Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambay Island Fishing

Options
  • 19-07-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Lads,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if its safe to go out as far as lambay from howth on a seahog?

And also what should I be looking out for?

Whats the fishing like out there?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi seahogger, There is good fishing all around Lambay just to the left of the harbour there is a bit of a cross tide that is good for mackerel, between Lambay and Malahide estuary you might catch the odd tope or some flats, all around the island is good for pollock,bass and cod if the seals don't get them first :D around the back of the island if you go out a bit there are plenty of dogfish, smooth hounds a few ray and gurnard and the chance of just about anything. :D

Make sure your boat is well prepared have a back up motor a good anchor, VHF and life jackets, keep a good eye on the weather and tide. Even on a good day the fog bank can come on top of you very quick so keep an eye on the horizon also there are a lot of lobster pots and at low tide it can be a maze of ropes so take your time moving about if you catch one of these at full speed you will come to a sudden stop :eek:

PS. Welcome to the forum, let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

You should be fine in a hog have been out that route in a strikeliner many times.

in additon to the species Fergal mentioned there are some good huss there too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Just to note if you do intend to fish for tope they must be returned to the water alive, there is a little reward if you send the details of the shark to Fisheries Ireland or if you wan't to get involved in tagging you can contact them here. http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Tagging/marine-sport-fish-tagging-programme.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4 seahogger

Thanks for the reply. Im a novice at the sailing / fishing etc. What do you recommend I use to catch the cod?

Lugworm or ragworms are good, peeler crabs if you can get your hands on them are great. I have also used white feathers and just about anything you can find in a rock pool, hermit crab, limpets and mussels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

rigs like feathers will get cod orange if possible . let your weight hit the bottom and lift your rod up and down so the rig rises and drops

Advertisement