Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Olympics 2012 Thread

• 10-07-2012 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

Thought the Olympics deserved a thread of its own...it only comes around every 4 years!:)

For the singles, the top 56 in the rankings qualify and it is limited to 4 per country. In the doubles, 24 teams automatically qualify- max. of 2 per country. Players in the top 10 can reserve a place provided they have a partner. Mixed doubles teams are confirmed at the Games.

Gold medallist in singles gets 750 (Men's) or 685 ranking points.

Wildcards have also been awarded...

Men's Singles
    Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
    Thomaz Bellucci (BRA)
    Vasek Pospisil (CAN)
    Somdev Devvarman (IND)
    Adrian Ungur (ROM)
    Blaz Kavcic (SLO)
    Malek Jaziri (TUN)
    Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR)

Men's Doubles
    David Nalbandian/Eduardo Swank (ARG)
    Thomaz Bellucci/Andre Sa (BRA)
    Juan Sebastian Cabal/Santiago Giraldo (COL)
    Jonathan Elrich/Andy Ram (ISR)
    Kei Nishikori/Go Soeda (JPN)
    Horia Tecau/Adrian Ungur (ROM)
    Nikolay Davydenko/Mikhail Youzhny (RUS)
    Martin Klizan/Lukas Lacko (SVK)

Women's Singles
    Alize Cornet (FRA)
    Elena Baltacha (GBR)
    Anne Keothavong (GBR)
    Anna Tatishvili (GEO)
    Ons Jabeur (TUN)
    Kateryna Bondarenko (UKR)
    Veronica Cepede Royg (PAR)
    Stephanie Vogt (LIE)

Women's Doubles
    Stephanie Dubois/Aleksandra Wozniack (CAN)
    Chuang Chia-Jung/Hsiesh Su-Wei (TPE)
    Alize Cornet/Kristina Mladenovic (FRA)
    Laura Robson/Heather Watson (GBR)
    Margalita Chakhnashvili/Anna Tatshivili (GEO)
    Timea Babos/Agnes Svazay (HUN)
    Rushmi Chakravarthi/Sania Mirza (IND)
    Alona Bondarenko/Kateryna Bondarenko (UKR)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Looking forward to this and as good as a slam. This is obviously rising in popularity amongst players too(I believe Fish is the only one inside the top 20 not partaking). In the women's bartoli is inelligible.

Men's singles- impossible to call. We have 4 very genuine contenders in my eyes. Who'd bet against a nadal fed final? However Murray will be hurting from Wimbledon and will have the crowd while Novak can never be written off. No-one else has a realistic chance imo

Women's- I'd imagine we could well see a shock winner here. the women's game is open enough as it is. Don't think the scheduling will suit Serena if I'm honest. Impossible to call. Reigning champ Dementieva is gone so we'll have a new champ anyway.

Doubles- In mens, the most I'm looking forward to here is Isner/Roddick (hate to be returning against them!). Murray/Murray will be interesting as will USA team 2 (the Bryan's). I assume Troiski/Djok are together? They'll be very hard bet.
    In the women's we may aswell give the Williams' gold now for USA. Think GB will surprise a few though and go far.
    In mixed, I'd love to see A.Rod and Serena play together. Pity there'll be no Hingis/Fed that would've been epic! Murray/Robson will team up here too I assume as will Djok/Ivanovic?

All in all very much looking forward to it. The fact it's in sw19 makes it sweeter, although it'll be strange seeing the players not dressed in all white!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,782 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Best of 5 sets? To me this is every bit as big as a slam. More so for say Nadal and Novak. They have won slams, but never have they won an Olympic Gold medal.

walshb wrote: »
    Best of 5 sets? To me this is every bit as big as a slam. More so for say Nadal and Novak. They have won slams, but never have they won an Olympic Gold medal.

Just seen that it is best of 3 until the final. Surely that opens up the possibility of a few shocks? I imagine that it is down to scheduling which is no doubt fairer. It'll make for more exciting play aswell arguably.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Just seen that it is best of 3 until the final. Surely that opens up the possibility of a few shocks? I imagine that it is down to scheduling which is no doubt fairer. It'll make for more exciting play aswell arguably.

On second thought will it really though? Djok dropped 1 set all tournament until the semi final, Murray never dropped two per match until the final and neither did Fed apart from that nightmare opening two sets v Benneteau. Even Ferrer and Tsonga only dropped 1 and 2 sets in total respectively on their way to the quarters and semis. The top players rarely drop two sets until the latter stages of slams.

Saying that though, no doubt the first to two will leave players (underdogs) going out with a complete different mindset and probably greater belief but overall it is still the big 4 for the semis imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Nadal has a gold in singles from the last time.

• Advertisement

Nadal won gold in singles in 08 btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Federer has a gold from the doubles in Beijing but no singles title, it's his last shot so he'll be determined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,782 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nadal won gold in singles in 08 btw!

That shows how much interest I took in the tennis at Beijing. Just don't remember his name and gold medal ever been linked or mentioned. Thanks

BTW, I assume this tournament will be seeded?

That shows how much interest I took in the tennis at Beijing. Just don't remember his name and gold medal ever been linked or mentioned. Thanks

BTW, I assume this tournament will be seeded?

AS far as I know the top 16 are seeded. I assume it'll go on rankings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Looking forward to this and as good as a slam. This is obviously rising in popularity amongst players too(I believe Fish is the only one inside the top 20 not partaking). In the women's bartoli is inelligible.

Men's singles- impossible to call. We have 4 very genuine contenders in my eyes. Who'd bet against a nadal fed final? However Murray will be hurting from Wimbledon and will have the crowd while Novak can never be written off. No-one else has a realistic chance imo

Women's- I'd imagine we could well see a shock winner here. the women's game is open enough as it is. Don't think the scheduling will suit Serena if I'm honest. Impossible to call. Reigning champ Dementieva is gone so we'll have a new champ anyway.

All in all very much looking forward to it. The fact it's in sw19 makes it sweeter, although it'll be strange seeing the players not dressed in all white!

Good analysis CPG5!

Totally forgot about Dementieva-she reminds me of Andy Murray- very pertulant, her mother went through hell at the box with the amount of abuse she recieved after her daughter lost a point.

Like you said, the men's category is very tough to call- Andy would have the Brits behind him again on home soil, Novak and Nadal will be seeking redemption and Roger would want to stamp his feet on Men's tennis and win the Olympics, which would probably be his last attempt. I doubt we would have a Rosol moment this time, so it will most likely be the top 4 in the semis; after that, it will be difficult to predict the outcome.

On the Women's side, Serena has the momentum but Sharapova will come out fighting , likewise Kvitova, Kerber etc.

Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

KingVictor made a good point in the "inbetween slams" thread that the top 4 in this olympics haven't changed since the last olympics. Fascinating alright. I'd almost wager Murray, Djok and Rafa will still be there or there abouts in 4 years time! Goes to show how good and consistent these guys are.

I think the olympics will be special as they're representing their countries too as well as playing for their own ranking points and the coveted gold medal. Nadal, Djok and Sharapova anyway are their respective countries' flag bearers while Fed was offered for the third games in a row but is reluctant to do so I believe!

What's also special is that the top players are all playing doubles, something we don't see in typical slams. This will be very interesting. It is the first year of mixed if I am correct? Cannot wait. Some very exciting potential partnerships, Berdych/Kvitova, Murray/Robson, serena/Roddick, Novak/Ivanovic, Clijsters/Malisse, Stosur/Tomic (Hewitt), Nadal/Garrigues off the top of my head would be epic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Such a shame that Hingis didn't want to be involved; her & Roger would have made a great team!!:(

Strangely, I'm really looking forward to what mixed doubles pairings will be. Berdych/Kvitova would be unreal! Big serves and groundstrokes; they'd be a dangerous combo.

Rumour has it del Potro & Dulko will team up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Providing Murray doesn't go into a slump again after losing a Grand Slam final, he has a very good chance here.

Not only does he have home advantage, he's obviously performed well on this surface recently, and I think the best of 3 sets plays into his hands against the Top 3. He can have trouble staying with them (physically and mentally) in best of 5, but he can produce the standard required to win in the shorter format.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Nadal pulls out of the olympics due to injury,,

Nadal pulls out of the olympics due to injury,,

Does this mean that the top 8 will go up a seed and Delpo goes to 8? Shame would have been interesting to see how he bounced back.

This also now means we'll have two new gold medallists in the singles!

So sad to see Nadal have to withdraw. I thought he would have done well at the Olympics. Hopefully he'll be able to compete in Rio 2016. He'll be 30 then...might have one more Games in him.

Feliciano Lopez will take his place on the team.

Another player has withdrawn from the Olympics. Gael Monfils still hasn't recovered from the knee injury that has caused him to miss French Open and Wimbledon. Julien Benneteau will take his place.

Andrea Petkovic still hasn't recovered from her ankle injury. I think Mona Barthel takes her place.

Gisela Dulko confirmed on her Twitter that she would be teaming with Juan Martin del Potro for the Mixed Doubles.
    Gisela Dulko ‏@gidulko
    Playing mixed doubles with @delpotrojuan #London2012 looking forward to it !!! ☺

ITF has confirmed that Alona Bondarenko has withdrawn due to injury. Taking her place is Heather Watson.
    ITF Olympic Tennis ‏@OlympicsTennis
    Heather Watson confirmed for #OlympicsTennis singles after Alona Bondarenko withdraws from injury

RosyLily wrote: »
    ITF has confirmed that Alona Bondarenko has withdrawn due to injury. Taking her place is Heather Watson.

Ah good stuff delighted for Watson. Sorry of course though for Bondarenko whoever she is!

Anyway only 5 days till the off, bloody can't wait. Draw on Thurs will be interesting. One less round than at W'don with only 64 players competing. My one hope is for a Murray/Djok semi would be epic!

TENNIS SCHEDULE

Saturday July 28
    Men's Singles - 1st Round [Round of 64]
    Women's Singles -1st Round [Round of 64]
    Men's Doubles - 1st Round [Round of 32]
    Women's Doubles - 1st Round [Round of 32]

Sunday July 29
    MS - 1st Round [Round of 64]
    WS - 1st Round [Round of 64]
    MD - 1st Round [Round of 32]
    WD - 1st Round [Round of 32]

Monday July 30
    MS - 2nd Round [Round of 32]
    WS - 2nd Round [Round of 32]
    MD - 2nd Round [Round of 16]
    WD - 2nd Round [Round of 16]

Tuesday July 31
    MS - 2nd Round [Round of 32]
    WS - 2nd Round [Round of 32]
    MD - Quarter-finals
    WD - Quarter-finals

Wednesday 1 August
    MS - 3rd Round [Round of 16]
    WS - 3rd Round [Round of 16]
    Mixed Doubles - 1st Round [Round of 16]

Thursday 2 August
    MS - Quarter-finals
    WS - Quarter-finals
    MD - Semi-finals
    WD - Semi-finals
    XD - Quarter-finals

Friday 3 August
    MS - Semi-finals
    WS - Semi-finals
    XD - Semi-finals

Saturday 4 August
    WS - Medal Matches
    MD - Medal Matches
    XD - Bronze Medal Match

Sunday 5 August
    MS - Medal Matches
    WD - Medal Matches
    XD - Gold Medal Match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

world No. 17 Alexandr Dolgopolov did not play Davis Cup for his country was because of money. As a result, Dolgopolov was ruled ineligible for the Olympics.

Apparently Andy Murray has been handed a very tough draw at the London Olympics, he faces Swiss Wawrinka in the opening round and could face Gasquet, Berdych and Djokovic to get to the Finals.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18994760

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Apparently Andy Murray has been handed a very tough draw at the London Olympics, he faces Swiss Wawrinka in the opening round and could face Gasquet, Berdych and Djokovic to get to the Finals.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18994760

That's not too bad tbh, I think he showed at WImbledon he's well able to get over lower ranked players on this surface. Djok will no doubt be tough but I'm glad he got him over Fed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Stan is good on grass but he is in no sort of form at all these days, Gasquet he beats pretty regularly as well. Berdych is a threat but he wouldn't expect anything easy in a quarter final to be fair.

Love how the English (British!) papers are saying how tough Murray's draw is. Just like Wimbledon getting the excuses in early i guess. If Murray performs to 70% he'll make the semis. I don't care if it's first to 2 Murray didn't drop 2 once on his way to the final last month. I love how they're using Wawrinka being a gold medallist as a basis for him being a tough test. He was only playing with the greatest player ever. He is on horrendous form at the moment

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Berdych could be a threat, but then again he lost in R1 at Wimbledon this year, so I don't know. Federer once again has a walk in the park.

Love how the English (British!) papers are saying how tough Murray's draw is. Just like Wimbledon getting the excuses in early i guess. If Murray performs to 70% he'll make the semis. I don't care if it's first to 2 Murray didn't drop 2 once on his way to the final last month. I love how they're using Wawrinka being a gold medallist as a basis for him being a tough test. He was only playing with the greatest player ever. He is on horrendous form at the moment

He's not on form, but when they last played at Wimbledon he took Murray to 5 sets. For a round 1 match, it does have potential for a banana skin. Representing your country like that can do strange things to people.

