Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU rules publishers cannot stop you reselling your downloaded games

Options
  • 03-07-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭

The **** hath hiteth the fan...

Not really sure what to make of this. Technically speaking, I'd imagine it's going to be a nightmare to implement and impossible to reasonably police if abused. I'd like to say it's good for the consumer in the long run but it will entirely depend on the reaction of the publishers. Should be interesting to see how they react either way...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was reading through the report myself and just wondering what are the pratical implications are. You can sell your Steam/Origin/WoW accounts? I can't see there ever being a mechanism for people to sell individual games from master accounts.

I don't think it'll ever be a big deal to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Interesting Developments.

Steam wont be happy about this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

All it appears to be is the possibility to "unregister" your game from your profile and resell the code to the game for someone else to activate it and download it again. This would by definition basically work like steam trading and the game would be removed from your steam/origin/what ever system by you choosing to do so and you'll get a code that you can give to someone else for them to download it instead.

To be honest I think the impact will be relatively small over all; possibly (yet again) another increase in game costs to compensate for lack of resells but that would be it. The question would be around DLCs and other ingame benefits/uniques (beta access bonuses and what not).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There is one condition, however. If you resell a license to a game you have to make your copy "unusable at the time of resale". Now you will do that, won't you?

Because they're going to be allowed to make sure.
    87 Moreover, a copyright holder such as Oracle is entitled, in the event of the resale of a user licence entailing the resale of a copy of a computer program downloaded from his website, to ensure by all technical means at his disposal that the copy is made unusable.

All technical at his disposal.

Well Mr. Gizmo, you'd like to sell you copy of <insert name of game here>

When shall we schedule the polygraph test, or if you'd prefer we can completely search every computer you've ever used the game on.

"all technical means" should not be left that vague ( not that the ruling would be expected to do more)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

If STEAM somehow implemented this I'd be a happy man, and so would some of you, I've about 150 games on STEAM I've never played that I'd have no problem passing on for little or nothing :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was looking up some research about copyright law and there's a lot of legal papers that suggest that if it was ever brought up in court more than likely the judge would rule in favour of you being legally able to sell the rights you have to your digital copy of the game. However your rights to sell access to the download service is another matter, although blocking access might be seen as a violation of these rights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

SeantheMan wrote: »
    If STEAM somehow implemented this I'd be a happy man, and so would some of you, I've about 150 games on STEAM I've never played that I'd have no problem passing on for little or nothing :D
    And to be honest I think Steam is a very likely candidate to implement this properly (unlike lets say Origin and the like) were they simply remove the game from your account, give you a code and tada, your now free to trade/sell it at will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Varik wrote: »
    Because they're going to be allowed to make sure.

All technical at his disposal.

Well Mr. Gizmo, you'd like to sell you copy of <insert name of game here>

When shall we schedule the polygraph test, or if you'd prefer we can completely search every computer you've ever used the game on.

"all technical means" should not be left that vague ( not that the ruling would be expected to do more)
    Well in the case of Steam, they kind of do this already. If you do happen to get a refund on a game they simply remove it from your account. This works fine for Steam but what about GoG or other client-less platforms?

gizmo wrote: »
    Well in the case of Steam, they kind of do this already. If you do happen to get a refund on a game they simply remove it from your account. This works fine for Steam but what about GoG or other client-less platforms?
    GoG games are so cheap I can't see there being much of a second hand market but there are a few bigger once I can see having problems with it / ignoring it / making you raise a seperate ticket or similar for it.

Nody wrote: »
    GoG games are so cheap I can't see there being much of a second hand market but there are a few bigger once I can see having problems with it / ignoring it / making you raise a seperate ticket or similar for it.
    GoG have already said they intend to start offering new games though, perhaps not all AAA releases given their lack of DRM but certainly ones which are more expensive than the usual $6-10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Was reading through the report myself and just wondering what are the pratical implications are. You can sell your Steam/Origin/WoW accounts? I can't see there ever being a mechanism for people to sell individual games from master accounts.

I don't think it'll ever be a big deal to be honest.
    I don't know about steam and origin, but you won't and can't sell wow accounts.

If you read all terms and conditions it actually says that you rent/borrowing it from blizzard, not owning the account. So if they want they can just take it away at any time.

I would love to see this steam trading system to be honest.

I mean about publishers adding obstacles that you'd rather not do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

The **** hath hiteth the fan...

Not really sure what to make of this. Technically speaking, I'd imagine it's going to be a nightmare to implement and impossible to reasonably police if abused. I'd like to say it's good for the consumer in the long run but it will entirely depend on the reaction of the publishers. Should be interesting to see how they react either way...

The can't stop you, but does it then follow that they must facilitate the transfer of the license?
    Not sure if it does.

also
    ECJ wrote:
    Where the copyright holder makes available to his customer a copy – tangible or intangible – and at the same time concludes, in return form payment of a fee, a licence agreement granting the customer the right to use that copy for an unlimited period, that rightholder sells the copy to the customer and thus exhausts his exclusive distribution right. Such a transaction involves a transfer of the right of ownership of the copy

It seems to be on the basis that you're being sold a infinitely lasting licence when you buy a game, so I guess a quick fix is now that all game licences last 50 years or something.

I mean about publishers adding obstacles that you'd rather not do.
    Ah! Simples so, all Steam trade-ins must be accompanied by a written request to the Valve Corporation offices. Your steam code will be released for trading within 6-8 weeks. :pac:
    The can't stop you, but does it then follow that they must facilitate the transfer of the license?
    Not sure if it does.
    All they'd technically need to do is unlink the steam key from your account and give it back to you. Once the customer has it they can do whatever they want with it. In fact, it would be in Valve's best interest not to facilitate the transfer outside of this step.

Personally I think the introduction of this to Steam would be ****ing catastrophic. Why would you ever need to buy a new full priced game when there's a near permanent supply of below cost games being resold online with no hassle involved?

Not sure if it does.

If it was just a serial key to enter when installing then they couldn't stop it , maybe requirements would be added to make sure it wasn't reproducing
    as the ruling said but when it's your steam account it may be an all or nothing thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

This will end up in higher RRP's. Meaning games will be more expensive at launch and you will have to wait for people to finish / get sick of the game to get it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I dont see how this could be good, will likely drive game prices higher starting off, and probably end the likes of Steam Sales etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finally got to read the article, it was blocked in work. It's a massive step forward for consumers against ridiculous EULA's. Not sure how it could be implemented though or who it affects publishers rights over the distribution service they provide. I'm not sure I'd like to see second hand digital distribution but it's a good move forward in giving consumers the rights that they should have over the digital goods they purchase and a blow against the ridiculous terms that are added to EULA's which really should be only granting the user a license and not adding anything extra.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

It's a welcome and fairly seismic ruling but I wonder what the long term effects will be. The first thing big corporations do when confronted with restrictions is to try and get around the restrictions.

So would a ruling like this affect cloud streaming services where for example, you're not actually buying any individual game but rather a service to play any game from their library.

It might end up pushing the industry in a direction we might not like. Still early days. I've closed the protective plastic cover over my giant red panic button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hmmmm how will this go down with Microsoft and Sony I wonder?

At present they are not really stopping you selling the downloaded games just have no way in place for you to do so other and selling the account, they could hardly be forced to provide one could they ?

Even if they were forced to do so, it could be years by the time it happened and they were done fighting it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

Does this mean that if I sold my Steam account and steam said "hey you o allow sells!!!" and banned the account, I could bring them to court and get the 1,700 or whatever euro my account is worth?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Does this mean that if I sold my Steam account and steam said "hey you o allow sells!!!" and banned the account, I could bring them to court and get the 1,700 or whatever euro my account is worth?
    No, the ruling don't say you have the right to sell your Steam account, only that you should get a possibility to sell your games attached to your account.

Which gave me another thought; what about games were you've been banned? What would stop you from "selling" it to yourself to create a new account for free to get around a ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭_vti

I just hope it spurs better games *cough* MW3 *cough*

Everytime I see that 60e on Steam I laugh so much I choke

_vti wrote: »
    I just hope it spurs better games *cough* MW3 *cough*

Everytime I see that 60e on Steam I laugh so much I choke

COD is the kind of game it will encourage, where there is a mp mode that will keep people online for months without even thinking of selling it. People bitched about mp in mass effect but with this i can see every game needing it to get anywhere with a publisher.
    No, the ruling don't say you have the right to sell your Steam account, only that you should get a possibility to sell your games attached to your account.

Neither does it say they need to separate the games out or refer anything similar to the assigned games we have.

I think selling the whole account is more likely than them allowing individual games to be sold.

Which gave me another thought; what about games were you've been banned? What would stop you from "selling" it to yourself to create a new account for free to get around a ban?

The game (key or account) would already be banned and likely stay that way, i can see people doing as they do with the 360 and ps3 when they trade them in when they're on their last legs. It's buyer beware with used products if you got a game that was banned then tough luck.

COD is the kind of game it will encourage, where there is a mp mode that will keep people online for months without even thinking of selling it. People bitched about mp in mass effect but with this i can see every game needing it to get anywhere with a publisher.

More than likely. You can buy the game second hand but you'll be paying us extra for access to our multiplayer servers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd agree this poses more of a threat to the indie developers who deserve each of their sales. People 'swapping' games nonchalantly could pose a slight risk to them. Bigger games don't currently rely on the PC or download market, so they'll feel the hit less.

Still, I can't forsee Valve just opening the floodgates and letting anarchy ensue. If someone does act upon these findings, I'd be surprised if it isn't without a complication to limit abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Steam trading would be fantastic for the consumer, not so much for games companies or Steam though possibly - consumers could drives down prices of games while Steam still sells them at full whack. Or you buy games from Russia or whatever for a tenner, then sell on for 40 euro, stuff like that. Some of which you can actually already do.

I wonder could this ruling be applied also to MMO's like Wow ?
    Wouldn't mind being able to legally sell that and a bunch of other games without having to resort to somewhat dodgy ways to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Without putting too much thought into it (so I could be wrong) but the 3 main loopholes that I'd see are:

1) companies like Steam are based in the US, so may try to claim that US law supersedes EU law.
    2) they can't stop you from selling a game you bought on their service, but they don't have to provide the facility for you to do it.
    3) Steam doesn't let you sell your account and this ruling deals with games, not accounts.

As I said, I haven't put too much thought into these, they're just off the top of my head. But if I can come up with 3 possible excuses almost instantly, I'd say their lawyers will come up with more rock solid excuses over the coming weeks and months.

As Johnny_Ultimate says, this will hurt independent developers a hell of a lot more than the bigger companies, who will just increase their dependence on the already abused DLC systems and/or subscription based services.

I really don't see this as a good thing for gamers (but I'm pessimistic like that).

humanji wrote: »
    1) companies like Steam are based in the US, so may try to claim that US law supersedes EU law.
    2) they can't stop you from selling a game you bought on their service, but they don't have to provide the facility for you to do it.
    3) Steam doesn't let you sell your account and this ruling deals with games, not accounts.

1) When you sell something in the EU you are bound by EU law. There's no loophole there.
    2) I think the ruling said that they have to provide a means to sell your digital content.
    3) Yup

I can see a lot of digital services dealing with this by rebranding themselves as a service like netflix where they rent the game to you but you don't own it. It might even be in the EULA agreements already, although that opens a can of worms were a seperate rental license should be provided and not a software EULA.

Also I can see a way that steam and the likes can put a positive spin on it by charging a service charge to sell the content that sneakily goes to the publisher.

• Advertisement

oxo_ wrote: »
    I wonder could this ruling be applied also to MMO's like Wow ?
    Wouldn't mind being able to legally sell that and a bunch of other games without having to resort to somewhat dodgy ways to do so.

You can sell WOW. However access to the servers is a service blizzard provide and they don't have to let the person buying it use them.

Advertisement