Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of 'God particle' found

Options
  • 03-07-2012 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

GENEVA (AP) — Scientists working at the world's biggest atom smasher plan to announce Wednesday that they have gathered enough evidence to show that the long-sought "God particle" answering fundamental questions about the universe almost certainly does exist.

But after decades of work and billions of dollars spent, researchers at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, aren't quite ready to say they've "discovered" the particle.

Instead, experts familiar with the research at CERN's vast complex on the Swiss-French border say that the massive data they have obtained will essentially show the footprint of the key particle known as the Higgs boson — all but proving it exists — but doesn't allow them to say it has actually been glimpsed.

It appears to be a fine distinction.
    http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-proof-god-particle-found-131226045.html

TL;DR The data the scientists have collected shows the footprint of the Higgs boson particle.

/MOD SNIP: article quote shortened for copyright infringement reasons

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Jesus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Sky King wrote: »
    Jesus!

Jesus, son of Higgs Boson Particle just doesn't have the same ring to it. And how will people know when to sit, stand or kneel? Or will they just run around in circles really really fast to show their respect for the particle that created them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

cool, and here was the rest of us just thinking the collider was just going to create a black hole and kill us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

But sure you don't need proof when you have faith ................ God probably made it all happen anyway :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The ould nuns are gonna have a fair job flattening that particle into a communion host.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Thank God for science!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

This. Changes. Everything.

Lol wut?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Science H. Logic! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

This was my reaction when i heard this,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

do muslims call the god particle the allah particle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

FatherLen wrote: »
    cool, and here was the rest of us just thinking the collider was just going to create a black hole and kill us all.
    They're not finished yet! :D

I'm treating science like religion now, as in i don't understand it but i take a gaint leap of faith and just accept it.

Does this help prove the string theory? Cause i cant read that again my head nearly exploded the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

smash wrote: »
    http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-proof-god-particle-found-131226045.html

TL;DR The data the scientists have collected shows the footprint of the Higgs boson particle.

If I say three decades of the rosary to it every tuesday for a month, will I win the lotto?

They're not finished yet! :D
    Of course, if it look's like that is going to happen we'll be told it's Gods' revenge for doubting - either way we can't win.

Nodin wrote: »
    If I say three decades of the rosary to it every tuesday for a month, will I win the lotto?
    Most definitely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Great - Q all the religious fanatics saying "I told you so".....

Chips Ahoy wrote: »
    Does this help prove the string theory? Cause i cant read that again my head nearly exploded the first time.

Did you read all of the string theory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Nodin wrote: »

no you'll need to also attend several novenas and offer to help out with cleaning the church windows once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The big announcement is coming tomorrow... Will be interesting.

Did you read all of the string theory?

Obviously not. Good read if your in bed , will send you straight to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

They're going to announce that they found the God Particle, but that they lost it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

They're going to announce that they found the God Particle, but that they lost it again.
    And then the Christians are going to say "But who made the God particle?"

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

That story just gave me a large hardon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

So the proof is that there is a gap where nothing but the god particle could exist so therefore it must exist. A bit too religious for my liking.

smash wrote: »
    And then the Christians are going to say "But who made the God particle?"
    And argue that the biblical version of the creation of the universe is just a 'more poetic' description of it. After all, the bible is no longer meant to be taken literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

As far as I know its a mass giving particle (in theory) that gives mass to other fundamental particles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

No idea what this means at all. They've found god or it's still a mystery? If they found evidence then which god have they found?! Does he have a long white beard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

— all but proving it exists —

So it's down to believing. :rolleyes:

No idea what this means at all. They've found god or it's still a mystery? If they found evidence then which god have they found?! Does he have a long white beard?

They've found scientific evidence to explain the origin of the universe, therefore offering proof that it was not God's creation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

i think it means the opposite

Advertisement