Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin 8 the Irish Shoreditch?

• 12-07-2012 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Specifically the junction of Patrick St and Kevin St.
    Just moved there recently with work and really loving the vibe, mainly due to the fact that I keep finding great new places in easy walking distance.

Around the corner from me is the Olive Cafe in Fumbally Studios. Really nice cafe esp in the sun and if you're a smoker.
    50 yards further is the Fumbally, big funky new cafe destined to be a hipster favourite.
    Great new ice cream parlor, Furlong and Kehoes just at the end of Francis St.
    And to my delight, the small bakery on Francis St, Lovin something, is chock full of really gorgeous high class nosh at cheap prices. Ate a brill chicken burrito there for €4! Duck pies, croque monsieurs, joy!

Added to this is the young vibe around the place - lots of media type organisations seem to be based in the area, and hipsters, which is fine if they dont get on your wick too much

Newmarket square could be amazing if something was done with it. The Blackpitts would be a brilliant public park if the developers could be persuaded.

Really digging it but anything I'm missing out on? Pubs wise don't have a bog.
    Any other inhabitants want to clue me in on some hidden gems? Haven't tried the Cathedral Cafe or the other one on Patrick St.
    Cork St a bit crap far as I can see but all input appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Sounds like utter hell ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Kumejima wrote: »
    Specifically the junction of Patrick St and Kevin St.
    Just moved there recently with work and really loving the vibe, mainly due to the fact that I keep finding great new places in easy walking distance.

Around the corner from me is the Olive Cafe in Fumbally Studios. Really nice cafe esp in the sun and if you're a smoker.
    50 yards further is the Fumbally, big funky new cafe destined to be a hipster favourite.
    And to my delight, the small bakery on Francis St, Lovin something, is chock full of really gorgeous high class nosh at cheap prices. Ate a brill chicken burrito there for €4! Duck pies, croque monsieurs, joy!

Added to this is the young vibe around the place - lots of media type organisations seem to be based in the area, and hipsters, which is fine if they dont get on your wick too much

Newmarket square could be amazing if something was done with it. The Blackpitts would be a brilliant public park if the developers could be persuaded.

Really digging it but anything I'm missing out on? Pubs wise don't have a bog.
    Any other inhabitants want to clue me in on some hidden gems? Haven't tried the Cathedral Cafe or the other one on Patrick St.
    Cork St a bit crap far as I can see but all input appreciated

They have the Co Op Market down there, organic stuff every Saturday and Thursday, different markets (indoors and outdoors) every Sunday. It's quite fun over there indeed, a decent community in itself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Same can be said of Stoneybatter where knacker meets hipster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Are you actually serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Hahahaha...bwwuaahahahaaahahaha.

Err. No.

The corner of Kevin St & Patrick St is, just that. Not shoreditch nor any other daft comparison.

Shoreditch being much larger, containing dozens of cafes, bars, restaurants and nightclubs. Shoreditch being full of city workers, media types, muppet hipsters and students. Not that I'm crazy about shoreditch, but it's developed around creative industries, artists and money washing in from the City.

Mind you, as you rightly say, you can buy an ice cream and have a burrito...on the corner of Kevin St and Patrick St.

Let Dublin be Dublin...it's not NY, London or any other major world financial & cultural centre. Nor does it need to be !

Silly hipster is silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

I'm not suggesting this is on a scale with Shoreditch, just that this area seems to be showing signs of something, growth, energy whatever that's comparable with Shoreditch say 6 years ago - a very rundown part of town is gradually being transformed positively by people with new ideas.
    Maybe there are other not so salubrious parts of Dublin where this is happening
    I don't know.

I would never compare Dublin with London or New York. Its a small provincial town, not particularly easy to live in, but despite being a bit of a hole, I quite like this small part of it.

Sorry if my enthusiasm is "lame".
    Let me rephrase the thread - whats the most up and coming part of town?

