Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl refund and customer relations

Options

Comments

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Would you not have thought that if the packet was open that there was a possibility it might not contain everything? I dont think common sense has anything to do with what sex or how technical you are.

She changed her story, in post 27 she states there was no packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 passiveshopper

Jogathon wrote: »
    When you got the refund the product was on sale at €18. With no proof that you purchased it at the higher price the shop gave you money back at current selling price. If the box was open you needed to check. All boxes have a list of contents on the side.

No one is agreeing with you here, Passive Shopper, and most people think Lidl dealt with you fairly and went above the letter of the law. Sorry but you'll have to chalk it down to experience.

No, it was sold for €23.99 and this was just a few weeks previous that it was sold in the supermarket. Where the €18 came about I don’t know.
    I'm chalking down to be very very wary of dealing with Lidl

She changed her story, in post 27 she states there was no packaging.
    opening post first line

"I purchased a toilet seat from their Ennis branches and it came out of its packaging and it was the last one in the branch"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

After reading your story here, I am sure the feeling is mutual.

No, it was sold for €23.99 and this was just a few weeks previous that it was sold in the supermarket. Where the €18 came about I don’t know.
    I'm chalking down to be very very wary of dealing with Lidl

So it wasn't even a couple of days later but a few weeks?

What you should chalk it down to is this; use your own common sense, don't buy a product without instructions, if it has instructions, read them and check all the parts are with the product. Keep your receipt incase you need to change/get refund as retailers are in no way responsible for giving refunds on products that are not returned with proof of purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

You must know a lot of female technical minded toilet seat installers as far as I was concerned it would be as simple as using the old brackets on the new toilet seat but this did not do. I did not even know that it needed brackets. And he was a friend the plumber am I to feel embarrassed that I can’t install a toilet seat, and he thought it was totally irresponsible for Lidl to sell such without attachment brackets. And it was sold without packaging and if it was sold in packaging without brackets just how many would know it should be sold with brackets, I would guess very very few. And my understanding of Irish consumer law is that it’s not essential to have a receipt for defective products sold to get a refund. And yes the Ennis Branch accepted it was their product sold by their Branch and this is supported by the fact that a partial refund was made. And there is only 1 Branch in Ennis.
    but proof of purchase is.

The reaon you were given 18euro and not 23 was that 18 euro was the price of the product when you asked for a refund, do you really think that a retailer is required to refund a product for an amount more than they are currently charging without any form of proof of purchase? i.e. stating the amount you paid

opening post first line

"I purchased a toilet seat from their Ennis branches and it came out of its packaging and it was the last one in the branch"

My apologies, I did read that wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

It was probably all the money the poor guy had in his pocket, to get away from you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

In fact that’s what I wanted or could he check if I could get brackets as I failed to buy suitable ones in hardware store. I actually liked the toilet seat. But if you read my opening post it was the last one in the store that I purchased.

They would have called round a few stores and try to get one sent to your nearest store and give you a call when it arrives.

Since you accepted a refund you could call customer services and ask if they could find one for you. Spend your €18 on that. Problem solved.

bobmalooka wrote: »

The reaon you were given 18euro and not 23 was that 18 euro was the price of the product when you asked for a refund, do you really think that a retailer is required to refund a product for an amount more than they are currently charging without any form of proof of purchase? i.e. stating the amount you paid
    No, the supermarket have not stocked it since I purchased and I was waiting to get the toilet seat fitted as I must admit all embarrassed that I can’t do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 BANES

As a former assistant manager for Lidl, all I can say is it's unbelievable how many people like passiveshopper, with such a misguided idea of customer law exist out there.

I've been in this exact position countless times, and can tell you, that by giving you the €18 with no proof of purchase as an act of goodwill, that manager will almost certainly get a talking to for going against policy.

And a toilet seat is not a large item to steal, I personally have witnessed 4 32" tvs go from a store in one single theft.

And like most ex Lidl employees, I detest them, but I cannot fault their returns policy

bobmalooka wrote: »

What exactly is that, it was a Lidl product accepted by their Assist Manager as such and he stated he even remembered selling the product line. And it was sold for €23.99 and has not being stocked by them since I purchased.

