Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai or Security for Spanish Arch

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

If its a crowd of actual thugish looking people or people wearing tracksuits etc then it will make them look even more thuggish but a group of normal lads and girls all well dressed for heading out I think its obvious enough they just brought one for the road.

We have been doing it for so long now it just seams the normal thing to do, so I just find it a bit strange people have such a low opinion of it.

It's not the done thing is it? well dressed guys and girls walking down the street drinking out of cans makes them look thuggish, nice clothes or not imo.

hondasam wrote: »
    It's not the done thing is it? .

Done thing by my crew anyway since 1st year in University which is nearly 10 years ago now, I see plenty of others at it too. We (the lads anyway) would always grab a can or bottle for the trip into town be it walking or in a taxi, never saw it as anything other than using the 15 mins or whatever on the trip as a chance to have an extra drink.

I suppose it originated from people not being finished drinks when taxis arrived or it was time to leave so we started to bring them with us and then than moved onto bringing an extra one for the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

young people drinking you say. this sounds like enough material for an entire show of liveline.even you they are not threatening in their behaviour you could imagine that some folk might feel threatened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

GarIT wrote: »
    I will go back and answer everything when I get a chance but I have a quick post to follow the style of everyone else.

Discriminating against a whole group of people for the actions of a small few = breaking the law.
    Making false accusations about a whole group of people rather than picking out the individual culprits = breaking the law.
    Slander without due cause = breaking the law.
    Discriminating against someone based on their appearance = breaking the law.
    Trying to force people out of a public place where they have a right to be = breaking the law.

pretending to know what is going on in a place that you haven't stepped foot in for five years - plain stupid!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's not the done thing is it? well dressed guys and girls walking down the street drinking out of cans makes them look thuggish, nice clothes or not imo.
    And this was my point all along, you are the one with the problem. You and those like you see anyone drinking outside as a thug regardless of the actual facts.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    And this was my point all along, you are the one with the problem. You and those like you see anyone drinking outside as a thug regardless of the actual facts.

That's not what I said.
    There is a big difference in a group of people sitting on the green having a laugh and a drink to a group of people walking down the street drinking.
    I have no problem with people drinking outside at all.

Nox001 said it's the done thing to walk along the street drinking, I don't think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

well dressed guys and girls walking down the street drinking out of cans makes them look thuggish, nice clothes or not imo.

No not really. If I saw a lad dressed up and drinking I'd think they were going clubbing, not about to attack someone.
    You and those like you see anyone drinking outside as a thug regardless of the actual facts.

Agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

That's not what I said.
    There is a big difference in a group of people sitting on the green having a laugh and a drink to a group of people walking down the street drinking.
    I have no problem with people drinking outside at all.

So that fact that their legs are moving while they're drinking is what makes you think they're out to mug someone?

Tym wrote: »
    No not really. If I saw a lad dressed up and drinking I'd think they were going clubbing, not about to attack someone.

I never said anything about attacking anyone. If I see someone wearing a hoodie I don't think they are about to attack someone either.

Treadhead wrote: »
    So that fact that their legs are moving while they're drinking is what makes you think they're out to mug someone?

I suggest you re read my post, I never mentioned anything about attacking or mugging, I don't know where you are getting that from.

I suggest you re read my post, I never mentioned anything about attacking or mugging, I don't know where you are getting that from.
    By using the label "thug" it implies the person your talking about is prone to violence.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    By using the label "thug" it implies the person your talking about is prone to violence.

Do you not agree there is a difference with sitting in a group having a drink and walking along the street drinking cans of beer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Unless they're wearing a hoodie and tracky bottoms while doing the walk I wouldn't think twice about somebody drinking while walking down the street. You'd swear somebody walking about enjoying a pint was going to be a serial killer.

Unless they're wearing a hoodie and tracky bottoms while doing the walk I wouldn't think twice about somebody drinking while walking down the street. You'd swear somebody walking about enjoying a pint was going to be a serial killer.

By your logic it's ok depending on the clothes they are wearing. If a man in a suit is doing it it's ok but a lad in a hoodie is a serial killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

By your logic it's ok depending on the clothes they are wearing. If a man in a suit is doing it it's ok but a lad in a hoodie is a serial killer.
    Never implied that at all if you read that again. I said if they did the knacker walk I'd probably take notice. If somebody wears I hoodie and doesn't intentionally look dodgy I don't care at all like the majority of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

I will go back and answer everything when I get a chance but I have a quick post to follow the style of everyone else.

Discriminating against a whole group of people for the actions of a small few = breaking the law.

I guess then drink driving laws should only apply to those who crash!

Making false accusations about a whole group of people rather than picking out the individual culprits = breaking the law.

Therefore of you are hiding in a group you are exempt from prosecution or scrutiny

Matter of opinion!

thats a predjuice, but its not one of the 9 grounds for discrimination under the equal status act!

Trying to force people out of a public place where they have a right to be = breaking the law.

Not if they are breaking the law in the first place!

Do you not agree there is a difference with sitting in a group having a drink and walking along the street drinking cans of beer?
    Not really, if someone is going to meet friends at the Spanish arch for example and they're bringing drink with them to drink with their friends I don't see the problem with cracking open that can at the house and drinking it on the way to the Spanish arch. Now, it's not something that I would do, there is a bit of a stigma there but I'm also a clutz and would more than likely end up covered in beer by the time I got there.

I really think this hatred of public drinking is a hang up rather than being any sort of real problem. People don't like it but that doesn't make it wrong and it really doesn't give the ones that don't like it the right to stigmatise and criminalise the people who are drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

The problem is that not everyone is responsible and when the situation starts to get out of hand, the only way to effectively deal with it is to ban it. The scumbag will always point to the decent guy and say "I'm only doing what hes doing" however at the end of the night the scumbag could well have smashed his bottle off the head of the decent guy. The decent guy will complain about the scumbag, the scumbag will deny he did it and claim hes being discriminated against under various grounds. Let them drink in the pubs that are licensed and have a duty of care to people or drink at home and knock the heads of their friends and family if they want. I dont like to see decent people walking down a public street being assaulted by people out of their heads on buckfast. It also allows for underage drinking to place in public in the city centre and this is a large part of the problem. Most of these under age are going around with coke bottles mixed with spirits. Anyway its a far deeper problem and when parents dont give a **** what can you expect!

Advertisement