"Adjective Noun is Adjective" LOLROFLCOPTER

No, it's not showing growth and energy like or comparable or anything vaguely resembling like Shoreditch 6 years ago. 6 years ago shoreditch was within a mile of the biggest financial centre, awash with money which funded arts, property and entertainment development. From the 80s onward a burgeoning art scene helped gentrify the area and generated international interest in the area and the artists living there.

None of that is happening in Dublin 8. An ice cream and a duck pie do not represent in the same type of development of an area.

No one mentioned lame enthusiasm...hilariously naive perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I am pie wrote: »
    No, it's not showing growth and energy like or comparable or anything vaguely resembling like Shoreditch 6 years ago. 6 years ago shoreditch was within a mile of the biggest financial centre, awash with money which funded arts, property and entertainment development. From the 80s onward a burgeoning art scene helped gentrify the area and generated international interest in the area and the artists living there.

None of that is happening in Dublin 8. An ice cream and a duck pie do not represent in the same type of development of an area.

No one mentioned lame enthusiasm...hilariously naive perhaps.

Isn't boards.ie so fun Kumejima?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Degsy wrote: »
    Are you actually serious?
    For real, like are you actually like totallo for realsies, y'know wh...

*checks username*

\gets coat

Isn't boards.ie so fun Kumejima?

Bless...still, you can always nip over to rainbows and lollipops for a spot of la-la land if that's what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Jaysus the lad/lady actually likes Dublin and gets criticised for it??

It's a nice change to see a positive thread on here instead of the ''Is Dublin a junkie filled stab city where death waits on every corner?'' threads that seem to be all the rage at the moment!

Jaysus the lad/lady actually likes Dublin and gets criticised for it??

It's a nice change to see a positive thread on here instead of the ''Is Dublin a junkie filled stab city where death waits on every corner?'' threads that seem to be all the rage at the moment!

I'm not criticising Dublin, or criticising anyone for liking Dublin. I've only explained why the comparison is daft, i've done my best to explain why. It should be pretty clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I've actually noticed some life coming back onto Francis St.

Last Sunday for example, I saw Michael Mortell (well known designer) working on his new shop, and Kevin Sharkey working on his - also new - gallery (a returnee having left the street a year or two ago)

So to some extent I can agree with the OP. I stress to some extent.

Never been to Shoreditch though so can't compare :cool: Not that comparing Dublin & London is ever reasonable. Different scales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

The op has a point; the Newmarket/Blackpitts area does have a lot going on; there's no need to compare it directly to Shoreditch though-it's just like any area close to a city centre with low rents and plenty of interesting spaces that's colonised by young artistic types before becoming yuppified a few years later-see Greenwich Village in the 50s or Williamsburg in the 90s.

In D8 this has been going on for a lot longer due to the presence of NCAD and Francis St's traditional status as home for many galleries and antique shops. Following the property crash, there are lots of vacant buildings in the area which are very suitable for studios, media start-ups, loft-dwellings etc. Aside from places already mentioned, there's a new artists' studios complex going into the school on The Coombe, recording studios on Blackpitts itself the monthly broquante in Newmarket Square etc.

I am pie wrote: »
    Bless...still, you can always nip over to rainbows and lollipops for a spot of la-la land if that's what you need.

A deficit in cynicism is something I've never been accused of before so cool....
    I'll be sure to post more stuff I like as I find it. You can keep knocking it if you like. Knock yourself out, really.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

OP, you're essentially talking here about gentrification. Don't mind people saying it's nothing like Shoreditch... I have a feeling you never meant it to be taken so literally. It usually happens where areas have a significant student and/or immigrant population. See Rathmines, which would be at a more advanced stage of the process.

It's easy to say that Thomas St / Francis St and the surrounding area is hipster. Which it is, don't get me wrong. But it's not *only* hipster. Theres a lot of professionals in the area too -- the percentage of people with postgrads or doctorates is comparable with more 'established' middle class suburbs like Churchtown or Raheny. (At least it was according to Census 2006; I'm sure it's still the case today.)

