Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

little help

• 14-07-2012 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Right lads and ladies I need some help. I am slowly edging towards the end of what has been a long struggle with binge eating (linked into depression etc.) and am starting to come out the other side. I have joined a gym - tommorrow is my 1st day - anyone with a hint on what program a total beginner should do would be most appreciated but as diet is 80% and exercise 20%, according to my doctor anyway, I wanted some information on diet. As part of my new regime I am eating as follows -
    - two weetabix with half a banana sliced on top for breakfast
    - Wrap with ham, lettuce, scallions, cucumber, tomato and a lil salad cream for lunch
    - dinner is usually chicken breast, three baby potatoes and an abundance of veg or wholewheat pasta, my own tomato sauce with chicken/mince and veg
    I also make up a smoothie with mixed berries, flaxseed, 100ml orange and mango juice and two 0% vitalinia to have drinks of in between meals if i'm hungry and out and about and can't eat other snacks which I have when i'm at home which are fruit or raw veg.
    I also started taking a multivitamin because after all my years of binge eating crap, I'm definitely lacking in one of them! Any help from people who lead healthy lifestyles would be much appreciated as my aim is to not only lose the weight i have gained but to get healthy and fit again, cheers much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

For a while I drank 1.5l of water between breakfast (7:15am) and lunch (12:30pm) and another 1.5l of water between lunch (12:30pm) and dinner (6:30pm).

I found it helped me not feel hungry. I'm not sure as to how much water is too much though.

I'm not drinking as much any more but still try to get a good drop as I think it's good for the skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

That diet seems almost perfect, nice and healthy, could get a bit more protein in there though.

As for the fitness program, I recommend Couch to 5k, basically takes someone from little fitness to being able to run 5k in 9 weeks (and it's only a 3 day a week workout, so not too demanding!) Since I'm young and play sport I was fit(ish) when I started so I started around week 5 of the program and now I run 5 or 6 k everyday! Fantastic program for getting fit, long term if you want to lose weight, I suggest interval training. :)

here's the link to the program. . http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

0000879k wrote: »
    That diet seems almost perfect, nice and healthy, could get a bit more protein in there though.

As for the fitness program, I recommend Couch to 5k, basically takes someone from little fitness to being able to run 5k in 9 weeks (and it's only a 3 day a week workout, so not too demanding!) Since I'm young and play sport I was fit(ish) when I started so I started around week 5 of the program and now I run 5 or 6 k everyday! Fantastic program for getting fit, long term if you want to lose weight, I suggest interval training. :)

here's the link to the program. . http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I wouldn't call it perfect, but it's not bad & you definitely need more protein & more good fat in their. I'd also guess from reading your portions aren't that big either!

1st thing you need to do is workout your maintenance calories....there's loads of formulae out there,some simple some ridiculously complicated, they all seem to come withing 200kcals of each other, none of them are 100% accurate so it's all about tweaking it after.

The 1 I use (Lyle McDonald's formulae) is Bodyweight in lbs x 14-16 for maintenance calories then take away 500-1000 Kcals per day for 1-2lbs weightloss or Bodyweight in lbs x 11-13 will give you a similar number. The difference in the numbers is to do with activity so 14 & 11 being low activity -13 & 16 being very active

Signup for Fitday or caloriecount.com or 1 of the many other food diary/trackers on the web & see if you're getting near your calories, if not I'd strongly advise you to make the changes as these are the best ways to achieve long term results. If you're too hungry you wont stick with it as easy!
    Right lads and ladies I need some help. I am slowly edging towards the end of what has been a long struggle with binge eating (linked into depression etc.) and am starting to come out the other side. I have joined a gym - tommorrow is my 1st day - anyone with a hint on what program a total beginner should do would be most appreciated but as diet is 80% and exercise 20%, according to my doctor anyway, I wanted some information on diet. As part of my new regime I am eating as follows -
    - two weetabix with half a banana sliced on top for breakfast You need more protein & defo more calories at breakfast. Weetabix by all means aren't the worst choice when it comes to cereal BUT there's better foods you can be eating! Eggs or/& meat for breakfast will up your protein & fat intake for 1 & keep you fuller for longer.
    - Wrap with ham, lettuce, scallions, cucumber, tomato and a lil salad cream for lunchHow much ham are we talking? Is it waifer ham from a pack? Again, more meat &/or eggs is the answer here
    - dinner is usually chicken breast, three baby potatoes and an abundance of veg or wholewheat pasta, my own tomato sauce with chicken/mince and veg Same question as lunch! How much chicken? Just 1 breast? Double it :) The rest seems fine

I also make up a smoothie with mixed berries, flaxseed, 100ml orange and mango juice and two 0% vitalinia to have drinks of in between meals if i'm hungry and out and about and can't eat other snacks which I have when i'm at home which are fruit or raw veg. Nuts are also a great option here :)
    I also started taking a multivitamin because after all my years of binge eating crap, I'm definitely lacking in one of them! Any help from people who lead healthy lifestyles would be much appreciated as my aim is to not only lose the weight i have gained but to get healthy and fit again, cheers much!

Everything I mentioned there is something that should be done/added gradually to your routine. Small changes at a time, if you try everything at once you're more likely to get confused & possibly fail. I'll go over this again tomorrow when I'm not falling asleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

Thanks so much for the replies, have looked into the couch to 5k, sounds brilliant and thats what i'm going to follow. My cousin, who is a personal trainer, has set me up with a full regime this morning including warm up and toning etc combined with the couch to 5k so we're all systems go there!
    Burkatron - I get what you're saying about the breakfast I usually have two boiled eggs three times a week and the weetabix on the other days, what kind of meat would you suggest for breakfast?
    For lunch I do usually have just one slice of the prepacked ham, or if i can afford a proper piece of boiled ham i'd have that! And for dinner the chicken breast is the cheapest option for me at the moment so i'll up that from one piece to two, thanks for all your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

frulewis wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the replies, have looked into the couch to 5k, sounds brilliant and thats what i'm going to follow. My cousin, who is a personal trainer, has set me up with a full regime this morning including warm up and toning etc combined with the couch to 5k so we're all systems go there!
    Burkatron - I get what you're saying about the breakfast I usually have two boiled eggs three times a week and the weetabix on the other days, what kind of meat would you suggest for breakfast?
    For lunch I do usually have just one slice of the prepacked ham, or if i can afford a proper piece of boiled ham i'd have that! And for dinner the chicken breast is the cheapest option for me at the moment so i'll up that from one piece to two, thanks for all your help!

Anything you can stomach TBH, there's no hard & fast rule!

So all the meat you eat in the day is 1 slice of ham & 1 chicken breast? This needs to change, you need to eat more or it'll make it harder to stay away from trigger foods for snacks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement