Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Bump thread :-)

Options
  • 19-07-2012 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hey girls,
    When I was on another thread here, I realised there are a good few of us here from Limerick, so here's a little place for all of us to share our wisdom and woes about being pregnant in Limerick!

I'm 21+ 5, due around the 24th November, I'm under yummylicious Dr. Slevin, had to go to the maternity hosp last Wednesday for my 20 week scan, and I literally ran outta the place, couldn't cope with the crowds and the heat in there, luckily I'm back to Dr. Slevin's place for the rest of my appts!
    We're having a baby boy!It's our first, so I'm completely clueless and delighted to get any advice.

So what's yer story?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

Hi littlemissteach!
    great idea!! I'm due the 16th Aug with my first little girl :) under prof Cotter
    mmm... so this yummy Mr Slevin is he hot? LOL!! I'd agree with you about the Limerick being crazy busy but I cannot complain about the care I've being given. So far so good!! :)

oh and huge congrats!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

hey!

I am 26 +4, due Hallowe'en and feeling every bit of it! We are having a boy too, my second, husbands first with what will be an 11 year gap between our two! almost 11 year old is a girl so we'll now have one of each! :D I can't wait- we've called the bump "Champ" as we have yet to finalise a name but there is still ages on that one yet! been such a long time, we are really starting all over again!

Feeling great apart from Champ making himself at home under my right rib cage! work is dragging- special ed preschool- and schools holidays are anothe week away! August off though so am looking forward to some me time!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

I'm on my hols at the mo(I'm a primary teacher), I am loving having all this time to myself !!Was out in mothercare just now, wow they have great reductions on their bottles, sterilisers ,bodysuits, but I think it's still a bit early for me to buy those?

When ye were buying yere travel systems, cribs and nursery furntiture, did ye buy in Limerick or travel elsewhere...the choice in Limerick is so limited , I haven't even seen the infamous bugaboo buggies yet!!And don't get me started on maternity clothes!!lol!!

pushkii wrote: »
    Hi littlemissteach!
    great idea!! I'm due the 16th Aug with my first little girl :) under prof Cotter
    mmm... so this yummy Mr Slevin is he hot? LOL!! I'd agree with you about the Limerick being crazy busy but I cannot complain about the care I've being given. So far so good!! :)

oh and huge congrats!!! :)
    Prof Cotter, she's the American lady ya?I've heard great things about her too!
    OOhh Dr. Slevin is lovely alright....last week I got to see him in his scrubs over in the hospital....I'm still dreaming about it ...like a cross between Grey's Anatomy and 50 shades of Grey!!!lol!!!He's so caring and kind and reassuring AND really handsome as well!!

I'm on my hols at the mo(I'm a primary teacher), I am loving having all this time to myself !!Was out in mothercare just now, wow they have great reductions on their bottles, sterilisers ,bodysuits, but I think it's still a bit early for me to buy those?

When ye were buying yere travel systems, cribs and nursery furntiture, did ye buy in Limerick or travel elsewhere...the choice in Limerick is so limited , I haven't even seen the infamous bugaboo buggies yet!!And don't get me started on maternity clothes!!lol!!

Oh enjoy your hols! July provision screws us preschool teachers every year! ;) but i won't complain- a job is a job these days!

I got my bottles and a steriliser in Smyths out on Childer's Road reduced to half price. I paid €12 for the bottles (newborn starter pack) and €12 for the steriliser.

We were looking for our buggy,ya Limerick is shocking, and found a brand new Cassotta Cabi Travel System on donedeal for €200. It's €670 in Mothercare. The lady who was selling it used the carseat about 4 times.
    She said as her little one was very premature and she couldn't go outside the door with her. By the time they could go outside, she needed a double buggy for her baby and her toddler, so she put the buggy on donedeal and we got it. I took the plastic off the changing bag and mat and off the buggy part itself. It'snever been used. We are beaming :D Sitting in the spare now aka the nursery! waiting on Champs arrival.

