Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan Campbell Memorial Race July 29th

Options
  • 17-07-2012 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

The organisers of the Brendan Campbell Memorial races in Donore on Sun Jul 29th have decided to run with a separate A4 race at this years event.The A4 race will take place at 12 midday over 7 laps of the usual 6.4 km circuit.It will be run off at the same time as the youth races and will be finished before the main event.The main race now will be for A+/A1/A2/A3/Juns.The A4 race is a new venture this year and the club and hopes to get the riders support.The main race will be at 2pm and the final round of the womans nat league will start at 2 04pm.H Q will be the school in Donore which is 3 mins from J9 from the motorway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

ill be doing this. its on the donore circuit, which is a great little (lumpy) circuit.

http://app.strava.com/segments/1245882

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

i seem to go better in the mixed races theses days and the earlier start doesnt suit me,but i do like this track i will do my best to make over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭wav1

Due to a bit of contact,lobbying,etc from some ridersthis A4 race will now be 8 laps 51.2 km,to make it eligible for full ranking points.It will have to srart at 12 sharp to be done for 1 30

Reminder ot Timetable for weekend
    11.45 u12
    12 midday A4 8xlaps 51.2km
    12.02 U16 6xlaps 38.4km
    12.04 U14 3xlaps 19.2 km
    2.00 A1/A2/A3/Jun combined 13 laps 83.2km
    2.03 Woman nat league 7xlaps 45km
    Sign on opens at the school at 10.30.One day licences available.Presentation for earlier events at 1.40 approx.
    Presentation for main event in school at approx 4 30 with a cuppa for all.
    Prizes for all categories including first 6 in each youth race.
    Donore school is 3 mins west of J9 from M1

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

i have a club competition licence. would i need to upgrade to take part in this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

bren_mc wrote: »
    i have a club competition licence. would i need to upgrade to take part in this?

You can get a one day licence at the race. You will need to buy the licence and also pay the entry fee to the race. A deposit is usually required for race numbers also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Lovely, I think I'll go to this. Been out for a while so it may be a short one.

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    You can get a one day licence at the race. You will need to buy the licence and also pay the entry fee to the race. A deposit is usually required for race numbers also.

thanks. might do that so.

Bren Mc.You can upgrade to a one day licence for e10 on the day.Plus the e10 entry fee.So its only e10 extra really as the entry fee is payable by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Just a quote from the article I published in the Women's CI site.
    The final round of the StickyBottle.com/ Joe Daly’s cycle Women’s National League is happening this Sunday July 29th in Donore, Co Meath!
    The start is at 2:04PM and we will be racing 45km or 7laps of the circuit below :
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/38193614
    Sign on is here : http://goo.gl/maps/H0J2S from 10:30am.
    We will have prizes for the Top 6 of the league and a pink surprise for the winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Whats the latest you can sign on for the A4 , any idea on numbers expected to race ?

Sign on will remain open until 11.50am.Like any race where theres no pre entry its very hard to say how many,but there has been a great reaction to date.I imagine there will be a good field as separate A4 races tend to be a bit scarce at this stage of the season.Lovely prizes for the first 6 in this event.

Morning all.Looks like a change of circuit for this event today.Sign on etc will remain the same but we are going to have to roll out to a new circuit about 5k from sign on.Charity combine event yesterday have left the roads in s....e and unusable.Race distances etc will remain.New circuit 8.4km long.The show WILL go on.

Thanks for the update wav1, I was thinking of bringing my mtb after a recce lap.yesterday!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

lennymc wrote: »
    Thanks for the update wav1, I was thinking of bringing my mtb after a recce lap.yesterday!! :-)
    Best of luck lennymc

Rode this today in the A4 race. Well, most of it! I was feeling very good all the way around so on lap four I decided to have a bit of a dig off the front to check out the competition. I pulled away slightly but at the next corner I ended up on my back. The transition from the mucky surface to the dry, the speed I had and my braking all combined and I went down. I spent the next few laps trying to get back on but to no avail. Stopped on the last lap and paid the ambulance a visit.

My left hand, wrist, elbow shoulder and hip all hurt like hell and are cut up. My helmet saved me as it has a full through and through crack where my left temple is! Left shoe is also banjoed. I think the bike is ok except the shifters are out of position. Aside from all that though it was a good day!

Is there a combine harvesters association that I can send my bills to for making sh1te of the road? ;)

Thanks to the ambulance crew!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

4th for me \o/
    delighted with that. tough course, the slime made it interesting...
    get well soon lusk, saw you go down

didnt know you had gone down lusk. I enjoyed it, was going ok, but then saw a couple of guys try an attack off the front, so went with them, then blew up :) Absolutely nothing left in the legs from last week. It was slippy all right, i had the back step out on me once or twice were you came down. Glad to hear that your ok.

well done kenmc on your 4th place. didnt get to meet you today. I was the guy in the drogheda gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Good race, pretty well organised, not sure I was happy to hear the decision to keep it on the orginal mucky route, had my back wheel step out on the last lap when it started to heat up a bit. Not a bad route, that drag after the first left turns into more of a mountain as the laps count down, dropped off here each time on the last few laps, but managed to catch back on to the group again each time, thank god! Managed to finish close enough the front of the bunch. Strange finish, one lad rode away from the bunch for first place, and it seemed everyone else was happy enough to roll over the line, no sprint finish at all, just an increase in pace and good placing. Think I rolled in in the top 10-15, but I wasn't looking, so I can't be 100% sure :rolleyes:

well that was my first A4 and i found it tougher than i thought it would be. went ok for 4 laps but then got dropped. buried myself and got back on - twice. third time not so lucky though and limped off after the fifth lap. was hoping to hang on for another lap or two at least. gonna take some time before i can stay the distance. hopefully the legs are good for the league tomorrow night.

hope you're ok lusk. it was pretty treacherous in places alright.

• Advertisement

colm_gti wrote: »
    it seemed everyone else was happy enough to roll over the line, no sprint finish at all, just an increase in pace and good placing.
    really? certainly seemed likes sprint from where I was. Eddie went very early, managed to hang in for the secondplace he was going well all day to be fair. think that's him upgraded now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

First thanks to the club for all the work that went into geting this race on the road,when i arrived and seen the state of the place i didnt think we would get to race on that circuit and i had i bit of a moan to the club Gabo gave me a bit of stick on the line before the start of the A4,a lot of work went in to geting it cleaned up ,i know the club had a stand by circuit ready to go,a big effort by the guys in the club thanks lads
    As for the race its self (A4),after the last few weeks of racing with the A1s etc i found the going easy enough and rode at or near the front for most of the race i had a few digs but i didnt feel that any thing was going to stick,i had a major moment at LDs corner a lap or 2 before he had his off :eek: (seen you on the road i taught you were just having a rest :rolleyes: glad your ok mate ) i didint notice the guy slipping of the front i assumed he was one of the dropped U16 we were picking up as we went fair play to him
    As for the sprint i got myself in a perfect position but when it all kicked off a bottled it,i was to busy looking round me for what might happen when i should have been driving for the line finished out side the points again
    Delighted for ED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

kenmc wrote: »
    really? certainly seemed likes sprint from where I was. Eddie went very early, managed to hang in for the secondplace he was going well all day to be fair. think that's him upgraded now...

Must have just been where I was viewing from a few meters back, didn't look like anyone up the front was going eyeballs out.

Congrats on your placing by the way :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just over 30 signed on for my first A4-only race. Given the conditions I hung around at the back for pretty much the full race. The bit where Lusk Doyle went down was particularly treacherous - I hit a couple of stones one time which forced me to veer a bit coming out of the bend, then next time round I felt the back wheel slip - nothing particularly scary, but again encouraged me to try and stay back fromwhere I could see exactly what was going on

TBH, it felt pretty comfortable throughout. The drags on that course come just after dips and the whole bunch tends to concertina a bit meaning you can move up a just by using your momentum. I felt as if I was getting a steadier pace and effort from the back

Coming towards the final sprint I was feeling strong and moved up a bit. I gave it a go, but there was no safe way through and I settled for what was probably the top dozen or so - pity there was not a longer sprint as I felt strong enough to pick a few more off, but it wasn't so easy sprinting downhill towards the village, with the road narrowing near the finish.

On a separate note, I'm going to write to the BBC to suggest they look at recruiting Gaybo to commentate on the Rio Olympics ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

First race since Feb. Felt pretty awful the whole way round but was doing alright on the lumpy bits. Stayed on till the end and got up towards the front for the sprint. Didn't have enough energy left to get out of the saddle, so I just sat and span as fast as I could and got 6th. Very happy to make it round, not at all happy with my legs in the sprint. Fair play to the lad that won it off the front.

The organisation was great and the standard of riding was good too. Nice to meet a few of the boardsies.

Thanks lads. Getting stiffer and sorer in my hip as the evening goes on!

Any word on the main event and the womens?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've only heard there were more crashes in the main men's race, and one in the women's race. Can't say I'm too surprised - we were taking that corner gingerly, and I was guessing the speed the main event would be going at could result in problems

Thanks lads. Getting stiffer and sorer in my hip as the evening goes on!

I can recommend some beers to assist your recovery. well earned

kenmc wrote: »
    I can recommend some beers to assist your recovery. well earned

I had, along with some of Blue's finest buffalo wings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Hope you're not too busted up in the morning Lusk_Doyle - that was a pretty hairy corner alright.

First race for me in a while, went from feeling sh*t to feeling ok during different parts of the race / course. Slightly bottled the sprint, there were two lads in front of me that I couldn't go around, was 7th or 8th - just outside the placings again.

Advertisement