Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spaghetti Squash?? Can I buy in Dublin?

Options
  • 08-07-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Going to start cutting down on my carb intake it is way too high esp bread and pasta. I was looking as the web and see that some people use a yellow veg called spaghetti squash to cook as an alternative to pasta they made lovely pasta type alternative dishes on YouTube. Can I buy it in Dublin in the Supermarkets, anyone tried it and how long does it last? Would be great to start eating this instead of relying on pasta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've never seen one labeled spaghetti squash, so you'll have no luck asking for that in a supermarket or grocers. But I've seen the name given to shredded squash instead of pasta.
    You want to buy a butternut squash, sometime called butternut pumpkin. Should be easy enough to get your hands on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

I've never seen it in Ireland unfortunately.

cuilteanna wrote: »
    I've never seen it in Ireland unfortunately.
    I have. Most supermarkets sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Mellor wrote: »
    The vegetable isn't called a spaghetti squash, so you'll have no luck asking for that in a supermarket or grocers. That's just a name given to using shredded squash instead of pasta.
    You want to buy a butternut squash, sometime called butternut pumpkin. Should be easy enough to get your hands on
    Mellor wrote: »
    I have. Most supermarkets sell it.

It is a type of squash with fibrous insides.

I have never seen it in Ireland:(. I know others who have tried to find it in Ireland and failed too. I know there was a thread in the gardening forum where someone tried to grow them as they couldn't get them here but I don't know if it worked or not.
    I have tried courgette very thinly sliced length ways and its nice with a pasta sauce.

I see we are talking about two different things. I first came accross the phrase spagetti squash in relation to using shredded butternut as a replacement for pasta. I never knew it was also the name of a variety of squash.

I never got around to trying it with butternut but the pics looked good. I've grated it before to studd peppers and it was fine, but a little "wet"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

@Mellor.
    Here are some pics of spaghetti squash.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=spaghetti+squash&hl=nl&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4GGHP_nlBE435BE435&prmd=imvnse&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zZb6T4WjGMKd-wbe743iBg&sqi=2&ved=0CFEQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=474

I think gonker's idea of slicing courgettes thinly is the way to go if you can't find your squash, OP

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

u can get a mandolin to do real fine julienne veg- try it with butternut squash although I have just heard that u split it, seed it and bake it for twenty mins then scrape with tines of a fork to get a shredded effect.... i would prefer a mandoline for the aesthetics of it but its a touch more dangerous!
    I have done the courgette pasta! Its yummy but u gotta sprinkle with salt and give it 15 mins, rinse, pat and basically toss in a pan of rolling boiling water for about a minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

all_smilz wrote: »
    u can get a mandolin to do real fine julienne veg-

+1 on mandoline veg.

I did a 'veg spaghetti' with strips of runner beans. I used a runner bean slicer I got from a pound shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

You need to cut the squash in half and bake or micro wave it cut side down - remove the seeds first, When it cools a bit use a fork to break the strands loose. Looks just like spaghetti and with a good sauce and a little Parmesan is very tasty. You could try some of those fake veggie meats or cooked and crumbled turkey sausage in your sauce if you want it more hearty.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭castlewhite

spagetti squash is a differnet variety, looks like a rugby ball in shape, pale yellow in colour. It is grown commercially in Britain and in season in Sept Oct, as per other pumkins. It would not be generally available in Dublin and you would need to order it especially to be brought in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Eddoublesixes

Hi,

They sell it in Portmarnock village, was in there tonight and he has a fresh stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

BUMP for spaghetti goodness!

Anywhere in Dublin??

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

Can you buy spagetti squash in dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

anyone?

Yes it is now in season and available in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Yes it is now in season and available in Dublin

HI there, where in dublin can you get it?

ahayes84 wrote: »
    HI there, where in dublin can you get it?

exactly, where can I get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

If you're going to be eating it regularly, it would probably be more cost effective to invest in a spiralizer. I got this one off Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lurch-010303-LURCH-10303-Spirali/dp/B00008WVUT/ref=pd_cp_kh_2 I used it a lot when I was raw vegan. Works for hard and soft vegetables (squash, pumpkin, carrot, cucumber), makes nice pasta shapes as well as spaghetti, easy to use and to clean. Highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bermia

I got one last year in the market in Dun Laoghaire park. REally tasty. You cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and then bake. When baked the insides come apart in strands just like spaghetti. It was relatively expensive I think but there was lots to eat. Perhaps other markets like St. annes would have it? Or somewhere like fallon and byrne.

For low carbing, you could also try the zero noodles in Holland and Barrett. They are also relatively expensive. Or using cauliflower as a base instead of your usual carbohydrate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

When I want something "noodle like" and don't fancy using anything like pasta or noodles I just make carrot ribbons with a speed peeler.

Takes a few minutes but two medium carrots gives a massive amount of "ribbons".

Works well in stir-fry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 carlson

Fallon & Byrne sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭souter

Had it in stock on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

If anyone sees this around Dublin would they give the heads up? thanks!

still looking

Yes, it is now in season.

Yes, it is now in season.

where have you seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I got one the other week from the Green Door Market in Newmarket

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Fallon & Byrne had them in stock on Monday .

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

I had not been in F&B in ages, and got into town quite early for work this morning. Had the place to myself to browse the beautiful stock. Then when I paid for my Spaghetti Squash I remembered why I never go in there!!! 4.95 per Kg, made it €11.22 for my novel dinner. Better be the best flipping squash i ever ate :)

On a related note though, their pumpkin "display" is beautiful, if you're passing by, do pop in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Based on a mention in this thread, I bought a Spiralizer, and have had great fun with it since (and it has seen plenty of use). Any idea if you can use it with a butternut Squash though? Any recommendations for Spiralizer suggestions/recipes? <probably warrants its own thread>

Advertisement