Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob Questions

Options
  • 10-07-2012 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I have been looking into airsoft for a while and have to say it looks like great fun. I have ordered a few bits and bobs and just have a few questions, I have read the FAQ on here (and congrats for a great deal of information on this forum)

1. Can I just rock up to a airsoft area with my gear and join in, t on a team etc?
    2. How tolerant are people of unskilled players such as myself?
    3. Are there places to practice (Dublin based) without getting unwanted attention?
    4. Are sniper rifle devices any use?
    5. Do I need all the camo gear or can you rent this?
    6. Hilltop airsoft is close to me whats the verdict.
    7. Any tips for a beginner?
    Thanks for any replies, sorry about the noobness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Hi there, I have been looking into airsoft for a while and have to say it looks like great fun. I have ordered a few bits and bobs and just have a few questions, I have read the FAQ on here (and congrats for a great deal of information on this forum)

1. Can I just rock up to a airsoft area with my gear and join in, t on a team etc?
    Yes, that's how the majority of us roll!
    Very tolerant, don't worry :)
    3. Are there places to practice (Dublin based) without getting unwanted attention?
    Just keep playing at sites, it'll come with time
    Only if you're really dedicated and willing to be waiting ages. Not a first gun to get.
    Penneys Khakis and a hoodie - can't bate it!
    Not bad, from what I've heard, but I've no experience of it
    Have fun, be honourable and always ask before touching someones gear

Answers in bold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Of course, theres no requirement to be part of a team to play :)
    As long as you play fairly nobody is going to have a problem with you.
    Nope, you're better off going to a site to play. Brandishing an airsoft gun in public is an offence.
    In the right hands, a bolt action rifle is fantastic. If its you first time out though, you'll be much better off with an AEG
    You don't need camo, although it does stop you standing out like a sore thumb. AFAIK no where rents camo, but its quite cheap to buy.
    All reviews so far seem great. Haven't played it myslef though so I can't comment.
    Listen to some of the more experienced players on site to learn the tips and tricks :) Take your hits and have fun!

See above!

EDIT Lefty beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

as all your questions have pretty much been answered I thought I'd answer your question on hilltop

I've been there 4-5 times now and was recently at their night game, probably the best game I've been at since i started (3 years ago)
    the marshals are so sound and will remember you if you make a lasting impression so you'll be very welcome next time, the first time i was there everyone was really helpful and the regulars there helped me and my mate with directions during the games as they have a CQB village which can be pretty confusing and hectic if you get lost.
    they have 4 main game areas, the quarry (usually used for days with a bigger turn out) the quarry is used for rolling assault styled games
    the CQB village as the name suggests is a small village with very good props and each building themed, the bar even has a pool table in it :)
    the church is two-story building which gives you a pretty good position over the rest of the village.
    Then there's the silo ( a two story structure), the silo includes a small forest, the game played here is usually attacking/ defending scenario, with the defenders defending both the silo and an objective in the forest about 50 metres from the silo. when both objectives are lost the defenders lose.
    the last area is the hill.
    I personally don;t like this area as compared tot he rest of the site it's not very impressive as it is just a hill, i can understand them wanting to use it as it's a decent sized area between the village and the quarry. again mainly used for a rolling assault style game.
    the marshals change up the games a good bit and really know how to cater for the number present.
    definitely recommended :)
    a bit long but hopefully it answers any questions you have about Hilltop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

So though I would update this. I am no longer a total noob but still a lot to learn. I am an "older" player and have seen a few guys round the forum asking the same questions as I wanted to know.

I now own 3 pistols (C60, Glock 19 and a 1911 Co2) 3 AEG's (TM p90, CA M16 and G&G Top Tech TGR-418 BK which is awesome) I had a sniper rifle but sold it. Got a M203 launcher and some grenades. I have played pretty much every weekend.

Shops I have used
    1. Airsofteire (fast delivery, can be expensive on some items)
    2. Main Irish Airsoft
    3. SG Airsoft
    4. Ebairsoft.
    5. The adverts section on this forum.

So far have played
    1. Tallaght CQB
    2. Hilltop (favorite so far)
    3. Fingal
    4. Frontier Airsoft.

Here are the things I have found so far.

1. Everyone is very friendly, there is a big mix of ages out playing. The older guys are very willing to give advice and talk about their gear. The more skilled players are happy to share tactics. The younger players are all very enthusiastic and well mannered in my experience. The young guys are crazy about the gear and a lot of them have encyclopedic knowledge.

2. Its really really good fun and excellent exercise. I come home soaked in sweat and you would be puffing and panting all day, its like a marathon. However being sneaky and moving properly (with your gun up) is as important as speed.

3. Sniper rifles are pants. The law hear means there is no more range on a sniper rifle than a AEG of similar quality. While is would seem cool to snip you can do it as well with a AEG and the range is so limited. Look it may appeal to some but defo not me.

4. Pistols. These are for show. They are cool items to pay around with, and I have got kills with them (proud moment TBH) but invest in your AEG not pistols. Co2 is temperamental.

5. M203 Grenades are fun but relatively useless. Have use in CQB for room clearing. I would use 203's over thunder B's because more sites allow them.

6. Buy a good AEG and good batteries. If your into playing over collecting then get one with good internals rather than one that looks the business. p90, F2000, MP5's are good indoors and again a good one will have the range of anything else. Buy the highest quality you can afford and worry about silencers, magpul accessories etc later.

7. Your second time in a new site is much more fun that the first. Being familiar with the site brings a whole new element to the game and you can start to be sneaky.

8. Bring plenty of water.

9. Bring plenty of BB;s have spare mags. Flash mags rule.

10. Bring as little gear on you person as possible. Being weighed down is no fun.

11. Wear more protection for CQB, it hurts more close up and you get hit more too. Defo full face indoors. Trying to breach the stairs in taillight CQB hurts like hell.

12. Met one chap who was going mental about me not taking hits (he got about 100 gun hits on me cause I had it stuck through hard cover). I respectfully said when I feel them I will call them and I alway do, and honestly for the most part everyone else does as well. Apart from him taking it all a bit seriously everyone else was playing in the spirit of a game where grown men dress as soldiers are fire 6mm plastic balls at each other on sunday mornings.

13. Hilltop rules, if you haven't tried it do. Very nice crowd and zero tolerance for safety infringements.

14. It costs a fortune, I laughed at some on here with 30 airsoft devices...however I can see the appeal now.

15. Oddysairsoft reviews in youtube are great for getting into the lingo and retailers in ireland. Some good tips also.

16. Get some good boots. There is something about popping up and down from cover and squatting down that play havoc with the ankles.

17. Always wear your eye protection, every time I have been out someone fires off a round accidentally in between games or in the reload area. I did it myself one time much to my shame.

So basically airsoft has the fun of: exercise, target shooting, technical collecting and upgrading, military reenactment, teamwork and fair play. People of any age can play, and I have rarely taken up a hobby that has such a nice bunch of chaps and the odd lass involved and happy to help you out.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

And I thought I was taking things a bit fast buying two guns inside of a week Fitz:D. I had to do a double check on your original post and I saw it was dated just over a month ago. You've certainly jumped straight into this hobby with both feet. ;)

As a fellow noob, your post is very encouraging to get out of my target shooting in the back garden and try to shoot at moving targets. Like you, I'm past the first flush of youth and I was a bit concerned at playing soldier with younger faster guys. However I've since learned that a lot, if not the majority of airsofters are well past their teens. I've still to buy some camo gear and some boots but hopefully I'll be the next target for someone at an airsoft site soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement