Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport Service.

Options
  • 29-06-2012 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭

The Westport service is a disgrace,i have booked on line several times lately and when i got on the train it was standing room only from Claremorris with a bus for people after Ballyhaunis to Dub due to over crowding.At least in the days of MK3 sets,they could easily stick on an extra coach or two to the set.but as we all know nowdays its either 1x3 piece ,2x3 piece or 6 piece/HC 6 piece.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Can't the 22ks operate as a 3x3 set, or would that be too long for some of the platforms along the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

River Song wrote: »
    Can't the 22ks operate as a 3x3 set, or would that be too long for some of the platforms along the way?

They regularly operate 6+3 out of service between Portlaoise train care and Heuston. The only problem is the platform lengths and selective door opening. I believe this does not yet exist or work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I have seen a 6 piece+3 picece operate empty from the train care depot to Heuston many a time,but these are of course empty workings.Never saw a 3x3 piece in operation even empty.and your spot on,platforms too long along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

I heard nothing but hassle from The West abour overcrowding on the routes and those complaints are well justified.Why don't they just put a 6 piece set on the route then get the people to move to the front of the train like the way they used to do it on the MK3s before platforms were extended at various stations.At least this was the case in Athy.The driver would tell people getting off at Athy from Heuston or Wateford to move forward as the platforms were too short

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Rud wrote: »
    Why don't they just put a 6 piece set on the route then get the people to move to the front of the train like the way they used to do it on the MK3s
    Because the safety rules imposed on IE won't allow it, that's why. It is not under IE's control, full stop. The 22000s were accepted under the Railway Safety Act 2005 and while certain things may be grandfathered (like some existing platforms not being straight and non-accessible footbridges) anything more recent must comply.

What IS in IE's control is the fitting of SDO. They tendered for it but did not award. They should be obliged to explain this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

dowlingm wrote: »
    Because the safety rules imposed on IE won't allow it, that's why. It is not under IE's control, full stop. The 22000s were accepted under the Railway Safety Act 2005 and while certain things may be grandfathered (like some existing platforms not being straight and non-accessible footbridges) anything more recent must comply.

What IS in IE's control is the fitting of SDO. They tendered for it but did not award. They should be obliged to explain this.

As far as I know they have now tendered twice for retro fitting of SDO and still nothing. Whoever rubber stamped the original contract for the 22000s without SDO should be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Why don't they just put a 6 piece set on the route then get the people to move to the front of the train like the way they used to do it on the MK3s before platforms were extended at various stations.At least this was the case in Athy.The driver would tell people getting off at Athy from Heuston or Wateford to move forward as the platforms were too short

oh begarra and begosh holey god bless us and save us shur we couldn't do something like that it would mean people moving to the front it would be like going back to the 1950s. with all this health and safety stuff, expecting people to move to the front to get off would be terrible as they would have to walk a little and they may not know where the front is, and they might have to take some responsibility god how we managed on the rosslare line with such a thing happening and having to put our hands out the window to open the doors when we had actual trains i'l never know.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

end of the road

wax nostalgic all you like but if IE were being taken to the cleaners on a weekly basis by the professional litigants who find hairline cracks in the pavement to trip over (or pools of water where there were none before) there would be plenty being said here too.

With SDO IE could be running 6+3 between Heuston and Athlone, with the 6 car set beyond there determined by which leg had the higher demand. Instead it was deemed more important to jam all the passengers into 6 cars - but with wifi.

wax nostalgic all you like but if IE were being taken to the cleaners on a weekly basis by the professional litigants who find hairline cracks in the pavement to trip over (or pools of water where there were none before) there would be plenty being said here too.
    well dowlingm i'm sure thats true, if the courts weren't so happy to pander to such filth we probably wouldn't have to worry about them and such situations wouldn't exist therefore nobody to complain possibly, but the courts are happy to pander to them and side with them and therefore the rest does exist, that sort will be the death of everything looking for compensation for nothing because they fell over nothing and will never amount to anything because they probably don't know their names but know the word compensation. funny thing is that years ago you could tell the type who would be of such sort now days it could be anyone. oh well the world is gone to the dogs anyway but never mind.
    With SDO IE could be running 6+3 between Heuston and Athlone, with the 6 car set beyond there determined by which leg had the higher demand. Instead it was deemed more important to jam all the passengers into 6 cars - but with wifi.

well dowlingm IE were never good on priorities as i'm sure you well know, wouldn't expect anything less.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Organic Cavity

Mark 3's were cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Mark 3's were cool.

They are still cool.Look at them there in Dublin,Waterford and Dundalk rotting away,years of life left in them,reusing to die off and scrap themselves to save IE the hassle.I'd love to get on train behind them again in this country,there should still be that option on particular routes in Ireland,but oh no

They are still cool.Look at them there in Dublin,Waterford and Dundalk rotting away,years of life left in them,reusing to die off and scrap themselves to save IE the hassle.I'd love to get on train behind them again in this country,there should still be that option on particular routes in Ireland,but oh no

are you surprised? this is the same company who put commuter trains designed for short distance routes on long distance regional routes, anyone know what the supposed reason for mark 3s not being able to operate on the rosslare line? it was bull anyway because they did a couple of time operate the sunday evening service during match days, the pushpulls in pull mode and an ordinary mark 3 set once, oh well i suppose they hoped operating 2700 2800 and 2900s would drive away the passengers so they could close the rosslare line well they failed so far thankfully. never mind expect the mark 3s the 2700s 8200s and maybe some of the 201s to go to the brakers anytime soon or maybe not as the government won't fall for their excuses this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Why don't they just put a 6 piece set on the route then get the people to move to the front

2 (3car sets) have 376 seats, 6 car First class set have 376 seats so 2 (3 car sets) better than a 6 car First class set. The only largers sets are the High Capacity sets which have 406 seats and there are only 5 sets. 3 operate on Sligo line, 1 operate on Waterford line and not sure about the other one but it operates from Heuston most of the time.

Irish Rail are currently working on the capacity problems and there should be details on it soon.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    2 (3car sets) have 376 seats, 6 car First class set have 376 seats
    so each 3 car has 376 seats or 2 3 car sets together have 376 seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    2 (3car sets) have 376 seats, 6 car First class set have 376 seats
    so each 3 car has 376 seats or 2 3 car sets together have 376 seats?

together they have 376.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭trellheim

What is wrong with looking at advance bookings on the website and think - "Oh, better put another 6-car set on as a relief," perhaps .... IE do it with the Enterprise so why not with known busy services ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

are you surprised? this is the same company who put commuter trains designed for short distance routes on long distance regional routes, anyone know what the supposed reason for mark 3s not being able to operate on the rosslare line? it was bull anyway because they did a couple of time operate the sunday evening service during match days, the pushpulls in pull mode and an ordinary mark 3 set once, oh well i suppose they hoped operating 2700 2800 and 2900s would drive away the passengers so they could close the rosslare line well they failed so far thankfully. never mind expect the mark 3s the 2700s 8200s and maybe some of the 201s to go to the brakers anytime soon or maybe not as the government won't fall for their excuses this time.

yeah but the alternative at the time was Cravens, much as i loved them; those units were a step in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

trellheim wrote: »
    What is wrong with looking at advance bookings on the website and think - "Oh, better put another 6-car set on as a relief," perhaps .... IE do it with the Enterprise so why not with known busy services ?

That then becomes an issue in ensuring that the specific railcar sets are in the right place to operate the right services as planned (These are called links by the company), which is nowhere near to plan out as easily as people would think.

The Galway/Westport works because it's giving Westport a fourth service daily while getting a 3 car set into Westport to operate an early morning service and a 3 car set onto a less used ex Galway service. Were a six car set to be placed on it instead, it has to taken off other services which means that they can be left short either for the outbound journey or the return into Dublin the next morning. You'd also then lose a train to Westport unless another set is found to connect at Athlone. While a six car set could be taken off the Tralee or Limerick evening services or indeed the 12:30 to Westport direct services, they'd then be short for the early morning trains into Dublin and their net day workings. Even then, that is assuming that a set is free and available at short notice in Heuston. Not to say it can't be done but it's not as simple as you'd think.

BTW there is no relief sets to and from Belfast.

trellheim wrote: »
    I think what you consider relief is actually a 75mph 29K subbing in for yet another failure on the DDs :eek:

Re Westport service,word back from IE. As of last Monday the 1230 ex HN and the 1315 ex WPT have been boosted from a 3 piece to a 2x3 piece.

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    yeah but the alternative at the time was Cravens, much as i loved them; those units were a step in the right direction

well while that is true i think people would have rathered more comfortable cravens then the 2700 2800 and 2900 units. sure they may have been a step in the right direction but they weren't designed for such routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 190E2.516

service is a joke. id to put a car on the road

well while that is true i think people would have rathered more comfortable cravens then the 2700 2800 and 2900 units. sure they may have been a step in the right direction but they weren't designed for such routes.

I didn't mourn the loss of the 2700s after enduring many a run on the Kerry road in them. Good riddance in fact.

Karsini wrote: »
    I didn't mourn the loss of the 2700s after enduring many a run on the Kerry road in them. Good riddance in fact.

i agree, horrid old yokes, the only reason i had against them being withdrawn was their age. are they the lightest of the commuter railcars or are the 2600s lighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

there are still two (or three, depending on the make up) sets loitering down the guiness year of heuston. i glimpsed them on the way out the other day (thats about the extent of my trainspotting) so maybe if one of these consists of a 2x3 set they would have taken that.

3x3 sets i dont (open to correction of course) work, even in a move up the train way, as the entirity of the final set of three could be beyond a short platform leaving no way out from any exit.

i noticed on twitter that the weekend of the weslife concerts that there was severe problems out of westport/ballina. you know, the county the band are from. You would have thought such an obvious fact would have struck IE.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭trellheim

Is someone really going to tell me that with the new 22s coming online we are still magically at 100% fleet utilization ? That there aren't spare DMUs at the moment ?

I don't believe that for a moment.

PS I quite take your point regarding the 29k on the Belfast - that was what I was referring to

• Registered Users Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Remember that the entire 2700 fleet has been withdrawn and the 2800s moved to Limerick.

There are two 22K sets now in Limerick for local Limerick duties, and at least 5 on Connolly based duties replacing the 2800s.

Not so,i travelled on 2715/24 on the Ballina Branch earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well they are in the process of being withdrawn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Karsini wrote: »

Not really for long-ish runs. The old snot-green colour scheme was less than endearing imho. An ugly livery for a thing only a mother could love.

Advertisement