Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little boating story.

Options
  • 06-07-2012 9:23pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is a little story a good friend of my Dad wrote about their trip to Holyhead in a 22 foot sunseeker in the days before GPS and common sense :D Mick was just starting dialysis so my Dad invited him on the trip to try and take his mind off things, it seems to have worked and Mick is still boating to this day.

I hope you can read these.
    IMG.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

any pics of the boat they did it in? u could try it in your new boat when its finished :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

Lovely story.

I presume your dad is Sean?
    Who were Josephine and Phyllis?

I think I'd be up for that trip any day. Sounds like great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

'think i seen the sequel to this on To+Hull+and+Back.png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I think they were to do with the dialysis, We had some mad trips in that boat we even did a rollover going from port St Mary to Douglas in the Isle of Man when I think of it now I don't think I'd put my kids through that.:D
    I also still have a warhead from a bomb that they got on the dive :eek:
    Yep my Dad was Sean and was one of the reasons I called my boat Sean-nós.
    I will see if I can dig up some photos of the sunseeker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

fancy a jolley boys outing fergal, maybe just "to hull and back"
    sick bag in one hand, sextant in the other.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I can't find a photo but she was the same as this and called isosceles she was sold to a guy in Malahide where I used to see her a few years back, no idea where she is now.

11062008001.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

is that fiberglass? brave men crossing the irish sea in a small boat

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

davlacey wrote: »
    is that fiberglass? brave men crossing the irish sea in a small boat

nice read, but gotta agree with Dav,

He was a braver man than me :D but we had some great holidays on her to Scotland,England,Northern Ireland, Wales and a lot in the isle of man, he did become better at reading charts and even got a mounted compass and radio :D

Another little sort of boating story.
    As I got older I sort of drifted away from my Dad as some teenagers do and very rarely spoke to him:( I had move to England at 17 and spent every penny I earned drinking and gambling "as you do" after a few years of being the black sheep of the family I came back to Ireland and was tamed down by my now wife " she has the biggest thumbs in the world" :D as the years went on with just a bit of idle chit chat between myself and Dad I never felt I measured up to his expectations and as he was a proud man would never ask for my help.
    About a week before he died to my surprise he did asked me to help him change the bellows on his outdrives saying he was getting to old to do the job and would not be able to lift the outdrives off. The boat was a seeline f33.

009.jpg

I was only too happy to help and in that week we spent more time together then we had in the last 15 years, we worked on the boat and had lunch and drinks in carlingford marina each day it was like I found a new friend :D
    At the end of the week I headed up early and finished off the last few jobs before Dad arrived, she was ready to go and we arranged to launch on monday. I said goodbye and headed home as he said he would clean up and do a few bits and pieces, two hours later I got the call saying that he had fallen of a ladder and died.:(
    As "stepmom" got everything in the will :mad: myself and my brother were asked to clean out the boat so it could be sold it was then we found the logbook and what he wrote on his last day. To me this is the most precious thing he could ever have left me and to think a week before it would have meant nothing to me. Thank God for boats and all the trouble they cause :D

008-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,862 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What a brilliant tale! They were nuts!!

ETA aargh, crossed with your last post - what a lovely story, and what a treasure to have.

(Still think they were nuts all the same! )

Advertisement