Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hatching out chicks

Options
  • 19-07-2012 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

hi there

had a hen siting on 5 eggs for about 10 days all was going great until i went to see her today and she had left them and 1 egg was cracked open , i had her away from the others in the same coop but just left the lid open 2 inches and she got out are the eggs gone now or if she sits on them again will they be alright . i had feed and water left in with her ,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

My guess is that they're gone. Eggs have a very small timeframe whereby if the hen lets them go cold then they dry out & die quickly.

Does she want to sit on them again? Sometimes hens just give up & leave the clutch. If one of the eggs was cracked she may have done it & then just gave up on the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Ayla wrote: »
    My guess is that they're gone. Eggs have a very small timeframe whereby if the hen lets them go cold then they dry out & die quickly.

Does she want to sit on them again? Sometimes hens just give up & leave the clutch. If one of the eggs was cracked she may have done it & then just gave up on the rest.
    With regard to that in bold, I've seen hens off clutch for well more than an hour, perhaps 2 hours and they've hatched fine. The hen returns of her own accord.
    The cracked egg may have occurred in the action of trying to leave the coop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

That's true, and apologies that was the timeframe I had in mind (although I realise that probably didn't come across).

I was thinking that the hen had left the nest sometime during the evening/early morning, but obviously we don't know exactly when it happened. If the hen returns & sits again then the eggs may just be fine. But the clock's ticking now...

OP - as you wrote your msg yesterday, what's happened w/ the hen since? Has she sat again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

Hi there

ya she is back in again i had her kind of locked in to to a part of the coop and she got out but could not get back in herself until i spotted her missing, dont know how long she was gone ,the eggs felt cold but we will have to wait and see, tried candling them but not too sure what to be looking for , thanks for ye advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

Hi there

Just an update hatched out 2 chicks over weekend out of 5 eggs great excitement with the kids now to keep them alive is the thing

• Advertisement
Advertisement