So while the demography (i.e. the people themselves) of an area can change relatively quickly, the shops and services are slow to catch up with the demand. This is probably why you're noticing these little cafes popping up -- there's latent demand.

If you're interested in the subject from an academic point of view, check out the Rent Gap Theory. This is basically the "gap" between current use of land compared to its potential use.

Aard wrote: »

It's easy to say that Thomas St / Francis St and the surrounding area is hipster. Which it is, don't get me wrong. But it's not *only* hipster. Theres a lot of professionals in the area too -- the percentage of people with postgrads or doctorates is comparable with more 'established' middle class suburbs like Churchtown or Raheny.

Bloody hell..anytime i've been there it was full of druggies and people selling knock-off tracksuits,toilet paper and washing powder from stalls.

Degsy wrote: »
    Bloody hell..anytime i've been there it was full of druggies and people selling knock-off tracksuits,toilet paper and washing powder from stalls.

They're there alright. But so am I. And I'm a gentrified professional hipster :) That's what's so cool about the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Dublin 8 isn't the new Shoreditch, it's the new Prenzlauer Berg! :D

Aard wrote: »
    OP, you're essentially talking here about gentrification. Don't mind people saying it's nothing like Shoreditch... I have a feeling you never meant it to be taken so literally. It usually happens where areas have a significant student and/or immigrant population. See Rathmines, which would be at a more advanced stage of the process.

It's easy to say that Thomas St / Francis St and the surrounding area is hipster. Which it is, don't get me wrong. But it's not *only* hipster. Theres a lot of professionals in the area too -- the percentage of people with postgrads or doctorates is comparable with more 'established' middle class suburbs like Churchtown or Raheny. (At least it was according to Census 2006; I'm sure it's still the case today.)

So while the demography (i.e. the people themselves) of an area can change relatively quickly, the shops and services are slow to catch up with the demand. This is probably why you're noticing these little cafes popping up -- there's latent demand.

If you're interested in the subject from an academic point of view, check out the Rent Gap Theory. This is basically the "gap" between current use of land compared to its potential use.

Wow! A considered and courteous reply. Thanks for that. One thing that is lacking in the area is a decent park. The Patricks Cathedral isnt really suitable. Anyone know of other options? The Blackpitts site would be brilliant.
    Theres another vacant lot next to the garage on Mill St. The HSE seems to have sewn up all the decent Cork St properties.

BTW, pub recommendations anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

BTW, pub recommendations anyone?

Fallons!

As for comparing D8 to Shoreditch, go and sh!te! :mad:

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    They're there alright. But so am I. And I'm a gentrified professional hipster :)

Ah..what the druggies call "lunch" :)

One thing that is lacking in the area is a decent park. The Patricks Cathedral isnt really suitable.

Why not???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

it was better years ago:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I find the Canal around Portobello quite decent, loads of ducks and swans and stuff like that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Know what you mean OP but you may be exaggerating slightly.

Have to say though the ice cream from that new shop at the top of Francis Street is bloody delish though.

P.S. keep sthum about the place, it's nice and cheap and close to town, don't want the secret getting out now do we ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

One of the real similaraties linking Dublin 8 with Shoreditch is the hidieous architecture to be found in both areas.

Every architecture student should be taken down the west side of Patrick street (opposite the catherdal) to be shown how disasterous planning can destroy an entire streetscape in a historic location.

Meanwhile in Shoreditch, the only positive thing I can say about the multi story car park at the American carwash on Holywell lane is that it is such an ugly monstrosity, it diverts the eye from all the other crap that surrounds it.

+ 1 for Fallons pub by the way. (AKA, The Capstan)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

i always think how nice the area seems when im driving through, might head that direction now actually....do spots tend to be open on sundays?

9 Years ahead of the curve!

Dublin 8 in the Top 15 Coolest neighbourhoods on the planet according to TimeOut

I'll take your apologies in the comments, bitches!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

haha saw that yesterday. But if D8 is the new Shoreditch then where is the Cereal Cafe selling bowls of Coco Pops for a fiver?!

Advertisement