Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

BostonB wrote: »
    Underneath it works like Windows 7 so you can use the regular Steam app?

I would hope so :)

I was trying to highlight that gamers who are already using Steam already have the app store functionality (in fact, a better version of it than Win 8 offers, since Steam is cross-platform), so they don't need to move to Win 8 to get it. So as sales pitches go, it's not a particularly compelling one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,916 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Underneath it works like Windows 7 so you can use the regular Steam app?
    Absolutely. 8 will have it's own "App store" which will contain software that plays nice with the new "Start" menu/Tile interface and work in fullscreen. But it will still have Desktop view and run all standard PC software. I've run into no compatibility issues myself.

The only real difference I have found in the desktop from 8 to 7 is the traditional start menu is gone, and replaced with the tile menu, which is a bit jarring. Fortunately though the powerful search functionality of the existing start menu still seems present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm using Classic Shell myself.

I mentioned about the regular Steam app because some people in this forum seem obsessed with the idea that you can only run W8 with Metro apps and the interface. They don't seem to realise that Windows 7 Win32 API and desktop are still there if you want them.

For want of a better word you can run Windows 8 as Windows 8 Metro, or Windows 8 Classic. (7.5 ?)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I mentioned about the regular Steam app because some people in this forum seem obsessed with the idea that you can only run W8 with Metro apps and the interface. They don't seem to realise that Windows 7 Win32 API and desktop are still there if you want them.

For want of a better word you can run Windows 8 as Windows 8 Metro, or Windows 8 Classic. (7.5 ?)

If you have to install a sourceforge project like Classic Shell to get the OS to do what you want it to do, your requirements and its design are at odds.

Don't get me wrong, it's nifty that Classic Shell exists, and I will most likely make use of it when I get win8 installed on my test box at work. But it's also undeniably f'in stupid that this is what you have to do if you find that NotMetro is not suited to your working habits.

You've mentioned some notional improvement in boot time, which is fair enough - but what other specific advantages do you get from Win 8 that make it worth switching from Win 7? In the context of my organisation, I'm just not seeing anything that's going to make it a compelling move - even the tablet support won't sway most folk, because by now those who want tablets specifically want iPads. Windows To Go has some appeal, but thus far that's about it...

I prefer the Classic Shell Windows 7 too because they left out stuff in W7 thats in XP if you're being picky ;)

The whole system feels faster (than7) in use, interface and just generally doing things. I read that a lot more of the OS is multi threaded and perhaps thats why. I don't know tbh. On a clean install it found more hardware and installed the right drivers for it than W7 does. Well on the low end laptop I tried. 2GB/1.5 C2D.

While W7 gives you more RAM, 64 etc, and better drivers and a bit more robust for stability. In terms of interface or OS features, theres almost nothing nothing in W7 I need over XP. In fact it removed some useful things from the GUI. Hence Classic Shell above.

I think MS is making a mistake with Metro. But W8 isn't as bad as some would have you believe.

• Advertisement

My understanding is some lower end tablets (the surface) will ship as Metro-Only versions of windows 8, while the "Pro" will still have desktop mode, but I could be wrong about that.

That's my understanding. But I don't think anyone's that bothered about those other versions

Overheal wrote: »
    My understanding is some lower end tablets (the surface) will ship as Metro-Only versions of windows 8, while the "Pro" will still have desktop mode, but I could be wrong about that.

ARM devices with Windows RT will still have a desktop but it's quite limited as you can't exactly run anything on it. It's only there for IE10 and Office (in desktop mode) and Windows Explorer.

I think people get confused if you talk about desktop mode. Windows 8 x86 will have Metro and also the legacy/desktop mode (Win32 API) side, the latter Win32 can run legacy apps, desktop apps.

Windows 8 ARM - WOA (or Windows on ARM) - will have a desktop but ( I'm guessing) it has (under the hood) nothing to do with Win32 desktop mode on x86. The version of IE and Office will be ARM versions, and not have all the features of x86 (Win32) versions of IE10 and Office.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/07/office_for_arm_stripped/

goodie. from a retail standpoint and the ignorance of the general public i can see this being a headache

• Advertisement

The add to the mix the Windows Phone 7 and 8 ...

