Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-voting machines sold for €70,000

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Guess we 'took a hit on them '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Shame to recycle them

Put them in Irish pubs around the world, a real symbol of a certain time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

the people who came up with the idea should have to foot the bill to the taxpayers - anyway good riddance to bad rubbish,its a pity it didnt work out as e voting could have been something if it was implemented properly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Shame to recycle them

Put them in Irish pubs around the world, a real symbol of a certain time

yeah turn them into fruitys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Shame considering nothing was wrong with them. The teachers and county council workers who kicked up about not getting their easy money for counting votes are to blame! Never mind the €55m lost on the machines, how much money has been payed in wages for vote counters since the scheme was scrapped?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There will be a bunch of warehouse owners crying into their beer tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

mike65 wrote: »
    Unlikely. Many were on 25 year contracts which would still have to be honored. They've just got their man sheds back and will still be paid. Result.

Also, the machines had fundamental flaws. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Fianna Fail's greatest success sadly comes to an end...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

telekon wrote: »
    Fianna Fail's greatest success sadly comes to an end...:(

id say martin cullen choked on his swan tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

galwayrush wrote: »
    Guess we 'took a hit on them '

More of a 'soft landing' surely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

id say martin cullen choked on his swan tonight

I'd say martin cullen couldn't give a flying ****.
    He lives in Florida now, spends his days playing golf and guess who's paying......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Great deal for a dictator, everyone can trust electronic voting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Shame considering nothing was wrong with them. The teachers and county council workers who kicked up about not getting their easy money for counting votes are to blame! Never mind the €55m lost on the machines, how much money has been payed in wages for vote counters since the scheme was scrapped?
    In early with the groundless public sector bashing, I see. But please, don't let facts get in the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Great deal for a dictator, everyone can trust electronic voting.
    Good idea,surely they can find a buyer in Eastern Europe or the Middle East.

In early with the groundless public sector bashing, I see. But please, don't let facts get in the way.

It's all about the PS, isn't it.
    Persecuted ya's are, persecuted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

What part of the public sector are you in? Do you feel guilty getting €700 of taxpayers money for one weekend of counting votes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cullen of course was merely carrying on the policy of......Noel Dempsey whatever he is doing these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yeah turn them into fruitys

yeah, Dr Quirkey would have paid at least double what they got

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

So thats it, €55 million worth of machines sold for 70k all at the stroke of a peann luaidhe.

So thats it, €55 million worth of machines sold for 70k all at the stroke of a peann luaidhe.

Eh, I think we're paying €70k to have them scrapped.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What part of the public sector are you in? Do you feel guilty getting €700 of taxpayers money for one weekend of counting votes?
    I don't count votes, perhaps you could apply to do so?
    How do you make out the it was the vote counters that objected to the scrappage of the discredited machines-as I said, don't let facts get in your blinkered way.

"The government agreed to buy the machines for €50 million nine years ago after they were piloted in a number of constituencies in the 2002 general election and in the Nice referendum.

Since then the bill to taxpayers for the machines has risen to €54.7 million in purchase and storage costs.

Plans to use them nationally in the 2004 European and local elections were abandoned amid controversy over the system’s transparency and whether it was open to manipulation."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1229/1224309592118.html

No mention of public secector employees. Back your statement up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Why didnt you do the count? Last I heard people on social welfare are given preference over the employed when applying for counts...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bop1977

Thankfully we got 70k for these. Big phil hogan ( w**ker) expected to have to pay somebody to recycle them. So it's really a cost saving everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

bop1977 wrote: »
    Thankfully we got 70k for these. Big phil hogan ( w**ker) expected to have to pay somebody to recycle them. So it's really a cost saving everyone.

He could have cut the plugs and leads off them and got nearly the same for the scrap copper AFAIK. That lads an epic fruit loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

in Mallorca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/06/15/00282.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭retroactive

never forget how a Fianna Fail led government lead us from a Celtic Tiger economy into a property bubble founded on corruption and eventually brought this nation to its knees. Its an affront to sensibility and justice that these people have pensions and are not rotting in prison. . . €55 Million.. I hope Martin Cullen gets struck by lightning while on his precious Florida golf course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I would be happy enough to help the lightning on its way by acosting him with a 5 iron first. Hate to think he would only be injured. :-)
    never forget how a Fianna Fail led government lead us from a Celtic Tiger economy into a property bubble founded on corruption and eventually brought this nation to its knees. Its an affront to sensibility and justice that these people have pensions and are not rotting in prison. . . €55 Million.. I hope Martin Cullen gets struck by lightning while on his precious Florida golf course.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Shame considering nothing was wrong with them.
    Oh boy.

anyone with physical access can reprogram them
    anyone with a scanner and computer can probably detect remotely which way a vote was cast

when you remember that the government of the day can set the ground rules for tribunals into corruption the temptation to nudge key marginals may be too much

"They have now been put up for sale and tender over the last few months and we have reached agreement with a company called KMK Metals Recycling Ltd Co. Offaly, for the purchase of those machines for recycling and reuse to the value of €70,000".
    reuse, so maybe they will be appearing in a dictatorship Arab spring country near you soon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Unlikely. Many were on 25 year contracts which would still have to be honored.
    Please tell me you are joking :eek:

Advertisement