Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EU want NCT yearly from 6yrs old + NCT for bikes and scooters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Agree on the bikes/scooters, But the annual NCT for a 6yo or older car is bollox.

Leave it at 10.

Also should add, I'd like to see a test for Tractors and machinery and also trailers like horseboxs etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Ka...ching!!!

There is logic in this though. Parts can get a bit shaky 6 years in and 2 years is a bit long for people who just do not maintain their cars..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

NCT for pushbikes must be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I have to do it every year on mine ... is it really that big a deal :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Any excuse to force people to spend more money.
    Probably lobbied by the European motor industry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Not really. Sure a DOE is much more expensive and yearly too

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is logic in this though. Parts can get a bit shaky 6 years in and 2 years is a bit long for people who just do not maintain their cars..
    Indeed, I think the logic behind it is that many people don't get a yearly service on their car, they just go to a mechanic when something is broken.

I'm guessing the aim here is to try and get people consider their car's maintenance on a regular basis, because two years is plenty of time for things to go wrong, especially when the car is starting to get on a bit.

It has to be balanced though, otherwise you're just penalising people who do look after their vehicles. Many people don't buy cars less than six years old, this proposal is a sting for them.

Maybe it's worthwhile looking at a scheme whereby the NCT is incorporated in the cost of a service. So as part of a service package, a mechanic can give an owner a voucher for the NCT. The mechanic pays nothing for the voucher and the owner only pays for the service. So people who look after their cars don't get penalised. On the other hand, if you don't need/want to get your car serviced on a yearly basis, or you do it yourself, you can just pay the €50 and present your car.

If the vouchers can be traced back to the garage who issued them, the scope for abuse is minimal.

No issue at all with the bike test, so many rustbuckets flying about the place out there, and bikes are one area where the integrity of the bike is massively critical to safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Aaaaaaaa feck of will ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Mot in the UK is every ear after the car is 3 years old, which results in better minded cars. Mot fee is £54.85 which is around €70 at todays rate.

It would not be any harm to have it every year.

At least Paddy would have to take better care of his car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

No biggie. If the cars are serviced regularly, then it shouldn't be a problem should it? :confused:

In the UK, you have to MoT the car yearly from 3 yo anyway, so I don't see what the problem is...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Definitely should be in place for motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

No...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mot in the UK is every ear after the car is 3 years old, which results in better minded cars. Mot fee is £54.85 which is around €70 at todays rate.

Nct cert is not a sign of a good car or mechanicly safe car. I prove that every single time I am on lookout for a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

No biggie. If the cars are serviced regularly, then it shouldn't be a problem should it? :confused:

In the UK, you have to MoT the car yearly from 3 yo anyway, so I don't see what the problem is...

Exactly, especially coupled with the fact that the only thing that forces Irish people to spend any bit of money on the upkeep and maintenance of their cars is the NCT. At least making it an annual thing it will hopefully force people to get their cars some basic level of maintenance every year instead of every two as is the case at present.

The NCT should be made an annual occurrence once the car is three years old like it is in the UK, but the price of it should be halved as a goodwill gesture to people that actually do bother to maintain their cars properly, so that they are not out of pocket for doing the kind of things everyone should be doing in the first place.

It will also get rid of the stigma of owning a 10 year old car as well, because the current system is extremely unfair on people who own cars that are over 10 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

NCT for pushbikes must be next.

Funny you should say that. I got stopped by a PSNI checkpoint once while riding my bike on the Antrim coast road near Ballycastle. He checked my brakes worked and questioned why I didn't have a bell. I couldn't believe it and would've thought they have better things to do with their time. Only a complete lunatic would ride the Antrim coast road without brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

No biggie.
    In the UK, you have to MoT the car yearly from 3 yo anyway, so I don't see what the problem

The NCT should be made an annual occurrence once the car is three years old like it is in the UK, but the price of it should b

What is it with copying whatever the Brits do home in this country? This is not UK here and it is not like UK had it right. In the UK overall, cars are in a quiet poor state and corrupting a MOT tester over there is very common and easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If the NCT is every two years, I'd be a bit more fussy about passing it and making sure everything is OK.
    For some reason, if it's yearly I just do my oil changes and only fix what comes up on the NCT.
    Because if you where to especially prepare your car for the NCT every year, it'd cost a fortune. So I don't. Has served me well so far.
    But it has not improved the level of service my car has received. It's just a cave in to a current plague of environment and health and safety nazis. If it where up to them we'd have to buy a new car every year, do 25 tests and throw it away after that. Plus drive everywhere at 25 km/h. Reading The Guardian would be compulsory.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nct cert is not a sign of a good car or mechanicly safe car. I prove that every single time I am on lookout for a new car.

It's not perfect but it's a lot better than no test.

bmstuff wrote: »

What is it with copying whatever the Brits do home in this country? This is not UK here and it is not like UK had it right. In the UK overall, cars are in a quiet poor state and corrupting a MOT tester over there is very common and easy.