I am in major nesting mode at the moment though! :) For nursery we are going to Ikea, there are good write ups on boards about Ikea cots etc. I am a massive fan of the place anyways and then it's total DIY makeovers from there... but thats just typical me. I am not buying child sized furniture, nor a changing table. Wedge changing mat on top of a hip height chest of drawers will suffice. Moses basket we got from a friend, who's baby was born too big for it. One more expense off the list!

• Advertisement

Prof Cotter, she's the American lady ya?I've heard great things about her too!
    OOhh Dr. Slevin is lovely alright....last week I got to see him in his scrubs over in the hospital....I'm still dreaming about it ...like a cross between Grey's Anatomy and 50 shades of Grey!!!lol!!!He's so caring and kind and reassuring AND really handsome as well!!

OOOhh he sounds dreamy!!;)
    I asked in mothercare re the bugaboo buggies in June and they said they were getting them in... dont know when though.
    I got all my big stuff cot, travel system etc all on done deal. Great value and the stuff was hardly ever used but I think if you have you heart set on a certain travel system you should go for it.
    Also if ye are due in Nov you cant go wrong with the little warmsuits they have on sale in mothercare!
    Id recommend ye get a lot of the big stuff before 7/8 mths because ye will dread going shopping afterwards:p
    TK Maxx is fab for nice little unique things but they are a bit expensive.

Oh ya Hazler id have love to gone to ikea but im not so able now, Good idea on getting adult furniture too.

Also you cant beat guineys for blankets, sheets, muslins etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭NyquistFreak

Hey girls, not sure it counts as a Limerick bump at this stage, but I gave birth there last Tuesday and have a little Limerick baby :) The hospital is ridiculous, couldn't sleep at all the whole week (I had a section so kept in a bit longer despite the bed shortage!) Between the heat, noise and constant interruptions, I think I went a bit mad from it all! They had a linen shortage too, had just a sheet and my own bath towel as a blanket the first night! The midwives are absolutely lovely up on the wards and they're really all doing their level best, but that whole cutbacks and early retirement in Feb thing is pretty evident once you're in there if you know what I mean. I genuinely feel really sorry for and have huge respect for them all with the stress of their jobs. And they're still all lovely.

My top tips for surviving the public wards: bring your own light blanket, even though its probably way too hot for it, to have it just in case is no harm, i went to bed roasting and woke up shivering. Also, pillow cases. The pillows are there weird plastic covered things, and with that linen shortage you'd be lucky to get one even if you have more than one pillow. actually, just bring your own pillow. I sent boyfriend on a super sneaky pillow robbing mission but you might not find too many, and those back rest head board things are uncomfortable! Get someone to bring you in ice packs, even if you don't have apparent need of them, they're just lovely respite from the fricken sticky heat! I got a few reusable ones in the pharmacy that i kept sending home in rotation :) also, self heating pads (i found cura-heat 12hour heat pads in mcCabes in the crescent pretty cheap) after my section I got this thing they called shoulder tip pain (something to do with the spinal block, i don't rightly remember what it is exactly, bloody sore though!) and the heat was good for sorting that out without having to bother the poor midwives. If you like your tea not stone-cold, bring a travel mug that keeps things a bit warmer for longer, you'd have so many distractions inside there I rarely got to drink my tea while it was still hot! Lucozade energy tablets are handy (be wide of fizzy drinks for the first day or two after the birth!) if you're having trouble sleeping like I did, just to keep you ticking over. Earplugs! Seriously, I couldn't get over the silence when I got home finally! This was more for trying to sleep during the day when there was OH in with me to mind baby than for night time though, personally I didn't get much use out of them, but it was nice to have the option. Bring stuff for the shower, you'll feel so much better for it! And bring stuff to shower-substitute just in case you run into any complications that leave you not able...I was a bit too stiff and sore to stand too long and couldn't catch my breath standing upright for a few days, as well as a pretty hard core looking pressure bandage (not common at all) that i couldn't get wet, so wasn't able for the shower really, I had a bit of a not so straight forward delivery though so this wouldn't apply to everyone, but to be prepare for the just in case: dry shampoo and a facecloth spongebath for the win! Be prepared for any eventuality ladies, nothing like being festival fresh when you're trying to feel human in fairness! bleugh! No idea what the pain relief rigmarole is for a straightforward natural birth, but for section there was some pretty spacey moments from all the morphine etc, so a notebook would have been handy just to keep note of feeds and things doctors said to you and all that, baby brain doesn't go away straight away either! Oh ya, and theres this one catering beeatch (an older blondie yoke) who has no concept of privacy and will just pull back your curtain without any warning regardless of who else is in the room or checking if you're decent or what, play wide and if you hear the trolley rattling around (usually between 7.30-8am yes, she'll wake you up, 11, 1, 4 i think?) Often Id find I wasn't able to eat on her schedule, be that from having to tend to baby, or deal with doctors coming round or whatever, she was the only one who got thick about not being finished when she came round for the tray, the rest of them were sound about leaving it a while, but she was just a pain in the unmentionables, so a lunchbox to stash bits when she was on duty would have been handy too! bah I'm actually tormented just thinking about her now! yes, things a ridiculous hospital bag list, I found the ones i found online in the various due in...threads I only used half of, my advice is just plan for the first night/next day, and have someone bring things to you as you need them instead of trying to bring everything at once. If I think of anything else I'll post again later, still a bit spacey to be honest! Oh ya, and if you spray deoderant on the ward you're a gowl, go to the bathroom for that like!

