Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help beginner to weights

• 19-07-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

I’ve been trying to get back in shape after over a year of inactivity. I’ve been doing mainly cardio but I’m not seeing the results I want and it’s getting frustrating. From reading different threads on here and info online, a combination of cardio and weights seems to be the way to go. I’ve never lifted weights before, well apart from some flimsy 3-5lbs dumbbells and I just don’t know were to start.

Does anyone have advice…as in step by step weight lifting for dummies advice? Or even a recommendation for a good website?

Dunno if this is relevant but I’m 5’8’’ (f) and 133 pounds. I’ve also free access to a bench with various weights.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

ClubDead wrote: »
    I’ve been trying to get back in shape after over a year of inactivity. I’ve been doing mainly cardio but I’m not seeing the results I want and it’s getting frustrating. From reading different threads on here and info online, a combination of cardio and weights seems to be the way to go. I’ve never lifted weights before, well apart from some flimsy 3-5lbs dumbbells and I just don’t know were to start.

Does anyone have advice…as in step by step weight lifting for dummies advice? Or even a recommendation for a good website?

Dunno if this is relevant but I’m 5’8’’ (f) and 133 pounds. I’ve also free access to a bench with various weights.

TBH there's no substitute for a good training showing you how to do the stuff! Learning from a website/vid's books CAN be done but you wont have any form correction & are more likely to damage to yourself! Are you a member of a gym?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Burkatron wrote: »
    TBH there's no substitute for a good training showing you how to do the stuff! Learning from a website/vid's books CAN be done but you wont have any form correction & are more likely to damage to yourself! Are you a member of a gym?

No I'm not in a gym, can't afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

ClubDead wrote: »

Personally, I'm a big advocate of ladies using weights-deadlifting, squatting, benching etc. I messed around at Pump and Tone classes and all that jazz for years and enjoyed it, but it wasnt til I started lifting 'heavy' that I started to see a change in body composition.

I realise you said that you can't afford a gym membership and OBVIOUSLY you do not need one to get fit/ stronger/ or to train ...but I LOVE gyms :D:D I paid 200euro for 16mths membership..which actually works out at about 3 euro a week. Which is less than the price of a drink...just something to think about:)

Other alternatives using both your bodyweight and access to the bar and weights would be along the lines of...

*Squats-just using your bodyweight or holding one of the plates
    *Lunges-bodyweight or holding a weight
    *Pushups
    *Rows-use the bar for this (might need someone to show you or watch you do this )
    *Plank
    * Side Plank

There literally is loads of stuff you could do!

If you have someone who could show you how to Deadlift that'd be cool..but if not I'd concentrate on getting those basics right first!

Just make sure that you decide on a structure/programme that is well rounded ie. one that your not always benching and then forgetting to work the opposing muscles.

That's just my simple ideas but if you've any more questions just ask. Hope that helps!:)

Plenty of bodyweight routines on this website also:
    www.myomytv.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

GYMFREAK
    Thanks for the website suggestion that was really helpfull. I went through a few videos last night and there great. I never realised squats, lunges and plank were considered weight lifting :o I guess I have been doing some weights all these years :)

Advertisement