Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season bet Prem

Options
  • 10-07-2012 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

A bet that already sticks out to me to last the whole season is QPR to finish ahead of both Norwich and Swansea

Stan James going 4/6 on QPR

Having quite a large bet on this.

Will come back to it at points during the season to update how it is going

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Here is a write up on the bet from the article I came across and found it in
    Swansea and Norwich took the Premier League by surprise last season in finishing eleventh and twelfth respectively but we all know it is far more difficult to follow up with a successful sequel. Both clubs were built on hard-work and a defined style implemented by young ambitious managers, so ambitious that both have already moved on to higher ground. Glyfi Sigurdsson has also shunned the Swans in the wake of Rodgers' departure and in Michael Laudrup the Welsh side have a manager that has lasted little over a season in any of his last three managerial roles. We like the look of 9/4 the Swans sink.

Norwich meanwhile also lost their leader. Lambert led the Canaries to two successive promotions and now he has gone we expect tough times at Carrow Road this season. Hughton was lauded for his job at Newcastle but after Pardew's success since his sacking, suddenly the job didn't look all that impressive. We wouldn't discourage anyone from backing 13/8 against Norwich going down.

However, the bet which really appeals is QPR to be top of the second syndrome trio. Hughes' side narrowly escaped relegation at the end of last season but with more time and more money, Rangers should comfortably avoid the drop and could be a fair shout at a top ten finish at 7/2. Park Ji-Sung, Fabio and Andy Johnson look decent acquisitions and Joey Barton's destructive absence could be a blessing in disguise. We are highly confident that come May QPR will sit comfortably above both Norwich and Swansea - which looks far likelier than the 8/11 price.

Best price now is 4/6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Not just a prem bet but I've put a 10er on Porto, Barca, man utd, PSG, Juventus, to win their leagues and Bolton and Sheff Utd to get promoted. 10 wins 3.5k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Not just a prem bet but I've put a 10er on Porto, Barca, man utd, PSG, Juventus, to win their leagues and Bolton and Sheff Utd to get promoted. 10 wins 3.5k

I'd say Utd might be the weak link in there tbh. Pretty good bet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Put a similar one on today

€10 gets €2100
    • Porto
    • Real Madrid
    • United
    • PSG
    • PSV
    • Juventus
    • Bayern Munich

United will find it tough but I'm a United fan so I couldn't bear to back City. PSV aren't exactly favourites either and Real are going to have stiff competition as always but here's hoping!

Schism wrote: »
    Put a similar one on today

€10 gets €2100
    • Porto
    • Real Madrid
    • United
    • PSG
    • PSV
    • Juventus
    • Bayern Munich

United will find it tough but I'm a United fan so I couldn't bear to back City. PSV aren't exactly favourites either and Real are going to have stiff competition as always but here's hoping!

What odds you get when you leave out PSV and Utd? :) That'd look a pretty good bet I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Only 18/1. I think it's worth the chance for a €10 on a season long bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,923 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

man utd outside the top 4 is 8/1

tempting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Headshot wrote: »

tempting

24 points ahead of 5th place last season. Have signed an excellent player in Kagawa and going to sign more. The likes of de Gea, Evans, Smalling, Jones, Rafael, Cleverley, Welbeck will be a year older and will surely improve. Ferguson has never finished below third in the PL and has always been 1st or 2nd bar a couple of seasons.

I'll give you 10/1 on them not finishing in the top 4.

As iv been saying for years a Cm is wanted, they had to get a 37yr old back to save the season which is quite sad. Referring to kag, quality player in Germany but there's a huge difference between the leagues and culture. Wouldnt surprise me if it takes him a season to get use to new surroundings

Some of those players you mentioned arent good enough tbh. If Ronney gets injured, utd are ****ed

Well United were still comfortably finishing in the top 4 with or without Scholes. Their point average before Scholes' return is fairly similar to their points average after. There's no doubt that CM is the weakest area of the team, but that's been the case for years now and it hasn't stopped them being up there. The rest of the team is stocked with a fair bit of quality apart from left back, a position which will be sorted if Baines is bought.

On Kagawa, he settled in very quickly at Dortmund and I'd be surprised if he didn't do the same at United. Might take time to adapt but I can't see that making or breaking the chances of a top 4 finish.

Oh and I forgot to mention the fact that Vidic will be back, I know he mightn't be the same but there's still a chance he will be. And last season was one of the worst in the club's history injury wise yet we still challenged, we'll surely have less injuries next season.

I'd be pretty surprised if the team isn't challenging for the league next season, getting into the top 4 won't be an issue in the slightest imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

tempting

LOL, despite significantly strengthening their frontline/tactical options with Kagawa and a lot of their younger players a year older and more developed (Smalling, Jones, Rafael, Welbeck, Chicharito, de Gea, Evans, Cleverley etc etc)? Add in Vidic, who they were without pretty much all season and the fact that the points gap back to the rest is simply massive.

Silly bet to take. You're basically betting on Arsenal and one from Spurs/Liverpool/Newcastle finishing ahead of a Ferguson-lead team (assuming City and Chelsea are nailed on top 4 finishers). Not in a million years.

Anyone going to back ibrahimovic to be top scorer in france? Is there any decent prices around for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Anyone going to back ibrahimovic to be top scorer in france? Is there any decent prices around for it?

5/1 with Boyles I think. Excellent price, I can't see anyone challenging him.

BKC wrote: »
    5/1 with Boyles I think. Excellent price, I can't see anyone challenging him.

Are Boyles the only ones to have a price up yet? looks like only injury would stop him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Are Boyles the only ones to have a price up yet? looks like only injury would stop him

You'll have to ring Boyles to get that price. I can't see it priced up anywhere I've checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Who do you fancy for most assists? valencia and hazard at 16/1 seem tempting?

racso1975 wrote: »

What's Silva? He went missing during a part of last season, was superb otherwise. If he can fire on all cylinders he could get most assists.

One bet that might be interesting, Clint Dempsey top scorer. Liverpool interested. Got 17 last season. Joint 4th.

E/W bet could be decent. He's 50/1

Samich wrote: »
    One bet that might be interesting, Clint Dempsey top scorer. Liverpool interested. Got 17 last season. Joint 4th.

E/W bet could be decent. He's 50/1

Nah wouldn't go near it. He was Fulham's main man last season, most of their attacks were built around him. At Liverpool he'd have to share the responsibility with Suarez, Borini, Carroll/new striker, Gerrard etc.

Even if he stays at Fulham, it's unlikely he'll have such a productive season again imo.

Samich wrote: »
    racso1975 wrote: »

What's Silva? He went missing during a part of last season, was superb otherwise. If he can fire on all cylinders he could get most assists.

Think Silva is 10/1. Looks as good a bet as any at that price

• Advertisement

tempting

RVP will be saying no to this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

Aston Villa to be relegated is 9/4 with Will Hill. There are probably better odds about but given their lack of activity during the transfer window, I think it's worth a score.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Aston Villa to be relegated is 9/4 with Will Hill. There are probably better odds about but given their lack of activity during the transfer window, I think it's worth a score.

Think Lambert will turn them around. They are a better team than Norwich once he settles in they will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

tempting

lol

lol

hindsight is a wonderful thing aint it

Who would of known the PL would be this poor. The poorest season in some time. Any other year and utd wouldnt be champions.

hindsight is a wonderful thing aint it

Who would of known the PL would be this poor. The poorest season in some time. Any other year and utd wouldnt be champions.
    They're not just winning by a small head though they're p*ssing it. They have the best win % ever for this stage of the season. Credit where its due.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

lol
    They're not just winning by a small head though they're p*ssing it. They have the best win % ever for this stage of the season. Credit where its due.

What's your point? This isn't the soccer forum, makes zero sense to laugh at someone for posting a losing tip after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,288 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's Flah

bohsman wrote: »
    What's your point? This isn't the soccer forum, makes zero sense to laugh at someone for posting a losing tip after the fact.

It was the height of stupidity go ever even consider such a bet in the first place. Anyone who went there must be allergic to money or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

It was the height of stupidity go ever even consider such a bet in the first place. Anyone who went there must be allergic to money or something.

I'm gonna take a guess and say you're a United fan? And you're here just so you can have praise on your wonderful team who are doing so well in the league. And they are SOOOO good that nobody should ever bet against them :)

Advertisement