Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

markets in south east

Options
  • 12-07-2012 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi all, im just wondering if anyone has any experience of selling home baked goods or crafts at markets in the south east. Is it worth the hassle or any recomendations?

Also, does anyone know of anywhere that has cheap prices for cupcake boxes etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

We have been there as the expression goes. Depends what you are making, Bread needas to be cooked prior to going to market, which involves getting up very early, about 4am.
    Apple tarts and buns can be made the afternoon before, don't forget you have to source the apples, Lidl's price is good, then peel and cook, then make the tart, you will need more than one oven depending the quantity you intend to make.
    The more choice the harder it is, and it would also help to have someone with you, you cannot do it all yourself.
    Pricing is dodgy, to dear and no sale, before wqe forget where you going to source the flour from, cheap flour is no substitutre for quality.
    What about display? Tables covering baskets etc.
    Before we start HSE or whoever will need to test your water for ecoli etc, then where is the food being produced, your own kitchen or a proper made kitchen which conforms to the required standard.
    You see a lot of food at markets which is crap, just look how the sellers are dressed, hand washing facilities?
    It is a commitment, look before you leap, but it can be great fun.
    One more thing how are you transporting the food to the market.
    Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

We have been there as the expression goes. Depends what you are making, Bread needas to be cooked prior to going to market, which involves getting up very early, about 4am.
    Apple tarts and buns can be made the afternoon before, don't forget you have to source the apples, Lidl's price is good, then peel and cook, then make the tart, you will need more than one oven depending the quantity you intend to make.
    The more choice the harder it is, and it would also help to have someone with you, you cannot do it all yourself.
    Pricing is dodgy, to dear and no sale, before wqe forget where you going to source the flour from, cheap flour is no substitutre for quality.
    What about display? Tables covering baskets etc.
    Before we start HSE or whoever will need to test your water for ecoli etc, then where is the food being produced, your own kitchen or a proper made kitchen which conforms to the required standard.
    You see a lot of food at markets which is crap, just look how the sellers are dressed, hand washing facilities?
    It is a commitment, look before you leap, but it can be great fun.
    One more thing how are you transporting the food to the market.
    Good Luck

I better think of a new hobbie :eek: I think it would be too much hassle and the fun element would be lost considering it would be just me doing it. I do have high hygiene standards though, it annoys people :D You just reminded me of a market I was at and there was a crepe stall and I thought oh goody! As I approached i could see a bucket of dirty water that they were using to wash their utensils and hands.... i didn't get a crepe that day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Couch Potatoette

I'm also interested in doing this. Or else maybe some sort of crafts at a market. Do you need to have your water tested before you can even sell at local markets? Is it expensive to get the water tested. I was wondering if you could try out the markets for a bit and if you plan on doing it long term then you could look into getting the health and safety stuff sorted out. Do you have to pay for a stand at the market? Also, does anyone know all the regular markets around the south east or if there's a website listing them.

Advertisement