Of course considering the way MS has killed Windows phone 7 would you gamble on a MS tablet being supported for long? I wouldn't.

The add to the mix the Windows Phone 7 and 8 ...

Of course considering the way MS has killed Windows phone 7 would you gamble on a MS tablet being supported for long? I wouldn't.
    Actually I would. about 1 in 4 people I sell tablets to will inquire about microsoft applications (to which there are none noteworthy on iOS or Android; there is Skydrive, and Onenote. Basically). When these things hit the shelf, with a keyboard and trackpad built into an included "smartcover", and the ability to use office applications, people will flip their ****. Assuming the price is right. For many though just having their native office applications will be all the push they require to buy a tablet. The only thing that can stop MS, really, is the existing market: people that caved in, and already own droid tabs or the iPad and won't be quick to switch. Their shoe-in though will be returning laptop customers that will see it as an alternative to buying another piece of **** laptop for under $400 and hoping it lasts more than 2 years. People who are heavily invested in iTunes or Android markets though will be hard pressed to change teams. For me though the only thing I was heavily invested in was Comixology's app, but they're there, so I'm good :D

MS record with supporting mobile devices is quite poor. Ask Nokia.

Hmm. Win 8 x64 Enterprise eval is installed on my home desktop (would've been x86 version but for unknown reasons I can't be arsed investigating, that wouldn't install).

So far, my experience is about the same as with the Consumer/Release Previews - ie it's fast and nice in much the same way that I find Win7 to be, but the UI continues to gently tickle a donkey's balls with its tongue.

After 20 minutes, I gave in and stuck Classic Shell on there to see what it was like, and I suspect that me getting on with Win8 at all is going to depend on whether Microsoft try to nobble it.

I notice as well that Microsoft STILL haven't copped the feck on about account security worth a damn. During setup, you can create a local account (and they can feck off if they think I'm using anything other than a local account) - but you can't create a local user account. The account creation screen tells you that they recommend creating a local user account, but doesn't appear to offer any way of creating one there - so you have to create the first account as an administrator, then cock about in the Users section of the control panel to create a new account as a local user. Which is frankly bloody silly.

The Windows Store seems to be somewhat pointless as well. I created a new Live account to use with it, and noticed that they had incorporated the likes of Adobe Reader there. Except you can't actually install it from there - you have to go through to the Adobe site to get the reader installation package. Hopefully this at least means that updates to Reader will be cascaded out through the Store, but given the lack of talk about using the store as a repository and the fact that Adobe haven't put Reader on there so far, I won't be holding my breath.

I installed the Office 2013 preview to see what it looked like too, and so far it's like someone decided the 2010 UI was too interesting - so they've not changed very much except to make the menu less visually distinctive. I'll keep playing, but I don't see anything that would make me switch from Libre Office for home use...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I've been running Windows 8 for the past few weeks and I don't like it, I know you can switch to desktop mode but I prefer the way it is in 7, TBH I prefer Windows XP to any other O/S, it was Microsoft's best O/S, I have it running on an old PC and I prefer it to any other O/S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

200motels wrote: »
    I prefer Windows XP to any other O/S, it was Microsoft's best O/S

Close but not quite... ;)

Win2k3 is still my absolute favourite. Of course, spending $999 on an operating system might be a bit of an overkill (official retail price, OEM or "subscriber" is a lot cheaper though).

It is significantly more stable, faster and more responsive than XP... even with all the goodies and eye candy enabled (by default it comes across as a vamped up version of Windows 2000, it is a server OS after all). There are a few drawbacks, hardware support is not as universal as with XP (if a piece of hardware ware is not officially supported, the XP driver can wreak havoc). But in general, I'd say it is the best OS MS have officially released, ever.

Torqay wrote: »

Win2k3 is still my absolute favourite. Of course, spending $999 on an operating system might be a bit of an overkill (official retail price, OEM or "subscriber" is a lot cheaper though).