Best of luck to ye all :)

Id recommend ye get a lot of the big stuff before 7/8 mths because ye will dread going shopping afterwards:p

Oh ya Hazler id have love to gone to ikea but im not so able now, Good idea on getting adult furniture too.

Also you cant beat guineys for blankets, sheets, muslins etc.

heading up to Ikea in August to get the stuff we need for the nursery. We can take our time putting it together then but at least I know it'll be there and ready to go!

I was in Guineys the other day and they have cot sheets, muslins and baby sleepers bags for almost nothing! Didn't pick up anything as need t make sure the Ikea cot matress and their size sheet are compatible. :)
    Oh ya, and if you spray deoderant on the ward you're a gowl, go to the bathroom for that like!

First of all a huge congrats Momma! Well done to you! Thanks you for your post- really good to know a few bits extra!

Second that last line just made my evening :) spray and your a gowl! :D you can't beat a good aul Limerick phrase! ;)

Question: when are people starting their antenatal classes? We're booked in for Tuesday 23rd of August at 6.30pm. Anyone else on these?

Also we've decided to use cloth nappies... anyone else trying this? And does anyone know if Ecobrats is still selling below in the Milk Market?

We're hoping to go to our registration class tomorrow, prob should have gone earlier as I'm nearly 22 weeks now, my midwife said to go before 20 weeks but we just couldn't get around to it.When are the rest of the classes?Are they way later in the pregnancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Excited

T
    Excited wrote: »
    Hey gir

I'm 21+ 5, dueng
    This thread is a great idea:) I'm nearly 25 wks at this stage! Can' t believe how d months have flown by! Have heard lots of positives re slevin altho Im under hickey myself. V impressed with him so far. Abs gentleman. Have had no dealings with mat hos yet apart fm antenatal class. From this thread it sounds like it'll be hectic there in Nov.

I'm afraid I'm not much use to u with advice tho. First baba too. Had a bit of a wait for him ...took over a yr t get pregnant. In hindsight, thats prob not that long but felt like eternity at the time. Just so delighted he's on his way :)

Big congrats to Nyquist and thanks a mill for all the advice!

Re antenatal classes ... Did the first one about wk 21. Was very general tbh. If ud done any reading you'd have a fair idea of it all already altho they do bk u in for d subsequent classes. From what I cud see there were people there at all stages of preg. Some with no bumps. Some with huge bumps ! I've my 2nd class on wed 1st Aug for 4 conseq wed. Am primary teacher as well so handy t get them done when off ;) Think they like you t have them completed no later than wk 34 as u' ll have other things on ur mind at that stage!!

• Advertisement

Congrats nyquist i have been following your posts in the July thread and i really hope you are getting over the traumatic time you had best wishes to you and your little bub. :-) x
    i did have to laugh at that gowl statement too lol:-P
    Great tips esp the blankets and pillows . Are they strict about how much stuff you can bring in?
    They do seem really undersstaffed there but the midwifes seem really good at their job its just Soo unfair they are under So much pressure:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Another limerick one here! I'm due mid- december so im 18+5 at the moment! I've been to my first antenatal class last month and am scheduled for the rest of them in september. I'm hoping those classes are a lot more informative. I felt like the intro class was a total waste of my time! (minus the physio part, that was brillant!)

I actually have gotten all my baby room furniture already! my OH doesn't drive and I wanted to be able to drive up and down to dublin in the same day without being completely exhausted. We got our cot, a dresser and a changing table converting bit for the top of the dresser. Great deal for all three pieces! we didn't buy the cot mattress though as it was more expensive than the cot itself and I said I would find something in Guineys!

As far as sterilizers, we got the avent microwave one in symths for 12 euro. They seem to have the best deals on that stuff for sales and ect. Mother care seems to be a rip off in my book!!
    Have also been looking at prams. We are thinking of going with the uppababy (it has everything we want and I never ever buy top of the line and just this once I want to splurge!) We have heard time and again that the nursery store in tralee is the best. Prices seem the best as well. The nursery store in ballysimon is great but pricey. I got good advice there but dont think i will buy there.

I know ive been doing everything super early but I am one of those people who love to be prepared and get it all done as soon as possible! (basically I worry and wreck my own head haha! )

It seems like there are so many pregnant women around the city...wonder what the percentage is here compared to other places around?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭NyquistFreak

Hey Pushkii, ya caught you stalking me a few times alright :D Getting there now on recovery alright thanks.
    No I didn't notice them being too strict on anything to be honest, they left visitors off for an extra hour or so til they left of their own accord, I suppose its less work for them if you have someone in to help you longer! The thing about the loads of stuff is more for yourself really, if you're in bad form after delivery a lot of clutter is last thing you need! Alright I was pretty lucky that i had a big enough space next to a window that I had my eye on for a day or two and moved over to once the lady in there went home, the beds over the other side of the ward (on the same side as the bathroom) had considerably less space, you'd be stuck for room if you had too much with you, and like i said i had a lot of stuff i never even used too so play it by ear on that one!

Rachineire is super organised to be fair, scarily so. More than I am and I already have the baby!

I didn't do any of the antenatal classes at all so can't really help on that one!

Does anyone know what the food is like in the mat? Is the last meal really at 4:30!!?

Well we went to our registration for the ante-natal classes on Friday, the physio was good, showed us exercises to do on the ball, besides that it was a very general talk.
    The rest of my classes are starting Sept 25th.Has anyone been to the breastfeeding workshops there?I think I'll head along to the one in August- its the first Thursday of the month at 10.30am.
    I'm going to Cork on Tuesday to get some clothes (hopefully!!)I have a wedding to go to on the 11th August, so must have a look for something for that, is that Nelo place in Limerick any good?I get the impression it's kinda pricey?

I went to the breastfeeding workshop this month but I had to leave halfway through as I was in a lot of pain. I really didnt find the first half to be good it was really tiring and she didnt give us any break, dont know what the second half would have been like. I'm sure Cork would have a better selection though :)
    I found the ante-natal classes really good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Excited

Well we went to our registration for the ante-natal classes on Friday, the physio was good, showed us exercises to do on the ball, besides that it was a very general talk.
    The rest of my classes are starting Sept 25th.Has anyone been to the breastfeeding workshops there?I think I'll head along to the one in August- its the first Thursday of the month at 10.30am.
    I'm going to Cork on Tuesday to get some clothes (hopefully!!)I have a wedding to go to on the 11th August, so must have a look for something for that, is that Nelo place in Limerick any good?I get the impression it's kinda pricey?

Hey LMT, the breastfeeding wkshop next thurs would have been handy, but have scan around 10 / 10.30. Must check!!!