But where is good will and customer focus and all this by what is a large transnational supermarket group.

The item would have been discounted as it neared the end of its cycle in other stores t o €18 to sell the remaining few.

He accepted the item was sold by Lidl, the onus was on you to prove you actually purchased it.

There are nearly a dozen signs up all over each store informing you that there are 28 days to return an item with no problems provided you can show proof of purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

What exactly is that, it was a Lidl product accepted by their Assist Manager as such and he stated he even remembered selling the product line. And it was sold for €23.99 and has not being stocked by them since I purchased.

But where is good will and customer focus and all this by what is a large transnational supermarket group.

:) as it was open when you bought it it was up to you to make sure that it was all there and as you have no proof of purchase they refunded you the current selling price (might be stock in another store they have reduced)

With all offers in Lidl I find that one or two are opened for "inspection" by the customers to see what they look like etc

IMHO they have been pretty reasonable with you and as other posters have stated they do have issues with returns in the past so that makes them wary!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The assist manager accepted they sold the product and gave a partial refund which he claimed was a full one. Lidl was the only seller of this item and the sold it incomplete. I’m no plumber but a female office worker. And Lidl did not raise an argument against selling it incomplete.

As far as their concerned you could have just found a toilet seat in a bin and walked in demanding a refund because there was bits missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I think Lidl went above and beyond on this one. That they sold the goods may be apparent, that they sold them to you, OP, is not. Were I the manager I would have suggested you take it to Small Claims Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

I must say I’m really surprised at this and if this is how lidl treat their customers in their penny pinching but they also seems outright confrontational. I find it hard to believe such a large group should be making such an issue over a few euro after all they just rtn to their mnf such items with no loss to them. I have no prior experience of being treated by a supermarket like this and it reminds me more of a backstreet shady operation than a modern multi. I actually find this all hard to believe and to where the customer focus should be and I come from the old school in a customer should be for life. It’s totally illogical how this has come about and one would expect where there was a type of refund that this is sufficient to swing the balance on the consumers’ side as well as the manager’s words that it was a lidl product and he gave a partial refund. Why make only a partial refund? And while I’m a DIY enthusiast I must admit I can’t comment on toilet seat brackets either just wondering how many guy’s not mind girlfriends and wives are knowledgeable on this lol. I’m surprised by all this and always perceived Lidl as customer orientated and friendly which going on this seems not to be.

I must say when I shop in lidl again it will be with a different frame of mind as I have brought back so much stuff to Tesco for refunds and replacement more often without receipts than with and always without confrontation ever eager to help that I have take it for granted.

mrjoneill wrote: »
    I must say I’m really surprised at this and if this is how lidl treat their customers in their penny pinching but they also seems outright confrontational. I find it hard to believe such a large group should be making such an issue over a few euro after all they just rtn to their mnf such items with no loss to them. I have no prior experience of being treated by a supermarket like this and it reminds me more of a backstreet shady operation than a modern multi. I actually find this all hard to believe and to where the customer focus should be and I come from the old school in a customer should be for life. It’s totally illogical how this has come about and one would expect where there was a type of refund that this is sufficient to swing the balance on the consumers’ side as well as the manager’s words that it was a lidl product and he gave a partial refund. Why make only a partial refund? And while I’m a DIY enthusiast I must admit I can’t comment on toilet seat brackets either just wondering how many guy’s not mind girlfriends and wives are knowledgeable on this lol. I’m surprised by all this and always perceived Lidl as customer orientated and friendly which going on this seems not to be. [/B]

I must say when I shop in lidl again it will be with a different frame of mind as I have brought back so much stuff to Tesco for refunds and replacement more often without receipts than with and always without confrontation ever eager to help that I have take it for granted.
    Without proof of purchase and outside the 28 day limit you are not entitled to a refund. They gave her whatever they could as a goodwill gesture. With a receipt she would have got the full amount. She also had the option of a replacement free of charge.

Also manufactures only give the retailer back about 20% of the price even less because parts were missing.

And while I’m a DIY enthusiast I must admit I can’t comment on toilet seat brackets either just wondering how many guy’s not mind girlfriends and wives are knowledgeable on this lol.

