Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal people drive like LUNATICS-says Gay Bryne

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Where To wrote: »
    Have I entered a time warp? Is this 2008? Donegal roads are nowhere near as dangerous as they used to be.

What major improvements took place since 2008?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

If someone is driving slower than us they are idiots and if they are driving faster than us they are maniacs ...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

paddy147 wrote: »
    Gay Byrne is live on TV3 right now,and hes absolutely lambasting Donegal People,and claiming that they are the worst drivers in Ireland and drive like "lunatics".

Well done Gay Byrne,great way to make friends with Donegal people......:eek::D:D
    Maybe he's more concerned with saving the lives of some Donegal people?

Did it never occur to you that he's not saying this just for fun, or to offend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

K-9 wrote: »
    What major improvements took place since 2008?
    Recession and emigration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

I wonder if Gay Bryne would pass the current thoery test and actual driving test??

Seen as he has so much to say and so many road safety opinions for us all.

What you reckon??

How does that in any way disprove that Bryne has a point in what he actually said.

I don't drive, but I have lived in Donegal for some time, I know the roads (even West Donegal ones) and I always laughed in amazement about the excuses made for the so many deaths.

Many of the deaths are locals. They know how bad the roads are, take more bloody care

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

sup_dude wrote: »
    I dunno, speaking as a Donegal person, I prefer the people who drive with a bit of speed but are considerate of other drivers and on rural roads (which make up 90% if not more of Donegal) keep to their own side of the road, than the ejits I've seen drive around twisty, steep, dangerous roads at 20mph right in the middle or on the other side of the road, not pulling in for anyone, even an approaching car.

You drive with a bit of speed, yet somehow , that is okay you are still being considerate to other drivers. Ah, Bless.

How many of these deaths were not caused by collision between two cars but simple one car accident?
    sup_dude wrote: »
    Yes, we have a few good roads (one or two) but the rest are ****e with the council seemingly having the attitude of ''Oh there's a big pothole? Ah, stick a bita tar in it. There's a big bump there now? Be grand!''

It is the same in every county. There is no budget.

Mayo and Roscommon and East Galway (West Galway they are meant to be a disaster) for example, counties that probably experience MORE traffic , due to their location to other places, don't have the same kind of deaths, yet, their roads are not too great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Has anyone thought that perhaps maybe he is right? Donegal is a big county with a small population and a huge network of roads. Such an environment lends itself well to boy racers, or "gobshites" as I prefer to call them. They are a law unto themselves up there.

I have yet to encounter anyone a honda civic with blacked out windows being driven with manners.

Probably fcuk-all else for them to do...that doesn't excuse it tho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭iwasonbwh

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

I have no gripe with Gay Byrne or with Donegal people generally but I have had more than a little involvement with Donegal county in recent years and would concur that there is a mindset loose among many of the motorists in Donegal that is criminally dangerous. Worse still, it is carried off with a cavalier attitude which goes something like this : ...."anyone who can't drive as fast as us should get the hell out of the way cos they are only holding up the rest of us"....." what's the point in having 120+mph on the speedo if ye don't use it"....."cops can't get us cos we've got smartass supercharged wheels an can do what we like".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Gay Byrne is live on TV3 right now,and hes absolutely lambasting Donegal People,and claiming that they are the worst drivers in Ireland and drive like "lunatics".

Well done Gay Byrne,great way to make friends with Donegal people......:eek::D:D

Why is this man the Road Safety spokesman anyway. At one point they were talking about overtaking on Duel Carriageways and Motorways, the interviwer commented that drivers were remaining in the fastlane after overtaking. This would have been a perfect opertunity for Gay to educate people and say theres no such thing as a fast lane and its an over taking lane, but nothng was said.

If the road safety spokesman and a national broadcaster cant educate us on some of the basic rules of the road then what hope do we have.

Advertisement