Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student looking for a sailing boat from France to Ireland.

Options
  • 04-07-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

I'll be studying in Ireland next academic year as an Erasmus student and I'm looking for a way to get from France to Ireland that doesn't include planes or ferries. I thought that sailing could totally match that and could as well be a nice experience.
    I was wondering if you could give me advices on which irish websites I could find sailers (in french it's called "bourse aux équipiers", haven't found a proper translation, sorry) who need a hand on their boat, if you knew if that was a common practice in mid / late august or early september and if you knew anyone interested. Of course any advice or warning is more than welcome !

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

"bourse aux équipiers" = crew exchange or crew market.

C’est ‘crew available’ ici http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056326284
    Néanmoins, à mon avis, vous ne trouverez une solution facilement, normalement il y a très peu des trajets entre la Bretagne et l’Irlande. Il soit mieux de réserver un passage sur un paquebot/Ryanair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

are u trying to enter the country illegally? seems odd no planes or boats but u would get on a yacht

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

www.sailing.ie is probably a reasonable bet for crewing ads in Ireland. Might also be some on www.apolloduck.ie
    or else if you look up the nearby yachtclub you want to land in & email them to post an add with their sailors ya might have a chance too
    fair winds

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ephemeral.

Hey !

Thanks pedro. I don't care if they leave from Bretagne. It can be anywhere in France but I guess it's the same problem, right ? : (
    So what I could do is find a boat from France to England if there are more people doing that distance, and then from England to Ireland (might be a ferry this time). If someone has more info on that !

@hytrogen: Thanks, I'll look into those sites. It's true that I haven't found anyone doing that trip on french sites...

@davlacey : Aha ! No I'm not trying to get in the country illegally. That hadn't even crossed my mind but now I realise it might scare people off (especially since I used to have a huge beard making me look like I come from some middle-east country). That made me laugh.
    I'll avoid planes (eventhough they might be the cheapest / fastest / easiest way to get to Dublin) and ferries as much as possible as it's against my political opinions. I might end up having to use a ferry though. I can leave France whenever I want in August since I'm not working so I have time for planning an alternative trip. I also think that the journey is a part of the adventure. It'd feel weird to take off and be in another country in like 2 hours. I need to feel the time escaping, to realise I'm going to be leaving my home country for a year. I also plan on going to South America someday so that would be a first experience with sailing.

Advertisement