Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat Trailer repairs - or used sales

Options
  • 28-06-2012 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

So went to put new bearing on the trailer and realised that we need a new axle. Absolutely raging!

I've priced a new axle and a labour, it amounts to about €700+ which is steep. Does anyone know of someone who is handy at fixing trailers? It's a Roller Coaster 2 trailer. We tried to get the axle off, but can't see any way to get it off (mechanic friend looked at it).

Other option would be to look at a second hand one, can anyone recommend a place that sells them? I'm findin it tough to find a place.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

is it all one axle that your after? or does each wheel have individual axle units?

If it's all one axle then I'd take a trip to my local scrapped car dealer adn talk to him , he may just have something to suit.

Never mind Just saw the other thread... stick with fergal our new mod and you'll be fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

It appears to be an all-in-one axle. Going to contact the orignal dealer and see if he can point us in the right direction.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

try to steer clear of breakers yards for these type of repairs, because with the combine weight of trailer, boat and outboard, the old salvaged hubs are not rated for this weight, nor are car tyre, (and hence why all trailer now have to have suitable axles and tyres and must be have a vin plated,)bearing in mind the value of whats being carried

as the song goes "you took a fine time to leave me 'loose wheel'..":D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Yep with the new laws the days of the homemade trailers and botch up jobs are now gone, the gardai are really cracking down on trailers and there tow vehicles so best to do it right or you may find it impounded.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

breghall wrote: »
    is it all one axle that your after? or does each wheel have individual axle units?

If it's all one axle then I'd take a trip to my local scrapped car dealer adn talk to him , he may just have something to suit.

Never mind Just saw the other thread... stick with fergal our new mod and you'll be fine..

:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

try to steer clear of breakers yards for these type of repairs, because with the combine weight of trailer, boat and outboard, the old salvaged hubs are not rated for this weight, nor are car tyre, (and hence why all trailer now have to have suitable axles and tyres and must be have a vin plated,)bearing in mind the value of whats being carried

as the song goes "you took a fine time to leave me 'loose wheel'..":D

That's noted , but i was on about the bare axle itself no hub just the stub.you can fit new hubs and bearing s then to the axle. Surely one complete axle would have more structure and stability to it than the indespension ones that are just held on one side with u-bolts especially if you can in corporate the leaf springs too onto your trailer?

As for the clamp downs I haven't heard tell of one boater being checked down here in the south east for their trailer worthiness.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

If the trailer is a tandem axle, then the replacement would have to be of the same size in every way to the other remaining axle, especially where the angle at which the hub comes of the axle, which would dictate the height of the axle.
    Any difference would lead handling problems and over load on one of the axles.
    So if the trailer is plated, which all tandem axles should be, maybe back to the dealer for a replacement or trade in, as usually both axles would be of similar repair.

Just to give and update and more importantly say thanks for allyour help.
    Managed to get a new axle for €243 inc VAT- was quoated €393 by an unnamed dealer. Big difference!!
    Anyway the axle is going on this eve, can't wait to get out on the water again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

zacmorris wrote: »
    Just to give and update and more importantly say thanks for allyour help.
    Managed to get a new axle for €243 inc VAT- was quoated €393 by an unnamed dealer. Big difference!!
    Anyway the axle is going on this eve, can't wait to get out on the water again!!
    So who gave the good price then?

Daibheid wrote: »
    So who gave the good price then?
    Parnell Trailers (Indespension Ire).
    Now the impeller has stopped working (AGAIN) on the engine, only replaced itlast year!
    Nearly there... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If it was only done last year it should be fine might be just a little blockage I use a little 10mm syringe to push and pull water through the pee hole and if that doesn't work try the inner wire from a bike brake cable and see if you can clear it out before you dig deeper.

fergal.b wrote: »
    If it was only done last year it should be fine might be just a little blockage I use a little 10mm syringe to push and pull water through the pee hole and if that doesn't work try the inner wire from a bike brake cable and see if you can clear it out before you dig deeper.

Cheers Fergal, I tried the inlet with a coat hanger, but to no avail.
    The Syringe is a good idea, it was last use don the river- there was lots of mud and silt etc. So maybe it settled in the engine, which hasn't been run in 10 months since yesterday. There appears to be steam / smoke coming out of it (slightly blue in colour) when it runs. I turned her off fairly quick as obv didn't want her to overheat!

Advertisement