Hope you did well in Ck in the shops?? Nelo is way too expensive for everyday items like jeans and tops. However they did have a few nice dresses if you were willing to splash out for a wedding. Saw nice one for about e150! Have you ever looked at 'Elora' on-line? Got few bits myself there and happy out with them. Delivered within couple of days and refunded no hassle when I returned a top!

Hey excited!
    Had a great time in Cork, am well stocked up now for the next few months I think, got a good few tops, long tops for over leggings, trousers and jeans so I'm delighted!

My OH and I are headed down to tralee tomorrow to check out this tralee gas and nursery store. We have heard from several people its got such a huge selection and the package deals are really good (I've called and enquired as well and its a lot cheaper than the nursery store on the ballysimon road!) They also deliver to limerick for free for anything over 100 euro! I will report back if I find out anything amazing!

Any good places for maternity clothes shopping there? Never been to tralee myself. I hear the penny's is good. I wouldn't mind another pair of maternity jeans and a few more tops :D

Rachineire wrote: »
    My OH and I are headed down to tralee tomorrow to check out this tralee gas and nursery store. We have heard from several people its got such a huge selection and the package deals are really good (I've called and enquired as well and its a lot cheaper than the nursery store on the ballysimon road!) They also deliver to limerick for free for anything over 100 euro! I will report back if I find out anything amazing!

Any good places for maternity clothes shopping there? Never been to tralee myself. I hear the penny's is good. I wouldn't mind another pair of maternity jeans and a few more tops :D

Hey Rachineire,
    I'm from Tralee(living in Limerick), popped into Tralee Nursery Supplies during the week-they do have a huge selection-I saw bugaboo, Icandy, Uppababy, Baby Elegance, Quinny and BabyLoMax there.I was looking for Mamas and Papas though and they didn't have that!They have a huge selection of furniture too.
    As regards maternity clothes, I can't see you getting much in Tralee-sorry- there is a lovely big Penney's in the town, and Next, Mothercare, and Debenhams(red herring) in Manor West have some maternity clothes I think.
    Best of luck in Tralee :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Jesus I just wrote a long reply and my internet connection was off and lost it GRR

Im under Dr Slevin having a section morning of the 20th august.

NiquestFreak Did u stay in the full 5 days ? Im hoping to get out sooner.

Loads of good advice from you its brought back memories. I had my daughter there 7 yrs ago, and had to stay in for 7 days, i didnt have a section but other complications.

Plus one to the gowl with the trolley , I was having my stiches checked one day and a dinner lady pulled the curtain fully back , the visitors of the lady acroos from me got an eyeful of the horrors of my 3rd degree tear. The nurse just roared at her.
    Another Gowl used to change the big metal bin in the room in the middle of the night, I swear it was like she was clanging pots and pans and used to shake the bag twenty times just to wake us all up.

Bring flip flops for the shower, a lot of bleeding ladys using same one, when i was there , there was the same blood in the corner of the shower tray the whole week!
    bring plenty of milton wipes for wiping down surfaces .
    Ur own pillow is a must , I'm bringing my long pregnancy one.
    When u are going home bin ur slippers, They will be carrying lots of bugs from around the hospital. I have so many stories from the maternity I could write a book. The midwives though are FAB they are so supportive and patient, but very rushed off their feet so if u ask for something and dont get it keep asking u may have been forgotten.

I got my buggy and changing unit off done Deal, loads of bargains there.
    Fennessysin William street are goot for cot and moses sheets.

Rachineire wrote: »

Hey Rachineire,
    I'm from Tralee(living in Limerick), popped into Tralee Nursery Supplies during the week-they do have a huge selection-I saw bugaboo, Icandy, Uppababy, Baby Elegance, Quinny and BabyLoMax there.I was looking for Mamas and Papas though and they didn't have that!They have a huge selection of furniture too.
    As regards maternity clothes, I can't see you getting much in Tralee-sorry- there is a lovely big Penney's in the town, and Next, Mothercare, and Debenhams(red herring) in Manor West have some maternity clothes I think.
    Best of luck in Tralee :-)
    It was so great! Tons of selection there and the sales staff was brilliant. Honest advice that saved us loads of money and unnecessary purchases and will deliver to limerick for free! Didn't even bother with looking for maternity clothes. Went to.penneys which was great. Didn't buy anything though cause I feel like a cow! Looks like I'll be headed out to the crescent for maternity jeans this week!

