for example.

Stalin was aware of the atom bomb before it was ever used. The soviets were developing their own bomb at this time.

The British never gave a sh!te about Polish independence, and if they did it would be utter hypocrisy on their part (as you sort of mentioned). Britain got involved in that war as a result of a lot of shady back-room dealings.

13 years? He was living on borrowed time from 1942 onwards for a start and only came to power in 1933.

A few things to bear in mind:

- Ordinary germans had worse rationing that Britain.
    - Economically they pillaged the countries they occupied to finance the German war machine.
    - They were heavily reliant on slave labour.
    - They weren't able to supply the German soldiers on the Russian front e.g. with winter gear. German soldiers were expected to live off the land in Russia.
    - Over reliance on horses because the armies weren't sufficiently mechanised.

His regime wasn't sustainable in the long run. He had lost too many soldiers in Russia and the failure to get the Caucaus oil fields was a disaster for the regime.

He made monumentally stupid decisions that ruined Germany's chances of reaching negotiated settlements on each front.

That's not really much to do with my point, I'm not discussing the whole logistics of the war. My whole point is the double standard that exists you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Didn't we very recently have rememberance services for the people who were killed in Dresden?

The British never gave a sh!te about Polish independence, and if they did it would be utter hypocrisy on their part (as you sort of mentioned). Britain got involved in that war as a result of a lot of shady back-room dealings.

the irish never gave a shoite about the victims of german oppression....if they did....they would have helped the allies.....

the world is full of people and nations...that don't give a shoite....that is real life.....

• Advertisement

Didn't we very recently have rememberance services for the people who were killed in Dresden?

Did we? Well that's excellent but I wouldn't say too many knew about it, whereas everyone knows about Holocaust rememberence day...

Advertisement