Tox56 wrote: »
    He's not on form, but when they last played at Wimbledon he took Murray to 5 sets. For a round 1 match, it does have potential for a banana skin. Representing your country like that can do strange things to people.

Well that was in 09. Andy Roddick made the final that year a lot changes in 3 years. Murray is a better player since then and Stan is worse.

It will be interesting to see if there are any shocks but I think the top 3 in this are way too good to lose before the semis.

I fancy Tsonga as an outside bet, but he'll probably face Raonic in R2. If he gets passed that(which he should) I could see him get all the way to Djokovic, who he had a great match against at Wimbledon last year, and who he should have beaten at RG this year.

• Advertisement

Well that was in 09. Andy Roddick made the final that year a lot changes in 3 years. Murray is a better player since then and Stan is worse.

It will be interesting to see if there are any shocks but I think the top 3 in this are way too good to lose before the semis.

I agree that Murray should win up to at least the QF, but if I'm right he will be playing Berdych there, who he has an awful record against.

The best of 3 sets format is both a blessing and a curse, it gives him a chance against someone like Djokovic, but he is more vulnerable against weaker opposition than in the slams.

Definitely agree that Roger Federer has a much easier draw than the other top 3. I'd be surprised if he didn't at least reach the SFs. Djokovic has got a tough one. Cilic and Raonic are 2 hard opponents lurking in his quarter. Tsonga is the potential SF opponent. I can understand why the British media are trying to play down Murray's chances and saying his draw is quite tough. His Olympics record isn't great- lost to Lu in the first round in Beijing and didn't fair too good in doubles either. Hopefully he won't make an arse of it this year!

In the Men's Doubles, Federer/Wawrinka will have a tough time in retaining their gold. The Bryan Brothers are possible quarter-final opponents and before them are Granollers/Lopez. It's weird looking at doubles pairings and not seeing any familiar teams. Bury & Miryni? Melzer & Peya? So wrong!:pac:

Some interesting matches in the women's draw. Azarenka has the easier route to quarter finals, at least, when she could play Angelique Kerber. Jankovic has been given another terribly tough first round opponent - Serena Williams. That quarter of the draw looks good for the American; I'd be very surprised if she didn't reach the semi-finals. Wozniacki is a potential QF opponent but Serena should be able to brush her off. In the bottom of the draw, Sharapova has been drawn in the same quarter as Lisicki, Ivanovic, Clijsters and Stosur. I think this the the toughest quarter for anyone. Wimbledon finalist Agnieszka Radwanska is the same quarter as Petra Kvitova; they could meet in the quarters. Aga kicks off her campaign for gold against Julia Goerges and Kvitova will face Kateryna Bondarenka.

In the women's doubles, it's hard to see past the Williams Sisters. They've beaten top seeds Huber/Raymond at Wimbledon this year and they'll be hot favourites. Williams' will face Cirstea/Halep in the first round; Huber/Raymond have a 1st round bye.

Have a sneaky feeling that Fed might win singles gold. I'd love to see Clijsters win but I'm not so sure. Hard to see past Serena imo.

It'd be nice to see Fed finally get it. One of the few things he has left to do really.

This also marks the third time he's been seeded no. 1 at the olympics. That's a pretty cool stat to have.

Hoping Tsonga goes far as well. Always the entertainer that one! :)

Ivo Karlovic has pulled out, replaced by Philipp Petzschner.

Feel sorry for Karlovic. Pulling out so late must be so disappointing. He's 33 so this was probably his last Olympics.

Great to be Petzschner though!

The Order of Play for tomorrow has been released! Up first on Centre Court is Tomas Berdych [6] vs. Steve Darcis, bit of a weird one to kick off the Games but whatever. Following them are Serena Williams [4] vs. Jelena Jankovic, Roger Federer [1] vs. Alejandro Falla & Anne Keothavong vs. Caroline Wozniacki [8].

On Court 1, for the second time in about a month, is David Nalbandian vs. Janko Tipsarevic [7]. Then it's Sam Stosur [5] vs. Carla Suarez Navarro, Petra Kvitova [6] vs. Kateryna Bondarenko & Ivan Dodig vs. Juan Martin del Potro.

Court 2 has some good matches scheduled. Kim Clijsters vs. Roberta Vinci, John Isner [10] vs. Olivier Rochus, Li Na [10] vs Daniela Hantuchova & Peya/Melzer vs. Murray/Murray.

Other matches of interest: Ana Ivanovic vs. Christina McHale, Elena Baltacha vs. Agnes Szavay, Kerber/Lisicki vs. Watson/Robson, Isner/Roddick vs. Melo/Soares. I'm interested to see how Kerber & Lisicki work as a team; I like the way they play individually so I can't wait to see them team together! Baltacha has a good chance of reaching the 2nd round; Szavay has a long history of injuries and has been out for quite some time.

• Advertisement

I've read so much today that I may be wrong, but I think Laura Robson has gotten into the singles now too. Can't remember why..... but that makes all four of the GB ladies in the singles, even tough none of them were ranked high enough to qualify.

RosyLily wrote: »
    The Order of Play for tomorrow has been released! Up first on Centre Court is Tomas Berdych [6] vs. Steve Darcis, bit of a weird one to kick off the Games but whatever. Following them are Serena Williams [4] vs. Jelena Jankovic, Roger Federer [1] vs. Alejandro Falla & Anne Keothavong vs. Caroline Wozniacki [8].

On Court 1, for the second time in about a month, is David Nalbandian vs. Janko Tipsarevic [7]. Then it's Sam Stosur [5] vs. Carla Suarez Navarro, Petra Kvitova [6] vs. Kateryna Bondarenko & Ivan Dodig vs. Juan Martin del Potro.

Court 2 has some good matches scheduled. Kim Clijsters vs. Roberta Vinci, John Isner [10] vs. Olivier Rochus, Li Na [10] vs Daniela Hantuchova & Peya/Melzer vs. Murray/Murray.

Other matches of interest: Ana Ivanovic vs. Christina McHale, Elena Baltacha vs. Agnes Szavay, Kerber/Lisicki vs. Watson/Robson, Isner/Roddick vs. Melo/Soares. I'm interested to see how Kerber & Lisicki work as a team; I like the way they play individually so I can't wait to see them team together! Baltacha has a good chance of reaching the 2nd round; Szavay has a long history of injuries and has been out for quite some time.

Wall to wall tennis over the next week! Great stuff! Funny game as right to kick off the games, I presume Nadal would have been first up as reigning champ? Ah well. Looking forward to seeing Fed in action again. It'll be tough getting used to seeing players play in anything other than white at W'don!

Kerber Lisicki/ Watson Robson will be intriguing, do Lisicki and Kerber actually get on well? Didn't seem the best of buddies after W'don 1/4. Not that that matters but I still fancy the Brits to pull off an upset here. SOme good doubles games overall, the singles don't really stand out but it's early yet. I'll be particularly looking forward to seeing Roddick/Isner and the two Murray's playing together.

And indeed Laura Robson will compete in the singles after Petra Martic pulled out

So to my predictions.

It got a little embarrassing with the men's at Wimbledon as I first said Nadal, then said Djok, then said Murray!!! But I'm hoping for a bit of better luck here. There is a lot of talk about the reduced format and how it may lead to upsets but the big 3 are made of far bigger stuff to be caught on the hop early and I think all are dead certs for the semis.

Djok has the toughest draw of the three though with veteran big serving American Andy Roddick, Queen's champ Maran Cilic and the ever energetic and athletic Jo Wilfried Tsonga standing in his way of a semi place. However the Serb should have enough to book a potential clash with home hope Andy Murray.

The Scot had a cracking Wimbledon campaign sweeping aside tough opponents to make his maiden final at the All English club. He showed glimpses against Fed and could have been two sets up. No doubt he has learned a lot and is a definite candidate for a gold medal here. Saying that he will probably have to get over Djok and Fed two players he has never beaten in a slam. His wait may go on.

Fed will be many people's favourite and if he turns up should make the final anyway. However Wimbledon was his first major win since early 2010 and he can be caught on the hop (had this format been employed he'd have gone out in r3 at WImbledon!)

With the withdrawal of Rafa Nadal no-one must be celebrating inside more than David Ferrer. On top of that he drew the worst seeded potential quarter finallist. With a semi final place well within his limits the Spaniard may represent a good each way bet.

My money will be on Federer though to overcome Murray again in the final.

In the women's it is always tough to call but American Serena Wlliams seems quite a level above the rest. She'll be eager to add a gold to the two she won at Beijing and Athens in doubles. It's tough to know with her sister but in my view Venus is definitely one to watch.

Other outside contenders in my view are Chinese star Zheng Jie and German Sabine Lisicki. The former is one of the toughest players to play against while the latter is a lover of this venue with a great record to go with it.

If you're looking for a bit of value, go for the 4 British women to win in round one with Baltacha and Watson having somewhat easy ties and Anne Keothavong is well capable of beating the over-rated former number 1 Caro Wozniacki

In doubles it's hard to look past an American double (if you will!) with the unseeded Williams sisters as good as certainties and the Bryan's looking to atone for a surprise defeat a month ago here. The mixed draw will take place on Sunday but who would look beyond a Roddick/Williams victory if both choose to play (I understand that A Rod is indeed keen).

Lucky Laura Robson will compete in singles making it a quartet of British women in the draw. She'll play Lucie Safarova on Sunday.

Excited for the tennis!! I can't remember much of other Games so this will be cool.

Berdych gone in first round again!

• Advertisement

Elena Baltacha is through to the 2nd round after beating Agnes Szavay 6-3, 6-3. She'll play Ana Ivanovic next who defeated American Christina McHale in straight sets, 6-4, 7-5.

Sam Stosur was beaten in 3 sets by Carla Suarez Navarro 3-6, 7-5, 10-8. Poor Sam has such bad luck on the grass. Kim Clijsters has had a winning début at the Olympics; she swept past Roberta Vinci 6-1, 6-4.

Serena Williams made quick work of Jelena Jankovic, beating her 6-3, 6-1. She'll play a Radwanska next- Urszula.

Can't say I'm surprised by Berdych's early exit. He's been seriously off his game for months. Hopefully he can sort himself out; he's a much better player than that.

Well, that Federer v Falla match had just about everything! :)

Some great tennis on today. keothavong giving her all against the vastly overrated Wozniacki.

Federer game was a belter. Falla is a gritty opponent. Murray's look like they'll do enough.

Serena barely had to get out of first gear!

However I can't keep my eyes off court 3. The Bryan's v Belucci/Sa. The Brazillian's in the crowd are hilarious what an atmosphere they're creating

Kohlschreiber has pulled out, says he's injured, nothing to do with the fact he was playing a final on clay in Kitzbühel today.

India's Vishnu Vardhan (ranked 302 in singles) is the next highest ranked player on site who is from a country that doesn't have 4 players in singles already. So he's most likely going to get to replace him.

Rediculous from Kohlschreiber and Haas to be playing a tournament at all now, never mind a clay one.

Tommy Haas will be pissed too. Begged the Germans to let him go, they said no, now Kohlschreiber pulls out.

Murrays' gone. Seemed to be in control but it went away from them. Jamie makes far too many errors tbh.

Maybe no harm for Andy, can focus on singles now. Keothavong battled but Woz won in the end. Keothavong had a great first set and showed glimpses. No one will be afraid of the Dane.

Roddick/Isner were very disappointing. The two Bryan's pulled through. Some atmosphere on court 3 for it!

Robson/Watson beaten after taking the first set and being in control in the second.

Serious question marks over why it wasn't televised though, a lot of complaints on twitter

Robson/Watson beaten after taking the first set and being in control in the second.

Serious question marks over why it wasn't televised though, a lot of complaints on twitter

Gutted for them, as for the complaints- whats that about? Its not as if the live broadcast of the match on television would have made any difference.

In other news I am seriously disappointed that Berdych lost again in the first round of a major competition, something is surely wrong with him; I dont know if it is mental or he has just lost his form altogether. He joins Verdasco as a seeded player in exiting the Olympics in the first round.

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Gutted for them, as for the complaints- whats that about? Its not as if the live broadcast of the match on television would have made any difference.

In other news I am seriously disappointed that Berdych lost again in the first round of a major competition, something is surely wrong with him; I dont know if it is mental or he has just lost his form altogether. He joins Verdasco as a seeded player in exiting the Olympics in the first round.

The Brit's disappointed they couldn't see two of their own competing and BBC were showing no other game at the time.
    Anyway it seems they may have threw it away. By all accounts the Germans were at 6's and 7's in the first set and went 4-2 down in the second. No real chemistry between the two which is hardly surprising.

Anyway roll on tomorrow. Murray and Djok will be looking to progress safely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

is there an offical olympic sub forum herE?

Aga and Stan both out. Djokovic struggling more than he should be when his match was rained off. Curse of the flag bearers? Hope not. Masha the next flag bearer up on CC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement