Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work as a barber in australia

Options
  • 13-07-2012 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

hi guys.im looking at heading to australia and working in a barber shop.ive been at barbering for the past 5 years now and have my cert for it and hot towel shaving.and im currently managing a shop but head is wrecked here. so just wondering has anyone any tips on visas or is it not a trade thats in demand in oz?your help is much appreciated cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

jim1989 wrote: »
    hi guys.im looking at heading to australia and working in a barber shop.ive been at barbering for the past 5 years now and have my cert for it and hot towel shaving.and im currently managing a shop but head is wrecked here. so just wondering has anyone any tips on visas or is it not a trade thats in demand in oz?your help is much appreciated cheers:)
    Unless you are under 31 you won't get a visa I am afraid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭ObviouslyJesus

going by his username, id say he's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jim1989

ye lads ill be 23 this september

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Your best bet is to come here on a working holiday visa for a year (or two if you do regional work) and see how you like Aus and the work opportunities here and then if you want to stay you can work out a plan of action.

Don't know any specifics about barber work except from a customer point of view and given the prices charged here by some I reckon you could make a decent living if you got into right shop. I was quoted $30 in Perth a couple of years ago for a no. 2 buzz cut, I laughed and went and bought clippers for $20 and cut it myself :)

hahaha fair play.ye illl look into dat visa mate.cheers for advice.nice one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stephenmario

I met a guy from Laos who was a barber I think he was saying that there's plenty of work but his english wasn't good enough to get a job. I think most places will give you a trial so you should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I met a guy from Laos who was a barber I think he was saying that there's plenty of work but his english wasn't good enough to get a job. I think most places will give you a trial so you should be fine

I read that as Laois and was a bit confused! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Your best bet is to come here on a working holiday visa for a year (or two if you do regional work) and see how you like Aus and the work opportunities here and then if you want to stay you can work out a plan of action.

Don't know any specifics about barber work except from a customer point of view and given the prices charged here by some I reckon you could make a decent living if you got into right shop. I was quoted $30 in Perth a couple of years ago for a no. 2 buzz cut, I laughed and went and bought clippers for $20 and cut it myself :)

Thats shockin! Ye sure ye didn't walk into Toni and Guy or somewhere like that?!

jackbhoy wrote: »

Thats shockin! Ye sure ye didn't walk into Toni and Guy or somewhere like that?!

Jesus no! Was a run of the mill place just off one of main shopping streets in Perth, the girl working these was actually Irish, she was almost apologetic telling me price. The day I pay some fooker 30 bucks to run a set of clippers over my cean for 2 mins is day I have way more money that sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

So far I have never had a decent haircut here. Its shocking the standard that passes here.

So I resorted to other posters method of shaving my own head.

• Advertisement

im the total opposite,i ve had my best haircuts over here. the irish have zero sense of style
    ''a wan on the back and sides and a bit of the top please sir and gel me fringe so i can smack it down my forhead like some spider crawling on top of my bogger bonce''

aussies have a far superior sense of fashion and hair styles , there is no competetion. i was in g star on murray street last week and the shop assistant upon hearing my accent said straight away '' you want the boot cut right? ''

all the paddys with their baggy jeans. for feck sake, try and integrate for the love of god :eek:

Maybe you have fat ankles?

im the total opposite,i ve had my best haircuts over here. the irish have zero sense of style
    ''a wan on the back and sides and a bit of the top please sir and gel me fringe so i can smack it down my forhead like some spider crawling on top of my bogger bonce''

aussies have a far superior sense of fashion and hair styles , there is no competetion. i was in g star on murray street last week and the shop assistant upon hearing my accent said straight away '' you want the boot cut right? ''

all the paddys with their baggy jeans. for feck sake, try and integrate for the love of god :eek:

Is there any topic on this forum that you don't have a chip on your shoulder about and feel the need to make a smartarse remark on? It's getting a bit old at this stage.

im sorry my honesty about the irish grates on you jackbhoy
    i bet you look real cool in that celtic jersey you wear :cool:

im sorry my honesty opinion about the irish grates on you jackbhoy

FYP

im sorry my honesty about the irish grates on you jackbhoy
    i bet you look real cool in that celtic jersey you wear :cool:

Ha, thanks for fully validating my point so quickly!

do you not feel embarrassed trying to show your irishness? truth is ,we're not very liked over here because of the bogger backpacker idiots who cant hold their sauce. im yet to even kiss an irish girl over here,im so appalled by them. compare them to the beautiful aussie chicks or the sultry pacific islanders or the slim attaractive asians. no, the cailin isnt in her element unless shes swamping vodka, shoes in her hands, horsing into a kebab singing the wrong words to some xenophobic rebel song. roll on my residency is all i have to say, then i get citizenship,then i can cast off these irish shackles which are weighing me down
    ive even started to shave my legs to integrate

do you not feel embarrassed trying to show your irishness? truth is ,we're not very liked over here because of the bogger backpacker idiots who cant hold their sauce. im yet to even kiss an irish girl over here,im so appalled by them. compare them to the beautiful aussie chicks or the sultry pacific islanders or the slim attaractive asians. no, the cailin isnt in her element unless shes swamping vodka, shoes in her hands, horsing into a kebab singing the wrong words to some xenophobic rebel song. roll on my residency is all i have to say, then i get citizenship,then i can cast off these irish shackles which are weighing me down

I'm sure I speak for all of Ireland when I say we'll be sorry to see you go!

serious question : do you try and integrate or are you the archetypal paddy?

You dont have to leave behind the fact your Irish to integrate.

• Advertisement

maybe, but its an interesting topic of debate especially now. we're basically the polish of oz. it is going to be hard enough of a struggle without the actions of backpacking morons making it harder for us

One which has been debated before.

Anywayyyyyy back to Hairdressing and barbers

oz has made me a self loathing irishman

barbers in perth, i think they are top notch, they listen and do what you ask for. sure its pricey, close to thirty dollars but you pay near 20 back home for some hungover youngfella to ignore everything you said and make you look like an army cadet walking out

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

I remember hearing about this person a few years ago.
    http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2009/03/16/61455_lifestyle.html

Assume they could give you a fair idea or have a contact

lmao at some of the comments, cheers for the help cooper and the rest of yas bhoys!nice one. j

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

Seen plenty of shops around Melbourne looking for an apprentice and also renting out chairs in salons. Be a good way of getting the foot in the door anyway. Also the average cost of a haircut is $20, theres money to be made if your good at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

You should have said, yeah, I'll have the boot cut instead of looking like a trendy twat with skinny jeans, a vest and a twat hipster quiff... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Was speaking to an Irish guy working in Lawson's (i think) barbers in Sydney and he seemed to get work pretty fast, think within a couple of weeks of landing, he could of been lucky but if not that's a good sign for you. Worthwhile trying to get in touch with some work agencies to see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Switching over to skinny jeans and shaving your legs. Wow. You are so much more integrated than me. LMFAO. That's ridiculous.

I'm all for integration with local culture. But adopting somebody else's fashion sense for the sake of it just makes to sound like a sheep. Choose your fashion sense based on what you like, not what you think you are supposed to like.

• Advertisement

I don’t wear skinny jeans. Firstly cos they look ridiculous, secondly I play rugby so my legs are quite big. I do wear fitted jeans though. My pont about the jeans is, that you can spot the paddys a mile off as they all wear these ridiculous baggy boot cut jeans that you can only seem to buy in Ireland cos we’re so far behind in terms of fashion and I suppose the local Michael Guineys Boutique in Caherciveen stocks them at a low price
    And I shaved my legs out of morbid curiosity as most of my aussie team mates have done so and I gotta admit, its pretty cool having hairless legs.luckily ive been blessed with sultry genes (not the boot cut kind you’re thinking of btw) and I look quite good with brown shaved legs as opposed to as if some Mick from Tipperary did it where he’d resemble a plucked chicken stuffed inside a milk bottle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement