Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good road bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I checked out the U.K websites and hit with bad luck. http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk ran out of 56cm Cannondales caad10 105 and wont be getting them back in stock. Also http://www.drakescycles.co.uk only sell Canondales in store. Both were offering the bike at £999. Does anyone know of other websites around this price range ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I checked out the U.K websites and hit with bad luck. http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk ran out of 56cm Cannondales caad10 105 and wont be getting them back in stock. Also http://www.drakescycles.co.uk only sell Canondales in store. Both were offering the bike at £999. Does anyone know of other websites around this price range ?
    Not as good price, wbut they have your size.

BTW, Cannondales have quite specific sizing, so make sure you get the right frame size.

thanks for that. Its €1594 almost €1600, not as tempting as you see £999/€1264 for the bike. Yes I got my sized checked in the bike shop. 56cm.

I think there is a 2013 Cannondale coming out but its not caad10, it might be caad8 ? is this right ? It might explain the sale. It would be cheaper for me to fly over and collect the bike in leeds than buy it in a local bike store here.

thanks for that. Its €1594 almost €1600, not as tempting as you see £999/€1264 for the bike. Yes I got my sized checked in the bike shop. 56cm.

I think there is a 2013 Cannondale coming out but its not caad10, it might be caad8 ? is this right ? It might explain the sale. It would be cheaper for me to fly over and collect the bike in leeds than buy it in a local bike store here.
    CAAD 8 is not a replacement model to CAAD 10. They are two different bikes and they are offered separately by Cannondale. I believe both models will be offered as 2013 refreshments.

Seweryn wrote: »
    CAAD 8 is not a replacement model to CAAD 10. They are two different bikes and they are offered separately by Cannondale. I believe both models will be offered as 2013 refreshments.

Yes, I just see Cannondale CAAD10 5 Shimano 105 2013 being offered now in a few places Germany for
    €1,449.00 inc shipping
    with a new paint job.

I have still to get all the extras with the bike (like clips, shoes, helmet etc). I went down to Lidl today but no joy. The equipment was too heavy no support etc.

Is €1500 for CAAD10 5 Shimano 105 be it 2012 or 2013 an expected price for the bike as I have spent quite a while looking online without coming up with anything else? Also should I consider other bikes at that price ?

**edit. Westbrook cycles got back to me and said they expect CAAD 10 105 2013 model in October for £1,399.00 GBP €1,770.69 EUR. Looks like the end of a good sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

that supersix you linked at westbrook is what id go for if you had 1500-2000 to spend, lovely machine, caad 10 is an amazing bike as well but tbh at the prices they seem to be charging now id just go for the supersix, out of interest what height are you? if youd normally take a 56 id nearly go with a 54 in cannondale, they tend to be a little long, im 6 foot and i got a 56 caad 10, it was too long for me so i changed to a shorter stem which fixed my problem

that supersix you linked at westbrook is what id go for if you had 1500-2000 to spend, lovely machine, caad 10 is an amazing bike as well but tbh at the prices they seem to be charging now id just go for the supersix, out of interest what height are you? if youd normally take a 56 id nearly go with a 54 in cannondale, they tend to be a little long, im 6 foot and i got a 56 caad 10, it was too long for me so i changed to a shorter stem which fixed my problem

I am 183cm tall with a short back and long legs. I may get away with a 54cm like you but I don't know how to judge that on the bike. In the shop he did say I may fall in between two sizes however on the bike it was 56cm on Specialized and Cannondale.

It seems worth the supersix even though I don't know too much about it. I don't know how long that sale will last for and don't want to miss out. A new 2013 model in any of the bikes sounds like a new paint job and new price tag.

id say youd get away with a 54 tbh, you say your back is short and the most important mesurment on the bike is the top tube which is your reach (arse to fingers :pac:), id get the 56 if you want the supersix and id chance the 54 if you want the caad 10, my choice would be the supersix if i had to pick, its the next step up in cannondales range after the caad's

I am 183cm tall with a short back and long legs. I may get away with a 54cm like you but...
    56cm is for you and do not buy any smaller frame.
    It seems worth the supersix even though I don't know too much about it. I don't know how long that sale will last for and don't want to miss out. A new 2013 model in any of the bikes sounds like a new paint job and new price tag.
    Both bikes are the best in their range. Both - the SuperSix and the CAAD 10 have the same frame geometry and very same weight. The only difference is the frame material. Whichever one you buy, you will be happy with it.

Seweryn wrote: »
    56cm is for you and do not buy any smaller frame.

Both bikes are the best in their range. Both - the SuperSix and the CAAD 10 have the same frame geometry and very same weight. The only difference is the frame material. Whichever one you buy, you will be happy with it.

I will stick to 56cm and not be too picky bike wise. The only thing is I have all the bits to get to cycle. For example selecting components like clips and shoes, is there anywhere easy to get all the parts ? I will have to assemble the bike out of the box as well:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

You'd stated earlier that if you were to go with the CAAD10 that you'd upgrade the Shimano RS10 wheels. The Supersix also comes with Mavic Aksium wheels. If you'd consider this to be a sufficient upgrade then bare this in mind when comparing it to the price of the CAAD10. Also, if you go for the Supersix note that the White coloured one comes with Tektro brakes. The Replica coloured one comes with 105 brakes.

Lemag wrote: »
    You'd stated earlier that if you were to go with the CAAD10 that you'd upgrade the Shimano RS10 wheels. The Supersix also comes with Mavic Aksium wheels. If you'd consider this to be a sufficient upgrade then bare this in mind when comparing it to the price of the CAAD10. Also, if you go for the Supersix note that the White coloured one comes with Tektro brakes. The Replica coloured one comes with 105 brakes.

Yes the wheels could have been better, Are they the same wheels on the Supersix ? I was going for the Replica with Shimano 105 brakes, I don't know what Tektro brakes are ?

Yes the wheels could have been better, Are they the same wheels on the Supersix ? I was going for the Replica with Shimano 105 brakes, I don't know what Tektro brakes are ?
    No, according to the spec the Supersix comes with Mavic Aksium wheels which are probably a slight upgrade on the RS10s. They ain't that light but they are reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Donie75

You've lost nearly 7 weeks of cycling since the start of this thread and the short evenings are rapidly approaching. I would just jump at one of the Cannondales...

This looks like a good value 56cm Supersix £1349 http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m7b0s6p4327
    It's available in White or Replica Colours

The likes of www.bike-discount.de or Rose Bikes are very good for components. They charge €7 or €8 delivery but if you are buying a bit it's worth your while.
    www.chainreactioncycles.com have a sale on at the moment also. They have 105 Pedals for just over €40 and Shimano R087 shoes for €74.

Hopefully I can get my order together today, can't believe summer is over. I wouldn't have been able to make a decision on my own with all those questions I had, thanks for those posts, very helpful.

I'm going for the 56cm Supersix at £1349. I don't think there is a better price around based on size and bike.

All the extras were really confusing. Jumping on the www.chainreactioncycles.com looks like decent clothing you can wear straight away. Hopefully its just a matter of selecting 05 Pedals for just over €40 and Shimano R087 shoes for €74 and thats it ?

Can I assemble the bike at home without wrenches etc ? Putting the (clip) pedals is something I haven't done before

Those Shimano shoes look just right but one is wide and a lot more expensive, I take it most people don't need wide ?

It's a very good price alright... super looking bike with good kit.

A set of metric Allen Keys for under a tenner should cover most jobs.
    If you plan on tinkering at the bike yourself this might be worth buying http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40997

As for shoes, the key is to get a size up from your normal shoe size. Pick one of the discounted pairs that have a discount on your size. Chainreaction often just discount odd sizes. I went for the wide fitting because I have a high instep and wide feet.

Get a decent pump also... €30 will get you a good track pump.

Then you just need shorts and a jersey and a helmet.

Other things that would come in handy...
    Cycle computer/speedo
    Saddle bag with spares/tyre levers/tube/multitool.
    Light rain jacket.
    Gloves

Can I assemble the bike at home without wrenches etc ? Putting the (clip) pedals is something I haven't done before
    The bike will probably come mostly assembled with little for you to do. You should be able to find details of this on whichever site you'll be buying it from. If not, drop them an email.

enjoy the bike anyway, id love a supersix :o cannondales come pretty much built, as far as i remember there wasnt much work putting it together

thanks very much. I think I have found all the bits on http://www.chainreactioncycles.com just helmet size (large?) and tube size(?) I'm not sure on. All the parts added up to quite a bit, around €390 (bar a tube or 2) and put me €200 over my budget which scratches my head a bit

Hopefully I can get my order together today, can't believe summer is over. I wouldn't have been able to make a decision on my own with all those questions I had, thanks for those posts, very helpful.

I'm going for the 56cm Supersix at £1349. I don't think there is a better price around based on size and bike.
    That is a fantastic bike for the money. Probably the best frameset at this price point plus it beats a lot more expensive bikes for ride quality and handling.

See my earlier post with a photo showing how the bike arrives at your door and what is required to put it on the road.

Enjoy the ride!

• Advertisement

Since you could get the Cannondale in a box and put it together ok I decided to follow suit :D

Its about €200 over my budget but it all seems worth it, its absolutely everything I can think of for donkeys.

I am picking shoe size and took 45 (10.5) a slight size bigger than my usual size 44, the next size up is another €30 so I hope they fit ok.

I was going to get 2 spare tubes but I am only guessing what size will fit 700 X 23C ? I got these 700 x 18-23c Presta 40mm http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20484 and hope they fit.

Thats it, everything ordered, just have to wait till it arrives. Thanks for all the help !

im a 44 myself and i take a 45 in shimano shoes, problem with shoes is that the different brands can differ in size so a shimano 45 might not be the same as a sidi 45...which is annoying :( and those tubes should be grand 23c is the width of the tyre (standard road tyre) and 700 is the wheel size, that supersix is a hell of a deal tbh, if money wasnt an issue id buy one myself

Yes I think the shoe size shouldn't differ from brand to brand or increase in price either.

Hopefully the shoes and helmet fit. I can always change them if they are really uncomfortable but the shoes were going up an extra €30 for 1 shoe size.

They have dispatched the bike order already which is pretty quick, the accessory order goes tomorrow : )

I was just looking at this guy doing his Supersix up, really nice pictures
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=85941

I was just looking at this guy doing his Supersix up, really nice pictures
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=85941
    Nice! You can post up a photo of yours here. My CAAD9 is here although I've swapped out quite a few things since.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

Hi,

Have you confirmed that they will ship to Ireland? I have been on to a few shops that sell cannondale in the UK and none would ship to Ireland, although in fairness, none of the companies would be as big as the ones mentioned in the thread.

westbrook cycles do, i got one from them last December

Yes there are 2 places that will ship to Ireland. One is https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk and the second is http://www.evanscycles.com. Depending on your size you may get the Cannondale you want from one or other of them.

I'm getting the bike in standard mail and I'm really excited. I don't know what I will be fit for but I think I will really enjoy the spins.

Nice bike Lemag :) I will post a pic of the box open !

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

Looks like Evans are out of them now anyway, they only have the Apex one for > 2000. How much was shipping from them?

I may go down the westbrook route. Icyseanfitz, how much did shipping cost for your one?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Takestan

I have a Kellys 1.2 nice road bick and i like it it cost 800 euro any opoinions

• Advertisement

Aindriu80,
    Did you order from www.paulscycles.co.uk in the end?

I'd be interested to know what they charge to ship and what they are like to deal with.

Keep us posted...

D

Advertisement