Does anyone have Dr. Burke as a consultant? Also all my family is living overseas what do you think are the chances the maternity will agree to an induction date soon after my due date if I go over so I would have a definite will be here by day so my family can get plane tickets?

Tishandy great tips. That woman really sounds like a goul :-( hope i don't meet her. Fairly yuck. re. The showers will be definitely be bringing flip flops. I thought it would be a bit ott bringing my own pillow but im so bringing it. I don't really care about the facilities as long as the medical care is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SaucySue

Hi guys, not actually a Limerick bump but hope ye can give me some advice! Heading to Limerick for weekend soon (from Galway) and hoping to have look around there for maternity clothes / baby stuff. Not baby clothes as such (not yet 20 weeks pregnant so not buying clothes yet), more nursery furniture or travel systems so where would have those type of things? I know a lot of the shops for maternity clothes are same as here, except ye have H&M, whereabouts is that and do they have a big section of mat clothes?

Thanks, and hope ye are all doing well.

SaucySue wrote: »
    Hi guys, not actually a Limerick bump but hope ye can give me some advice! Heading to Limerick for weekend soon (from Galway) and hoping to have look around there for maternity clothes / baby stuff. Not baby clothes as such (not yet 20 weeks pregnant so not buying clothes yet), more nursery furniture or travel systems so where would have those type of things? I know a lot of the shops for maternity clothes are same as here, except ye have H&M, whereabouts is that and do they have a big section of mat clothes?

Thanks, and hope ye are all doing well.

Hi SaucySue!
    Congrats on your pregnancy and hope you'll enjoy your weekend in Limerick!
    As regards maternity clothes, there's H&M in the Crescent Shopping Centre , the maternity section is ok ( small -ish) but you could pick up a few basics and a couple of tops there, I mostly bought their regular non maternity tops and just went up a size from my normal one, mother care is in the crescent too which has some (very limited amount) of maternity clothes, it has baby furniture and equipment and a choice of travel systems too.Next in the crescent do some maternity ( I think), I can't think of any others off hand-there's not much in Limerick maternity clothes wise to be honest :-(
    Other places to look for furniture and travel systems are Smyths Toy Stores(two of them here-one in Jetland on Ennis Road, other in Childers Road Retail park )If you're heading out to Childers Road, there are two other stores near there that do furniture and travel systems-World of Wonder, Dublin Road(near Aldi and the Travellodge) and the Nursery Store (Delta retail park, just off Ballysimon road).
    That's all I can think of at the mo, I'm sure the girls will post up the other places I have forgotten!

that seems to be pretty comprehensive to me! I would also check out TK MAXX though, its on the dublin road near the world of wonder actually. I went there the other day and they were having a big sale on baby clothes. I wouldnt buy a ton there but its nice for cute bits and pieces that you wouldnt find in the likes of penneys or dunnes (maybe in debenhams but who can afford to pay 40 euro for one newborn outift!)

I went to the breastfeeding workshop this month but I had to leave halfway through as I was in a lot of pain. I really didnt find the first half to be good it was really tiring and she didnt give us any break, dont know what the second half would have been like. I'm sure Cork would have a better selection though :)
    I found the ante-natal classes really good :)
    Hey pushkii,
    I'm heading to the breastfeeding workshop on Thursday, just wondering doe sit go on for long?And is it just one Thursday or do you need to go a few Thursdays?Thanks

Hi lmt ! You only need to go one Thursday. It goes on for 2 hours i think maybe a little over depending on who's doing it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SaucySue

Thanks littlemissteach and Rachineire for those tips, will have a look in those places when we go up. Hopefully might pick up few bits and pieces, or least get some ideas so I'm not so lost!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Hi girls , do u need to book in for the breastfeeding workshop? Is it in one of the prefabs where they do the antenatal classes?

Advertisement