It is significantly more stable, faster and more responsive than XP... even with all the goodies and eye candy enabled (by default it comes across as a vamped up version of Windows 2000, it is a server OS after all). There are a few drawbacks, hardware support is not as universal as with XP (if a piece of hardware ware is not officially supported, the XP driver can wreak havoc). But in general, I'd say it is the best OS MS have officially released, ever.
    I never used Win2k3 but if it's as good as you say I'll do a search on the net to see what people say about it.

I did a bit of digging and Win2k3 was in fact a server and a business server at that, I was referring to O/S that are for home use.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I never used Win2k3 but if it's as good as you say I'll do a search on the net to see what people say about it.
    I did a bit of digging and Win2k3 was in fact a server and a business server at that, I was referring to O/S that are for home use.

You might also want to have a look at this: http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/

I know what you mean but just because something isn't marketed for "home use" doesn't mean it's not suitable. Windows 2000 was never marketed for "home use" either but what a great relief it turned out to be for those who suffered from Windows ME. :D

@ Kaiser2000: I have tried to "abuse" 2008 as a workstation and wasn't too impressed, Windows 7 worked better on the same machine.

• Advertisement

Would XP x64 not just be the same thing? They're based on the same kernel.

Win2k3 is very reliable but most of the media stuff is stripped out which can be a pain getting working. TBH I've never had much of a problem with XP to make it worth going back to Win2K. Windows XP 64 in my experience is nothing like as stable, has driver issue, and compatibility issues.

Windows 7 and 8 seem much faster and even more reliable, have less issues with driver. Why would you bother with the old versions I don't know. Unless have really old hardware, or very little RAM.

Win2k3 is very reliable but most of the media stuff is stripped out which can be a pain getting working. TBH I've never had much of a problem with XP to make it worth going back to Win2K. Windows XP 64 in my experience is nothing like as stable, has driver issue, and compatibility issues.

Windows 7 and 8 seem much faster and even more reliable, have less issues with driver. Why would you bother with the old versions I don't know. Unless have really old hardware, or very little RAM.

Yep, IIRC DirectX is even missing from Server 2003 and has to be installed manually. I would assume that Server 2003 x64 and XP x64 would both have the same compatibility and driver issues, since they're essentially the same OS underneath. I never bothered with using Server 2003 and just stuck with XP until Windows 7 was released.

I wouldn't say Windows 7 is faster, in fact I really think you need an SSD for Windows 7 to shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Karsini wrote: »

I wouldn't say Windows 7 is faster, in fact I really think you need an SSD for Windows 7 to shine.

Perfect statement really, i have windows 7 on an ssd ,and its a sweet OS never a problem with it.

Thats the main criteria for most people an OS with no hassle.

Karsini wrote: »
    Yep, IIRC DirectX is even missing from Server 2003 and has to be installed manually.

True, but not because it isn't "compatible" but rather because people are not likely to play games on a server. ;)
    Win2k3 is very reliable but most of the media stuff is stripped out which can be a pain getting working.

Care to elaborate on this? I create videos (Premiere), convert media files (dbPowerAmp, SUPER) and rip audio CDs (EAC) on Win2k3, it plays every format I throw at it (VLC, foobar and, for good measure, WMP10), I can't see what's so painful about "getting it working".
    Windows XP 64 in my experience is nothing like as stable, has driver issue, and compatibility issues.

XP x64 (and indeed Win2k3) only works if your hardware is 100% compatible. Many hardware manufacturer just never bothered to release proper drivers (because XP x64 was coming quite late or because their hardware was not likely to be used with a server OS like Win2k3, often the case with "exotic" sound cards or media capture devices) and stability issues arise when people hope to get it going with drivers not written for the OS kernel or poorly written drivers which have not been certified. Thus it has never been for everyone, but saying XP x64 is "nothing like as stable" is not true. Most BSODs in the Windows world stem from poor, faulty or broken drivers. Many hardware manufacturers explicitly ask their customers to ignore warnings during the driver installation (because it costs money to get drivers certified) but users do this at their peril.
    Windows 7 and 8 seem much faster and even more reliable

And this you can tell from the experience of a few "beta testers" two month before the official Windows 8 launch? Quite a daring statement, I'd rather wait until this sh*t hits the mainstream fan. ;)

In the last eight years I'm using Win2k3, I have seen 1 (one) BSOD and that was when I installed a non-certified driver.