Could you clarify what you mean by the part in bold?

I find it amusing that you actually say in your post that you've always perceived Lidl to be customer orientated and friendly, and based on one thread on the Internet by a person you don't know, your opinion has changed. Very strange. I tend to form my own opinions on my own experiences.

Without proof of purchase and outside the 28 day limit you are not entitled to a refund. They gave her whatever they could as a goodwill gesture. With a receipt she would have got the full amount. She also had the option of a replacement free of charge.

Also manufactures only give the retailer back about 20% of the price even less because parts were missing.
    Dont go along with that the original poster states it was that supermarket brand so where is the issue like. I see it as selling a defective good without any rtn date within reason as for replacement she states she sough this without success. Where is the customer in all this I ask its like a Lidl open day here all online posting and making it all seem so good.:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dont go along with that the original poster states it was that supermarket brand so where is the issue like. I see it as selling a defective good without any rtn date within reason as for replacement she states she sough this without success. Where is the customer in all this I ask its like a Lidl open day here all online posting and making it all seem so good.:D:D:D

the customer walked into a shop, demanded a refund without a receipt, the manager decided to be nice and give her one
    the customer then starts going on about their rights bla bla bla of which they actually had none
    the end

She was entitled to a replacement but wanted a refund. She was given one.
    She claims that she paid more than the refund was for but has no receipt to back this up.

Could you clarify what you mean by the part in bold?

I find it amusing that you actually say in your post that you've always perceived Lidl to be customer orientated and friendly, and based on one thread on the Internet by a person you don't know, your opinion has changed. Very strange. I tend to form my own opinions on my own experiences.
    all my gf knows of toilet seat is to put it down and prob lift it lol.
    Its a trivial issue which good customer relations would solve on the spot and it 5 or 6 Euro which they would make from a few small items. My policy would be keep on to customers simple as that.

She was entitled to a replacement but wanted a refund. She was given one.
    She claims that she paid more than the refund was for but has no receipt to back this up.
    "Brought it back to store after I failed to purchase attachments elsewhere and I asked to see the manager and I was given assist manager. He seemed totally oblivious to my complaint till I told him I would pursue the store through the Small Claims Court and take it up with their head office and it was only then that he offered a refund. He then asked for the receipt and I told him I could not locate it. But the Assist Manager accepted it was a product they sold and eventually said "I’ll give you a full refund"."

The product cost €23.99 and I was given a refund of €18.00 and when I queried this I was told by this same guy that he checked it and that was what I paid for it.

"Brought it back to store after I failed to purchase attachments elsewhere and I asked to see the manager and I was given assist manager. He seemed totally oblivious to my complaint till I told him I would pursue the store through the Small Claims Court and take it up with their head office and it was only then that he offered a refund. He then asked for the receipt and I told him I could not locate it. But the Assist Manager accepted it was a product they sold and eventually said "I’ll give you a full refund"."
    Yes that was the post.

all my gf knows of toilet seat is to put it down and prob lift it lol.
    Its a trivial issue which good customer relations would solve on the spot and it 5 or 6 Euro which they would make from a few small items. My policy would be keep on to customers simple as that.

Where do you draw the line then, when you have customers coming in, sometimes on a daily basis, looking for a refund on items, which could cost 50 or 100 euro, with no proof whatsoever that the items were bought and not actually stolen from the store?

It's unfortunate but when scams like this can end up costing a company large amounts every month, it's not actually much to ask to provide some proof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Why is this not a thread from the op praising how good lidl customer service is considering how good they were to her in this instance?

The op demonstrates why it is so difficult for those working in customer service. Well done op...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Thing is, she failed to prove to Lidl that she was the customer. I'd say shops would be queueing up for customers like her :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

BANES wrote: »
    Where do you draw the line then, when you have customers coming in, sometimes on a daily basis, looking for a refund on items, which could cost 50 or 100 euro, with no proof whatsoever that the items were bought and not actually stolen from the store?

It's unfortunate but when scams like this can end up costing a company large amounts every month, it's not actually much to ask to provide some proof

This type of scam was recently aired on "The Real Hustle" on the Biography channel. Was very interesting and is a very common type of scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Six Euro's!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement