Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALIVE Newspaper - Your opinion of it?

Options
  • 30-06-2012 10:54am
    Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi there,

Anybody else have this publication delivered to their door? I do and I find it utterly repulsive and offensive. It targets those of no belief or faith in the church.

I have emailed and phoned them to ask them not to deliver it to my door. Is there any way I can have them stopped? I think it's important to be measured about it. I've considered it for a while and I don't think I'm being overly hot headed about it. The articles are truely repulsive, for e.g., The childrens' referendum is bad because it will give the State powers to take any child it wants at any time, RTé news reporters are targetted when they report church abuse, it's clearly anti-abortion and between the lines it's homophobic too.

What's your opinion? Am I right to be angry about its delivery to my door? Is there anything that can be done about it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I remember Robin once described it as a "far-right rag." When challenged on it by a catholic who I think called it "a lovely little paper" or something, he admitted that he'd toned down his original post, where he called it a "neo-fascist rag."

The latter term is, I think, pretty apt. But the dumbag mailbag, where they badly parody strawmen of the positions opposed to them, is always good for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Between the lines it's homophobic? Last time I checked it was blatantly so.

Here's a question, does anyone know anybody who actually reads it in a serious manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

First opinion.....STOP SHOVING THAT **** THROUGH MY LETTER BOX!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Great for using to dry out my wet runners after running in the rain, shíte for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

It's awful tripe, I've had the displeasure of flicking through it out of curiousity/sheer boredom. It's like something that would come out of the American bible belt except its a warped Irish catholic version geared towards, who knows, people who were kicked out of Youth Defence for being too extreme?

It is useful as boot stuffer and cat p1ss absorber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Well I have run an advert in it a few times , and the advert always paid for itself .

It must have some readers .........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's only good for wiping dirt off my shoes after a run through the woods.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭saspeir

So any way I can get them to stop delivering it? I really don't want it delivered. They boast in the paper that they have x amount of papers delivered every month. I don't want any contact with them and I don't want to even have to pick up such a scumbag publication from my letterbox again...

Glad to see there's some consensus of opinion on this one... I'm sure most moderate catholics would distance themselves from this s*ite...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

saspeir wrote: »
    So any way I can get them to stop delivering it? I really don't want it delivered.

Alive newspaper don't actually know you. They give bundles to local volunteers who distribute them however they choose. It must be some local volunteer that is putting them though your letter box. If it bothers you so badly, best to speak to them next time they deliver it, or leave a notice for them on your door. I get loads of other junk through the door as well, from Jehovah Witnesses to pizza delivery, if it wasn't that it would be some other junk. It doesn't get me hysterical or stressed out, I just bin what I don't want to read.

Glad to see there's some consensus of opinion on this one... I'm sure most moderate catholics would distance themselves from this s*ite...

Alot of the articles would be far from the mainstream or orthodox alright, I would say any Catholic should exercise a fair bit of caution when reading it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭saspeir

Alive newspaper don't actually know you. They give bundles to local volunteers who distribute them however they choose. It must be some local volunteer that is putting them though your letter box. If it bothers you so badly, best to speak to them next time they deliver it, or leave a notice for them on your door. I get loads of other junk through the door as well, from Jehovah Witnesses to pizza delivery, if it wasn't that it would be some other junk. It doesn't get me hysterical or stressed out, I just bin what I don't want to read.

We have junk mail come through anyways. I don't mind that. This is targetted abuse. It's vile. It wouldn't bother me if it was a once off leaflet to say this is what the catholic church/mormons/jehovahs believe in but it's a running commentary from what has been and to a large extent still is a destructive organisation in this country.

It's in a league of its own in my opinion...

I actually got talking to one of the delivery people. He said he was employed to deliver it. Maybe next time I see him I'll enquire more to see if he is, in fact, a volunteer. He seemed angsty about the subject when I asked him about it. I'll ask him to stay away from my property in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Am I being discriminated against or do they not distribute it to homes in rural Laois? :confused:

I'd say the existence of rags like that is, in a way, a positive sign in that they now recognise they have to make an effort to reach people to put forward their whacko views. In the past, the same people dutifully flocked to Mass on Sunday, every Sunday and swallowed all that guff without demur. :)

My advice to the OP would be not to waste any time trying to contact them. There are plenty of uses for newsprint - from putting dirty shoes on to letting the cat piss in it. Or you might even try reading it from time to time if you ever feel yourself wavering in your conviction that religion is a lot of shite that is strictly for the birds. :D:D

clp53073.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm glad they deliver to me. Better I get it than someone impressionable. I must ask for more copies. Bankrupt 'em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Used it for food waste for the compost bin, it kinda just burst through. Useless rag.

This is targetted abuse. It's vile. .

In that case I would report it to the authorities

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It has been ages since I got any nonsense religious crap in the letterbox. When I do get it, though, I think of the stupidity of the sender, and also that I'm happy its people like me getting this stuff. I'd rather people who will know its daft bollix than it getting to other people who might not take such a dim view to it. Kind of a better way to look at it for those of us who get it. Better us than some moron who might find merit in the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The Jehovah's gave my friend across the street from me loads of literature. He told them i was a palaeontologist and that they should pay me a visit. they never did :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Sorry if I'm breaking rules with this, but there doesn't appear to be any rules on neck-romance in this part of the woods.

My mother brought a March 2013 copy home from mass yesterday (while I was on a driving lesson she went to Dooradoyle church) and almost immediately threw it away in disgust.

I found it in a very dishevilled state in the bathroom, and read half an article, about Vicky Pryce and the abortion she was forced into (not the alive article) by her husband the Fib Dem Chris Huhne. Of course the fundies turned it from an article which should have been about women deciding for themselves what to do with their bodies, and not being under the control of men, to the shame of abortion and how she was going to hell for what someone made her do, and how they are going to ensure there is no compulsion over the abortion issue by forcing all women to not have abortions.

Truly sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I remember Robin once described it as a "far-right rag." When challenged on it by a catholic who I think called it "a lovely little paper" or something, he admitted that he'd toned down his original post, where he called it a "neo-fascist rag."

Is there a link to this post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh, Alive. This is why we can't have nice things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Is there a link to this post?
    This one perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Have been meaning to catch the person delivering them and kindly requesting they stop delivering it to my house. They're like feckin' ninjas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

Have been meaning to catch the person delivering them and kindly requesting they stop delivering it to my house. They're like feckin' ninjas though.
    Maybe the Gideons deliver them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Is there anything that can be done about it?

Throw it in the bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I despair for the world that an educated person capable of forming a coherent sentence would write this drivel of a rag of a paper.

In saying that my Aunt does deliveries of this paper, she has a few mental issues and her faith and getting involved in the church keeps her grounded, if you want to complain to someone about the deliveries goto your local priest he's probably responsible for distribution. The people pushing the papers in the door have no real say they're just told to put one in the door of every house in an estate. She's gotten abuse from a few people about it before and that's not really on at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My opinion of it is that it'll be handy for making little pots to start seeds in. I only need one copy a year though, because I don't have a real fire to light, nor a budgie whose cage needs lining.

I really must get one of those 'no junk mail, no free papers' signs for my door.

talk to Joe - it's on liveline

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

That's another issue in the fire. Main story; something about attack on faith schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm informed this came from Alive.

BEcxLX-CUAAd4xq.jpg

What the actual f*ck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

"Talk about bias!" - from the paper which refuses to list those missteps.

Oh bollocks, I forgot - papal infallabilty. :rolleyes:

Advertisement