And as it stands, I'm pretty sure I can sit out Windows 8 as well with 2k3, since this I'm not big into gaming (Dx9 is still cutting it for me) and IE10 or WMP11 is not a must have for me. ;)

Care to elaborate on this? I create videos (Premiere), convert media files (dbPowerAmp, SUPER) and rip audio CDs (EAC) on Win2k3, it plays every format I throw at it (VLC, foobar and, for good measure, WMP10), I can't see what's so painful about "getting it working".

Well you had to install all that for starters. Most consumers are not going to to that.
    ....but saying XP x64 is "nothing like as stable" is not true. Most BSODs in the Windows world stem from poor, faulty or broken drivers. Many manufacturers explicitly ask users to ignore warnings during the installation (because it costs money to get drivers certified) but users do this at their peril.

How about I rephrase it to, its unreliable if you use any drivers other than the limited range (compared to other versions of Windows) of certified hardware.
    And this you can tell from the experience of a few "beta testers" two month before the official Windows 8 launch? Quite a daring statement, I'd rather wait until this sh*t hits the mainstream fan. ;)

In the last eight years I'm using Win2k3, I have seen 1 (one) BSOD and that was when I installed a non-certified driver.

And as it stands, I'm pretty sure I can sit out Windows 8 as well with 2k3, since this I'm not big into gaming (Dx9 is still cutting it for me) and IE10 or WMP11 is not a must have for me. ;)

No I basing it on my experience in a large IT dept, we've lots of people running these OS's, right the way up to Windows 8 Server for a good many months now. I myself must use about 8 different OS'es not all windows on a daily basis. But we've all had similar experiences of excellent reliability stability with the new OS'es.

Well you had to install all that for starters. Most consumers are not going to to that.

We're not talking about a consumer OS, are we? ;)

This is purely my personal preference and not much else.

I can't recall any headaches caused by the lack of DirectX, download and installation certainly wasn't as painful as someone claimed it to be.

The only "pain" you may encounter is the very limited choice of free antivirus software (I can see their point, "You have a thousand dollar operating system and now you want our stuff for free, bugger off, you lousy cheapskate!"), the free stuff isn't cut to provide efficient security in a complex server environment.
    No I basing it on my experience in a large IT dept, we've lots of people running these OS's, right the way up to Windows 8 Server for a good many months now. I myself must use about 8 different OS'es not all windows on a daily basis. But we've all had similar experiences of excellent reliability stability with the new OS'es.

But in order to add credibility to you claim that "Windows 7 & 8 are faster and more reliable than Windows 2003" you'd need a similar number of users running 2k3 on their workstations, no?

I never said they are unreliable (most stability issues with any Windows operating system can be traced to PEBCAK) but I did run quite a few benchmarks on identical hardware with XP, 7 and 2003 and surely 2003 came out on top in most realms.

You said this Sht (W8) would hit the fan. That and the beta tester comments infer its unstable/un reliable. I'm simply saying thats not been our experience at work. I also said W2K3 was "very reliable". XP64 though I found very poorly supported by apps, games, and devices. It didn't last long on my PC's.

You said this Sht (W8) would hit the fan.

Metaphorical speaking... I would not base my verdict on reviews from enthusiasts (i.e the beta testers, again, not meant in a negative sense as they're usually quite versed) who'd love trying all the new stuff when it becomes available (i.e. as consumer previews). I prefer to see it being used mainstream in rather worldly scenarios when Windows 8 hits porn and facebooks on a large scale. We'll soon have plenty opportunities to see how that goes. ;)

• Advertisement

MSDN subscribers got it year a ago. many would consider it prudent to test against it and be prepared. Though its usually good practise to wait for the first SP before considering in the workplace. But many would have public facing systems/applications, so you'd have no choice but to support it, out of the gate.

Advertisement