Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slipway in south Dublin

Options
  • 19-07-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

HI.
    Just wondering could someone recommend a slipway which doesn't dry up on low tide and has a free/reasonably priced parking on south dublin?

Small ones (like ones in dalkey/bray) would dry up, one in dun laoghaire is charging 2e/h of parking (which would be ok but car with trailer may take up to couple of spaces and they want all of them to be paid....).
    Couldn't find any info about greystones one but have feeling that it will be at least as expensive as in DL.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You could try Howth but look out for rocks at low tide and keep between the yellow markers. Not too sure about the price of parking but there's lots of it :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

fergal.b wrote: »
    You could try Howth but look out for rocks at low tide and keep between the yellow markers. Not too sure about the price of parking but there's lots of it :D
    It's not quite the south side but I can't think of any other that does not dry out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

doesn't make much difference money wise drive with trailer all the way up or pay for parking locally. ;( I have a wise plan though. Launching boat from DL at low tide then driving to dalkey to leave car there (other person will go to dalkey by boat?) and then retreive boat at high water with car parked beside slipway..
    As if i would have to park car with trailer across few bays it would be almost as expensive as renting boat ;)
    I know how cheap it sounds but i'm totally broke...

Maybe you could put ramps on the trailer drive you car on top of it and just pay for the one parking spot it should also stop your trailer from being nicked :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

i could also try to fit car and trailer onto my boat ;)
    Now seriously - just heard that greystones has free parking at least at the weekends. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Slip in howth drys out they never dredged that area when they were doing the channel few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bpmdj

Spotted one on google maps near the toll bridge, just off Sean Moore Road. Anyone know about it? Seems to have a small marina with it

sdslipway.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Talent

The one near the toll bridge looks like Poolbeg Yacht club. Don't know if it's available to non-members though.

BTW what do you have against the North Side? There's plenty of 24-7 free parking in Skerries on Red Island and a very good slipway at the back of the pier which only dries out at low tide. There's usually a spot to leave the trailer if it's not too busy (don't block the lifeboat though). Get a tide table and plan your trips according. There's plenty to do and see - cruise north 4 miles up to Balbriggan, around the islands (Rockabill on a good day) and south 2 miles to Loughshinney, Rush (4 miles), Rogerstown, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bpmdj

I've nothing against the northside, was born there, but now live in Wexford. I'm only replying to the thread as I'm interested in the answers and wanto to find out more as I'd like to launch from one of the slipways for the tall ships if possible

As far as I know poolbeg is public but there will be nowhere to park a trailer, Clontarf "tight for time with the tide" or Howth are looking like the only option for the tall ships unless you go up the cost a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Talent

I'd be inclined to go for the Coal Harbour in Dun Laoire if it's tall ships he wants to see, especially if he wants to watch them under sail. Yes parking is a bugger but he can launch at all stages of the tide and there's a possibility that he might be able to at least park the trailer free on the local hard (haven't checked - just assuming it's the same as when I last used it about 13 years ago).

He also avoids a rough passage around the Nose of Howth if its wind against tide - a miserable place to be.

Forgot about coal, never used it myself but might have to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Forgot about coal, never used it myself but might have to :D

its a grand slip, little bit of a shallow angle but its doable, especially with a jeep.

few things

1. use the old harbour slip (200 metres away) if you can, much better angle on it.

2. at spring lows the end of the slip can be a few feet from where the water hits the slip. If you send your trailer off the end, which has happened a few times, your in for a lot of fun trying to get it off again. Just watch out.

3. there are granite slabs on the edge of the slip that are designed too stop you accidentally reversing off the edge of the slip. They are extremely pointed and I have seen a good few tyres slashed on them. Better than sending the car or trailer over the edge but still no fun. Watch out for them.

4. There are yellow posts at the top of the slip. They were initially put in by the old harbour master to prevent anybody with a trailer over 2.5m wide launching off the slip as you aren't allowed tow anything over that width with a normal vehicle. The old harbour slip doesn't have them so it was a bit stupid. They were more of a hassle than anything as pretty much all boats are less than 2.5m wide, but you still had to navigate through them in reverse, which some found tricky. Specifically a truck which took one of them clean out of the ground, so now its not an issue :)

Advertisement