Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an iMac.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jose-fahartose

Anyone familiar with Apple Refurbs know will refurbished iMac's (the new 2012/2013? model) usually start showing up straight after the new refresh or will they hold back for a certain amount of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Anyone familiar with Apple Refurbs know will refurbished iMac's (the new 2012/2013? model) usually start showing up straight after the new refresh or will they hold back for a certain amount of time?

I think it's at least 1 month, sometimes 2.

An unconfirmed leak about the chipboard here;

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1467994

"The redesigned iMac is said to be considerably thinner than the current form factor"

This doen't inspire me to think about picking up a new iMac. A thinner phone I can understand, but why do you need a thinner iMac? It's not like I'm ever aware of it while working. Make it slightly thicker and put in a proper CPU.

its official,
    apple media event next week,,
    Linky

iPad mini on the way and revamped iMacs seemingly.
    Hope you held off on purchasing

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

Eventually got around to ordering (after much deliberating and justifying cost). Order placed on Jan 21.
    Apple store is telling me it delivers in 3-4 weeks - in my case Feb 21 - 22.
    Are folks finding these delivery estimates to be accurate or are Apple under promising and over-delivering?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There are yield problems with the panels in the new iMac, hence the delay. But yeah, Apple's delivery estimates are generally conservative. You'll almost certainly get it earlier than February 21. How much earlier depends.

• Advertisement

There are yield problems with the panels in the new iMac, hence the delay. But yeah, Apple's delivery estimates are generally conservative. You'll almost certainly get it earlier than February 21. How much earlier depends.
    Thanks SP.
    Status has changed in the last few hours and is now Preparing for Shipment.
    Delivery date is still showing Feb 21 - but hopefully that's conservative as you say.
    Am like a kid waiting for Christmas - checking account hourly :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i had to wait about 3 weeks for my new iMac. I did order mine through Hardly Normal (Apple dont accept One4All vouchers) but it was saying delivery in Jan when I ordered it in Dec, after christmas.

A helpful hint for anyone ordering iMacs via Hardly Normal, pay in full instead of putting down a deposit. You will jump ahead of the queue of those waiting who have only paid a deposit. Apparently this is Apple policy as they want to service fully paid up customers first.

Cheers D.
    Ordered mine direct.
    Things seem to be moving along pretty quickly - status changed to shipped this morning and delivery estimate is now Feb 14.
    Still no charge showing on my credit card - maybe its an elaborate Valentine's present from those romantic folks at Apple!

Forgot to ask D, how are you finding it ...any useful tips for getting started (am first time Mac user)?

Just noticing from the shipment mail that they seem to have thrown in some software - was planning on using ms office but it would be a nice bonus.

PAGES 065-C13D NONE
    NUMBERS 065-C13F NONE
    KEYNOTE 065-C13G NONE

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's iWork. You'll be able to download it for free from the App Store.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I thought Macs only came with iLife.

Yeah, sorry, I meant iLife. I always get those two mixed up. iWork is a separate purchase.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Looks like stantheman8 might have got a bonus with his purchase then. It's not unheard of, last time I got double the amount of RAM :D

It says "None" though. I think that might just come up on all orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Forgot to ask D, how are you finding it ...any useful tips for getting started (am first time Mac user)?

I am so glad I got the iMac and didnt opt for a windows machine. I am a first time Mac user too so I am still getting to grips with it. I eventually took the plunge and got a Mac after years of iOS devices

Graham wrote: »
    Looks like stantheman8 might have got a bonus with his purchase then. It's not unheard of, last time I got double the amount of RAM :D

iMac arrived last week, but no sign of any freebie software so I'm not sure what the notes on my config were about.
    Am very happy with it though - it's a beautiful piece of kit to work with.

Advertisement