Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

steering broken

Options
  • 07-07-2012 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Just finished up cleaning the boat tonight, and the steering has given up :confused:

Was getting dark, so not not get much of a chance to check it fully.

There is a teleflex steering cable, and the large cable goes back to the engine, and there is a second cable coming from the main steering unit, connected to the wheel. when i turn the wheel, this cable, with a wire wrapped around it extends and retracts, but i could not see what it should have been connect to ? what am i missing :confused: BIt if a novice, so sorry if my question is a bit dodgy!

the above cable would be like the one on the attached link, and shows the main one connected to engine :
    http://www.tnorrismarine.co.uk/steering.php

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi scuby, the inner cable has a worm screw that is moved up and down by the teeth in the rotary system, the things that can fail are,

1 The nut thats holds the steering wheel on has come loose and the wheel is turning on the shaft and not moving the cable.

2 The teeth on the rotary system are broke and are not catching the cable.

3 The cable is broke some where between the steering wheel and the engine.

4 The link arm to the engine is disconnected.

Don't be sorry ask any questions no matter how dodgy it's easier to fix a problem here than out on the water :D

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

Hi fergal,

1 & 2 were working, as cable was moving as the wheel turned, and sounded like it was pulling & pushing through the caseing as the wheel was turned. will check 3&4 later. didn't have wrench to un screw the big nut at connection to engine.

thanks again

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Just past that big nut there is a stainless steel shaft this should also move back and forth as you turn the wheel.

onderdelen%20yam%202%20008.jpg

The worm at the other end goes through the steering system and where it comes out there is a long plastic cap like the black one here if you take this off and keep turning the wheel one way the inner cable will come out if it's broke if not it will just move the stainless shaft to it's stop point.

Rotary-Steering-System.jpg

Would I have to take off the whole unit connected to steering,along with tubing over the length of the cable to the shaft connected to the engine and bring it to the local chandlery to get the right replacement ?

Id say it's a standard teleflex system so just unscrew the cable from the hub "another big nut" and bring it with you or just measure the length of the outer cable and take a photo of the screw part to be sure,there might also be a number on the outer cable.

• Advertisement

thanks fergal

the following was on the outer case, near the engine, not usre if that the details i need : M66M 4.00 25T
    heading down to it soon to try remove it

Yep thats it, I think it's an ultraflex but if your local shop can't get the same one they might stock a steerflex or teleflex that will do the job.
    Might be aswell to bring it with you to sure to be sure :D

Advertisement