Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still listen to Newstalk Breakfast after Ivan Yates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Looks like the "th" was declared dead and buried this morning with Ian Guider and Mick Clifford presenting the show. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Irishoz

Heroditas wrote: »
    Looks like the "th" was declared dead and buried this morning with Ian Guider and Mick Clifford presenting the show. :(

He is just off on holidays. He will return. Mick Clifford is not too bad. As for Ian, I always think he sounds like an overgrown nerd lol. But that's actually not bad when you consider he covers business! It gives you the impression that he knows what he's talking about!

Irishoz wrote: »
    He is just off on holidays. He will return. Mick Clifford is not too bad. As for Ian, I always think he sounds like an overgrown nerd lol. But that's actually not bad when you consider he covers business! It gives you the impression that he knows what he's talking about!

Sorry, I was referring to how Guider and Clifford can't pronounce their "th" either.

"Dis ting is tirty tree years old"

*shudder*

At least they can pronounce Sattiday properly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Tuned in this morning while channel hopping (as Chris away) and was very pleasently surprised at a couple of excellent segments by Mick Clifford - an interview with a sociologist on what makes the Quinn surporters tick, and a piece with their roving reporter who spent time with an ambulance crew in Dublin.

I've been critical of Clifford before, and it is of course hard not to be put off by the heavy Kerry accent, but the ambulance crew interviews were really profound - from their post traumatic stress disorder problems to how they delivered a baby on the night the reporter was with them.

It was the sort of stuff you just know Tubridy or John Murray would have completely messed up. So surprising for Clifford to strike just the right note. Maybe he would be best kept away from the politics where he seems to just repeat the obvious most of the time (like Shane Coleman)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Was that, what makes Quinn supporters TICK? or what makes Quinn supporters THICK? Both questions are relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Broke last week and switched to radio one, after listening to the same slot on newstalk since David McWilliams presented it. I just couldn't take Ian Guider being the main host a second longer. His diction simply kills me. Radio one is boring but it is growing on me. And I no longer feel murderous rage before going to work in the mornings which makes up for a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

That Coleman is some tool. All he could say about Quinn's daughter's interview the other night was that she was "seriously impressive". It was my first time tuning into the show all summer and I quickly changed over after hearing that.

For the first time in 5 years of listening to morning radio, I am listening to music instead.

It's being reported in the Sindo that Claire Byrne will take over Radio 1's morning slot.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't she state that she was looking forward to doing light entertainment when she left Newstalk?

Anyway, News talk really need to capitalize on this and appoint a top notch breakfast host. There's now an opportunity to grab some of Radio 1's listeners.
    Byrne is, in a word, awful.
    Far too many cringe worthy moments - most notably when she tried to get a van together with supplies to help during the floods back in 2009. Awful stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

CLAIRE Byrne is being lined up to become the new voice of Morning Ireland from next October, according to RTE sources.
    The RTE star has quickly become one of the station's most accomplished performers on TV and radio -- and is being primed by the station to become the next queen of Irish broadcasting.
    Her shot at hosting the Marian Finucane Show has drawn rave reviews and she also managed to impress the top brass with stints on RTE's Late Debate and, most notably, the station's flagship radio programme Morning Ireland.
    "She has a big future at RTE and bosses there have great plans for her. The days of light entertainment are long behind her and it's now about making her the station's face of news and current affairs," said sources close to RTE.
    "There was very strong talk of her filling Anne Doyle's shoes as the face of the Nine O'Clock News. Unless something dramatically changes after the new boss, Kevin Bakhurst, comes in, her future for the time being is on Morning Ireland."
    Speculation that she was to become a permanent fixture on the show began last May, when she filled in for one of the main presenters.
    Former Morning Ireland presenter Aoife Kavanagh recently resigned from the broadcaster in the wake of the Fr Kevin Reynolds libel scandal.
    Since last year, Rachael English and Gavin Jennings have worked full time with Cathal Mac Coille on the programme. Aine Lawlor, who was recently treated for cancer, also made a return earlier this year.
    Ms Byrne has made no secret of her desire to continue in the current affairs area, saying in a recent interview: "The current affairs side of my career is very, very important to me and I love radio."

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/claire-byrne-lined-up-for-morning-ireland-role-3203556.html

Rave reviews?!!What fecken rave reviews? The only time I've heard anyone say anything even vaguely complementary about her radio career is the blatantly shill reader comments stuck on the end of this article.

When Sile Seoige first started appearing on Newstalk the same kind of articles about her kept popping up in The Herald and The Independent. Byrne and Seoige have same agent - "Advertisement" really should have been put on top of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

EchoO wrote: »
    Rave reviews?!!What fecken rave reviews? The only time I've heard anyone say anything even vaguely complementary about her radio career is the blatantly shill reader comments stuck on the end of this article.

When Sile Seoige first started appearing on Newstalk the same kind of articles about her kept popping up in The Herald and The Independent. Byrne and Seoige have same agent - "Advertisement" really should have been put on top of the above.

That someone with the level of talent that she appears to possess should be so feted only goes to prove that how empty the cupboard is.

• Advertisement

To be fair, the article is written by Niamh Horan - a journalist who is only one step up the ladder from Alison O'Riordan.
    The comments under the article are hilarious, particularly those saying she's abrasive. Maybe they're getting abrasive and grating mixed up.

The Sindo is a rag - the article by Anne Harris today sucking up to Horan was a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

tbf morning ireland does a rotation of their presenters. byrne actually sounds better on one-dunno why, presume it's her production team.
    If you want to know whats happening morning ireland is much better. they speak properly too!
    newstalk breakfast is current affairs 'light'. they've made a concerted effort to slag eachother which i believe is inappropriate given the subject matter. yates slagging off chris for being a bore was well below the belt. however yeates was spot on with his analysis. he wont be back working on these shores anytime soon given his debt situation

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

digzy wrote: »
    he wont be back working on these shores anytime soon given his debt situation

1-2 years max

i will be counting down the days:D

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

You're eh listen eh ing to eh Shane eh Cole eh man on eh News eh Talk eh 106 eh to 108

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just realised that I have pretty much stopped listening to Newstalk Breakfast since Ivan left. I still listen in shower and in car into work, but work is only a few minutes of a drive. Before I used listen while at work too, but not anymore, the show has become awful poor.

It does leave a problem as to what to do between 9 and 10, John Murray is bloody terrible on Radio 1.

And I like Claire Byrne, thought she was good on the Late Debate... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The Chris'ism that used to annoy the hell out of me:
    If you've been with us since 7, welcome along. If you've just joined us, where have you been?

Still, I dont think he's so bad, even if the shtick does get very repetitive.

I do miss Ivan Yates though. Chris and Shane Coleman are oh-so policitally correct and right-on on all issues. I like how Ivan wasn't afraid to jump in with both feet and upset the apple cart on certain topics.

I thought it was very funny how Chris had a laugh at himself this morning when they were talking about the Tipp hurler getting abusive phonecalls and how it's a bit much for an amateur.
    It was something along the lines of "you should see some of the abuse I get .... and plenty of them saying I'm the amateur!"

I wonder if he reads some of the threads here! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heard that and did wonder myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

Doubt he does - if he did he wouldn't persist with some of the more annoying habits such as never asking a question without putting it in 2/3 different ways first, referring to Oisin Langan as 'Osh' (I could go on here...). At least he hasn't referred to Ian Guider as the 'Guider missile' recently - I must admit to nearly crashing the car at that beaut. I rarely listen now, though in this quiet news period RTE is also struggling for an interesting angle on anything.

In happier news I did note the other day that one of them (COD/SC) mentioned that they were reunited after the holidays 'for now' so maybe changes will be made soon - How about a dream team of Bobby Kerr and Dill (sp) on the breakfast show!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

robbe wrote: »
    In happier news I did note the other day that one of them (COD/SC) mentioned that they were reunited after the holidays 'for now' so maybe changes will be made soon - How about a dream team of Bobby Kerr and Dill (sp) on the breakfast show!

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

image.jpg

Bobbies Breakfast Show has a nice a ring to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭GSF

Any truth to the rumours that Charlie Bird might end up on NewsTalk Breakfast? I believe he was in the frame to replace Eamonn Dunphy after he left The Last Word on Today FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No NO NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

GSF wrote: »
    Any truth to the rumours that Charlie Bird might end up on NewsTalk Breakfast? I believe he was in the frame to replace Eamonn Dunphy after he left The Last Word on Today FM
    He was seen having lunch with John Keogh late last week so something might be happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

GSF wrote: »
    Any truth to the rumours that Charlie Bird might end up on NewsTalk Breakfast?

If they have listened to his manic, delirious performances while standing in for Marian, there is no way that they could employ him..

And that Dil wan really bugs me... Leaves her own country cos doesnt like the rules there, and moves to the most politically correct country with the most liberal media, so that she can give out to us all about how right wing we are... The woman is insufferable..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

moves to the most politically correct country with the most liberal media, .

I thought she lived in Ireland?

If they have listened to his manic, delirious performances while standing in for Marian, there is no way that they could employ him....

Is he any worse than Bobby Kerr, Mick Clifford or even George Hook though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Don't think Charlie can work anywhere that is in competition to RTE for a year, I believe it is in his retirement contract.

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Don't think Charlie can work anywhere that is in competition to RTE for a year, I believe it is in his retirement contract.
    Well he said he wasnt retiring but moving to pastures new and hoped to be in front on a microphone & camera in 6 months time. So that could mean he is doing a Gay Byrne, Mike Murphy, etc and going freelance effectively, with work from RTE and others or he could end up in Newstalk or doing a column for a red top or maybe all 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Ivan was was officially declared bankrupt by a court in Swansea last Friday week.

Advertisement