Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Bale Handler for a MF 80 Loader

• 08-07-2012 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ Hay_man

Hello there

was just doing some googling when it threw up this website :)

I have a MF 165 with a massey 80 loader on it, this is just used to muck out sheds,

I was thinking of buying a round bale handler for it like this (loader is plumbed for third function)

stacker3.jpg

Would it a bit to much to ask of a MF 165 to work one of these and stack silage with it ?

(I'm increase cow numbers and amount of bales made and storage space is tight)

Regards

Hay man

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 nashmach

Any bale handler on a 165 with a bale on front will be tough going.

Won't do the front wheel bearings much good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭ JohnBoy

depends on the bales. a mate used do it until recent years, but the bales are getting so heavy now that it's no longer able to stack em. need a bale on the back at all times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ Hay_man

Yes was just thinking the same myself to.

From looking at tractor data the 165 is rated at 58hp so it would be to big of a ask of it alright,

I suppose I was best to upgrade to a 590 or a 690 might be the best thing to do,

Would a 690 2WD be will fit to comfortly lift a bale of say heavy wet silage with a front loader ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭ JohnBoy

The hp has little/nothing to do with it.

The loader is what counts, for a given PSI of hydraulic pressure a particular loader design will only lift so much, the same loader on a bigger tractor will only lift more if the bigger tractor had a higher hydraulic pressure.

there isnt a massive variation in hydraulic pressures.

if properly counterweighted there shouldnt be "too much" load on the front axle.

A bigger 2wd might have a stronger front axle and you could get a bigger/stronger loader fitted but really a 4wd is better for heavy lifting as it has a much stronger front axle, and the tyres will offer better flotation also.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ Hyneser03

Hi I have a Massey Ferguson 165 with 80 loader I’m looking for a dung fork very hard to get have tried everywhere is anybody selling one or do they know where I can get one thanks ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement