Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tokyo Jungle - PS3

Options
  • 16-07-2012 12:54pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Tokyo Jungle was probably the only game I was really interested in at this years E3. It takes place in a world where all the humans have disappeared but pets and zoo animals are left behind and must fend for themselves, eating other animals to stave off hunger and woo-ing mates to continue their genetic legacy.

It all sounds totally daft and well it is. I got to play this at a friends house on Friday who imported the game. It's totally bananas with techno music playing as your little pomeranian runs around the tokyo ruins sneaking up on prey to kill them stealthily and avoiding the bigger animals.

I thought the game would be fun in a daft way like for example Mr. Mosquito, not that well made but fun with an original idea. I wasn't surprised by how daft the game was, what surprised me was how solid it is. The controls are excellent and all the subsystems from stealth, combat, levelling up and the hunger gauge are all handled really well. In fact from the 2 hours I spent with it I'd go so far as to say it was brilliant.

So far I've seen two modes, a story mode where you control different animals and complete quests given to you. There's also a Survival mode where you are thrown into a sandbox and have to survive as long as possible as enemies get bigger and more ferocious.

The game will be coming to PSN localised in the near future but if you can't wait you can get it from japan on import. The game seems very import friendly, the tutorials were all in japanese but were pretty self explanatory as were the missions in the story mode, there was no confusion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

0:58, p!ssed myself laughing. Oh those crazy Japs!

But I agree it's a nice take on the post-apocalyptic genre at the mo. Just seems a little too Theme Zoo mixed with Sim Apocalypse City to me...with a little "batsh!t crazy" thrown in for good measure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

chin_grin wrote: »
    0:58, p!ssed myself laughing. Oh those crazy Japs!

But I agree it's a nice take on the post-apocalyptic genre at the mo. Just seems a little too Theme Zoo mixed with Sim Apocalypse City to me.

It's actually more of a platformer with stealth and combat mixed in. The only real resource management is keeping your hunger meter up by eating dead animals and mating since you then can play as your children so can last longer out in the wild.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's actually more of a platformer with stealth and combat mixed in. The only real resource management is keeping your hunger meter up by eating dead animals and mating since you then can play as your children so can last longer out in the wild.

im taking they dont show the mateing scenes ;) DIRT!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Watched a few of the vids over the past few months, game looks really good. Any game involving you sneaking round as a Pomeranian is good in my book. At least its original, a more realistic approach to the "End of Humanity" than the usual "Zombies....Zombies everywhere!!!".

Any word on release dates for over this end of the world? Thought it would never surface over here as there's not an American soldier walking towoards the camera on the cover, its not set in the Middle East (but Russia is involved as the Soviet Union never broke up, just hiding) and the soundtrack isnt composed purely of "WUB WUB WUB WUB".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

saiint wrote: »
    im taking they dont show the mateing scenes ;) DIRT!

Did you watch the trailer above? Shows a dog..."assuming position". :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im still trying to figure out what Im supposed to do half the time.
    Translations only help so much! And I cant read Kanji :/

Gameplay wise though its absolutely brilliant. So much fun lurking in the grass waiting to pounce on something :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Any word on release dates for over this end of the world? Thought it would never surface over here as there's not an American soldier walking towoards the camera on the cover, its not set in the Middle East (but Russia is involved as the Soviet Union never broke up, just hiding) and the soundtrack isnt composed purely of "WUB WUB WUB WUB".

It's been announced for a PSN release in Europe and the US so it's definitely coming.
    chin_grin wrote: »
    Did you watch the trailer above? Shows a dog..."assuming position". :pac:

They cut just after that that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

haha looks great, thanks for sharing!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

It's out on september 26th for €13.
    You may have caught wind of this one-of-a-kind title’s release in Japan or heard whispers of it this past E3, but we’re excited to finally announce that TOKYO JUNGLE will be coming to PSN for the PS3 very shortly – on 26th September, to be exact!

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/08/20/tokyo-jungle-swings-onto-playstation-network-next-month/

Damn good price for it!
    /looks bitterly at full priced import -_-
    Oh well. Still have the box :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Happy I didn't import now! Boxes are nice and all, but cheapness is too :pac: Right move by Sony to attract some impulse purchases of a niche curio.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

WARNING CONTENTS MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF NUTS JAPAN :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't wait. Was thinking it was out tomorrow but sadly it'll be another two weeks.

Still I did find out that it's set in 20XX, which is when are the best videogames are set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Can't wait. Was thinking it was out tomorrow but sadly it'll be another two weeks.

Still I did find out that it's set in 20XX, which is when are the best videogames are set.

199X disagrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

loads of reviews out for this game today, over half a dozen at least, anyway for starters check out this:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/tokyo-jungle/critic-reviews

overall average is poor, though the reviews are varying wildly.

Its the kinda game that most will love or hate. Unique and fun but a lot of people are scared of the unfamiliar :pac:

People who don't like this game are dead inside.

Eurogamer review:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-24-tokyo-jungle-review
    9/10

Ellie is back at Eurogamer. Great :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Totally forgot it was Tokyo Jungle day :eek:

Go live, damn you!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

20% off for PS+ subscribers too, so works out at just a shade over a tenner.

• Advertisement

Was so looking forward to this but my PS3 upped and died last week and I haven't got the money to buy a new one atm. Really hoping we see a big discount in the slim model when the new design is launched on Friday.

Live now!

The painfully slow PSN download begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Eurogamer review:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-24-tokyo-jungle-review
    9/10

Ellie is back at Eurogamer. Great :)

She has just made me want to get this game. PS3 booting up.

God damn it not enough space! I've over 7 GB free and it's a 4.5 GB download FFS. Time to delete some ****.

Dare i ask what size hdd you have?

60 GB

That would explain it. I upgraded mine to a 500gb soon after i got it.

Anyway, what a very different game. As Ellie in her review above said, there should be no reason that this game keeps you coming back. Everything is going against it. But, i am going back. I don't know for how long more, and i will still be getting my B'lands on, but the game is strangely intriguing. And i'm still a feckin' Pomeranian!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

just finished the tutorial , it may be the weirdest game since noby noby boy

Well won't be playing this tonight. Had to go for a dinner and when I got back my PS3 is doing it's usual thing of not bothering to connect to my router despite everything else working. It will probably be fine tomorrow using the same settings.

• Advertisement

Loving it. Completely engrossing so far, although **** hits the fan around year 30! Tigers!

Advertisement