I think the UK has it fairly nailed down. They have fair tax and a proper enforcement system, SORN etc. MOT seems to work well.

There is no mickey mouse stuff and inconsistency which we have in Ireland.

What's wrong with copying things they do well? I can never understand this mindset in this country at times that we can't do something just because 'them across the water' do it. Without being political, we should be mature enough as a nation not to be doing things differently from them just for the sake of showing the rest of the world (and the Brits themselves) that we're a different country - everyone knows we're not the same anyway.

For what it's worth, the MoT system in the UK is a joke, but we don't use that system as you well know.

Their idea of an annual test once the car is three years old is an excellent one in principle for a country like Ireland where the attitude is to spend as little as possible on maintaining your car, and at least the NCT is far less open to manipulation so it actually has the potential to improve attitudes in peoples' attitudes towards car maintenance in this country - and that benefits all motorists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Wow, I was still pondering posting about the utter uselessness of the MOT on a UK forum. Its a hopeless test, best I can figure you pay your local garage to "get car passed MOT, here is some cash".

Every car I have bought in the UK has had a recent MOT and everyone of them would have rightfully instantly failed an NCT. Eg the last one had a fresh MOT the week before but has:

- Siezed Brake caliper
    - 2 blown shocks and possibly 2 broken springs
    - Expanding foam sprayed into rear springs (?)
    - 80% of front bushings completely worn out
    - Steering linkages worn or broken (very obvious even to a layman)
    - Half exhaust hangers missing, other half about to snap
    - Fog light filled with water
    - Most likely emissions and engine running problems due to 3 severed vacuum hoses

This is what passes as a MOT worthy car. Its a joke of a test, I critique the NCT for being too hard, but the MOT is the other extreme, its purely a money making racket and in no way reflects safety or quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

This is great news. I'm sick of seeing numerous cars driving around with broken headlights and taillights. Some people really are too ignorant to have their car serviced every year and need to be forced to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I think there should be a mileage qualification also. Perhaps cars over 80k should be annually tested regardless of age. And, yes, that lights issue really needs enforcing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

agree about MOT in Uk, that there is some high corruption in system. 4 years ago, i got jeep , for export to other country. Just about imported fro USA with fresh MOT jeep grand cherokee. right... when i got registered in my country, went for test. front lights failed because it was scratched (or sanded .... for some reason) ,no handbrake at all, seized front right caliper, one tie rod gone, both rear suspension arms (cant remember exact name, but pretty big bars) gone, all tyres cracked ... has to be replaced. that MOT is joke. agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

It will however force more people to take better care of their car, which is only a good thing.

Also, it might finally provide a decent mechanism to prevent clocking here and provide some mileage tracability.

PaulKK wrote: »
    Also, it might finally provide a decent mechanism to prevent clocking here and provide some mileage tracability.

That is another benefit, the obvious thing to do here is to upload the mileages recorded at the NCT onto the national mileage register.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

PaulKK wrote: »
    It will however force more people to take better care of their car

That's only if they actually get their car tested.
    This is great news. I'm sick of seeing numerous cars driving around with broken headlights and taillights. Some people really are too ignorant to have their car serviced every year and need to be forced to do so.

You do realise alot of those cars you see with poor lights have NO valid NCT!! So it doesn't matter how often you have to test those cars they will continue to ignore until stopped & prosecuted which is a very tiny percentage of these lawbreakers out there.....

Even most (not all) checkpoints will wave you through even with an expired NCT...

So no matter what is said, this is all about getting more government revenue. As most normal law abiding citizens will pay it without question.

And those that break the law will continue to do so as getting prosecuted is very small compared to the financial saving they make. (Avoiding NCT & Tax)

To back up my point I was in a supermaket car park the other day and with a few min to spare I had a look to see how many were 100% legal with valid Tax/Ins & NCT....Out of 8 cars older than 4 years.....guess??

3 were legal
    2 had no valid tax or NCT (One had a NCT disc from 2010 displayed!!)
    2 had no NCT
    1 had no tax

Deffo believe this suggestion is down to raise revenue as no 1....then safety etc...

Those that care about there safety will always obey & those that take a chance will always take a chance...

Without better enforcement no amount of new laws will change this....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Can't wait for the posts "moron in the NCT dropped my bike".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

furtzy wrote: »
    Definitely should be in place for motorbikes.

Motorcyclists have enough of there own proposed changes to deal with....
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Motorcycles/National_Motorcycle_Action_Plan.pdf

Because if all those changes get implimented there won't be any left on the roads ...
    And it'll be back to focusing on getting the most out of the private car driver...

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Do you mean quite?? And on what do you base the assumption the cars are in a poor state? In the UK, cars are much more likely to be properly serviced than they are here. Reason? The good old MoT rolling round every year.

I sold my Peugeot here. Everyone who looked at my car commented on how well it was kept. Another big selling point was the FSH, together with every bill paid for the car, and copies of the MoT certs.

Clearly, you never read the story about the NCT testers taking backhanders here either...

Advertisement