Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rust stain back fiberglass boat metal tow clips

Options
  • 05-07-2012 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Is sand paper a bad idea to clean these stains on the back of the boat - seems like the only thing that works... my neighbor reckons its a bad idea though.... a cloth and soap or washing liquid is useless...

any thoughts would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bpmdj

I would've thought that using a very fine sand paper would be good enough provided that the area was waxed afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

IMO, depending on how bad the stains are , try with 1500 grit sandpaper or even 1800. It's very fine grit and won't leave sanding grooves. Wet sand the area too ,it'll stop the paper loading up. If that doesn't work move down to 1200 or 1000 grit but go over the area with 1500 at least when done. Go lightly no need to dig around on it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Try Y-10 I have used it a good few times and would highly recommend it. Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

fergal.b wrote: »

Ned,

If you try this let us know, I'd love to know if it does a good job , I'll have some work for it if it does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭ratracer

I've used both the starbrite and Y10 at different times for both rust stains and water lines. Both worked fine after a couple of coats and good wash in between. Superbrite marine polish on top then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Hi I've used Oxalic Acid to get rid of rust stains works very well

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

is this what you want to do, if so let me know. We have a very easy way to remove this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭Tow

Glenalla wrote: »
    is this what you want to do, if so let me know. We have a very easy way to remove this.

Change the nuts and bolts for marine grade stainless steel and never have to clean it again!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement