Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could change one thing about Ireland....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

mike65 wrote: »
    Weather, this is it for the summer btw, muck all the way.
    I thought long-range forecast wasn't possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

dunno if it was said already, but low pollen levels. other than that I quite like Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

More social activities that don't revolve around the pub or alcohol.

Legalise drugs
    I would like to see the Irish population instilled with a greater sense of civic responsibility..

Think junior fire service, german kids get to join junior versions of adult jobs. Teaches them to be productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

I'd change the negativity of the people and the ability to accept criticism...

Two very common traits among Irish people, sadly

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Only Authorities have duties and the rest of us have rights these days and in the crossfire nobody is really listening .Don't ordinary people have duties too ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm sorry but it would have to be the weather for me too I'm afraid.

I always say that this would be one of the best countries around if we had guaranteed sun for the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

i would make irish summers last longer than 3-4 days! :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm sorry but it would have to be the weather for me too I'm afraid.

I always say that this would be one of the best countries around if we had guaranteed sun for the summer.

What would irish people talk about then.

It would be like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3EA5rynJQ&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I would like to see the Irish population instilled with a greater sense of civic responsibility. I think it's appalling how many people are brought up thinking that it's okay to throw litter, deface public property, vandalise and cover anything that doesn't move in grafitti. It drives me insane that in this country we can't have more street assets like flowerpots and art and benches even, because in Ireland anything isn't nailed down is immediately knicked/broken/peed on or in some other way wrecked. In Spain they have tables and chairs with parasols placed in public places, like along the sea front, just so people can sit and relax in the shade. In Ireland they would be gone in the morning. And Irish people can be terrible at even maintaining their own property - there are so many houses with gardens filled with rusting cars or knee high weeds that just ruin everyone else's enjoyment of their own neighbourhood.

We place too much weight on our 'individualism' in this country I think, as if not following the country's laws is something to be proud of. They should teach respect for the community and public property in schools, people don't actually seem to realise/care here that when they deface a bus shelter they are wasting public money, or that when they dump bags of rubbish someone else is going to have to come along and pick them up. It comes down to a total lack of pride and it drives me bonkers.
    The council planted trees in the town centre in Carlow years ago. At least I think they were trees; whatever was in the plant pots never got a chance to grow because everyone used them as ashtrays. There was about ten pots and every one of them were filled with cigarette butts. After they had been here for about four years the council just gave up and removed them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tie Enda Kenny and Michael Noonan to a pallet and set them adrift out into the Atlantic Ocean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

A better justice system

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ukonline

Spread wrote: »
    Turn all the Romas into Brazilian swimwear models!

-

(Google's "Brazilian Swimwear Models" for educational
    purposes.)

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the fact that it's above sea level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I'd like to see a change in the social and dating scene - Something like America where its ok to approach random people and ask them out, rather than relying solely on the pubs and clubs to meet people of the opposite sex.

If Ireland had lotza great weather the Island would look like some Kitschy resort.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I'd like to see a change in the social and dating scene - Something like America where its ok to approach random people and ask them out, rather than relying solely on the pubs and clubs to meet people of the opposite sex.

Eh,Ireland is a democratic country too you know

So are you saying that you yourself can only ask a person out when you are in a pub or nightclub??

If you cant mingle and chat to a person in a shop,on the street or in a cafe or on public transport and then chance your arm to ask them out on a date,then thats a confidence problem that you have.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Eh,Ireland is a democratic country too you know

So are you saying that you yourself can only ask a person out when you are in a pub or nightclub??

If you cant mingle and chat to a person in a shop,on the street or in a cafe or on public transport and then chance your arm to ask them out on a date,then thats a confidence problem that you have.

No I'm saying its not the norm here. Dating cultures differ from place to place. I'm not saying its impossible to meet people outside of the pub/club scene, but Irish do rely on it a lot. And what does Ireland been a democratic coutry have to do with it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

paddyandy wrote: »
    If Ireland had lotza great weather the Island would look like some Kitschy resort.

That's where most Irish go on their holidays, so good for them.

Areas like Kerry, Mayo, Cork, Galway and Wicklow would finally look beautiful all the time, instead of two months a year.
    Unless the great weather made it all the greenery dry out.
    I'm sure we can import the correct plants for the weather, it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Sort out the Roads

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    No I'm saying its not the norm here. Dating cultures differ from place to place. I'm not saying its impossible to meet people outside of the pub/club scene, but Irish do rely on it a lot. And what does Ireland been a democratic coutry have to do with it? :confused:

I dont rely on the pub/club scene.Never have solely relied on the pub/club scene to get a date,to be honest with you.I am confident to talk and chat to anyone anywhere really.My parents instilled it into me from a young age,to be confident in all that I do.

A simple polite and mannerly hello is a great way to start off a chat and conversation with a female in any loaction (cafe,bus,train,shopping centre and so on).

I met my missus when she was working in the retail sector,started to chat to her a few times over a week or 2 of a timescale,then one day I asked her out on a date and 7 years later we are still together and very happily in love.:D

Confidence in one self plays a big part too.

Your original post seemed to "suggest" that no one in Ireland can get a date,unless its "solely" from the pub/club scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

mattjack wrote: »
    I'd arm everybody with dueling pistols.

I'd also give everyone x ray glasses , just like mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I'd tax the churches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

nepotism and quangos like fas and jobbridge blocking up what could be paid jobs advertised in the public domain..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Political and historical illiteracy, and revisionism.

faceman wrote: »
    So lets say you are granted a wish by genie, and the wish is that you can change one thing about Ireland for the better. What would it be?

The only catch is that it is must be realistic and positive in nature and have nothing to do with politics.

I'll kick off with a revised education system that puts greater emphasis on encouragin students to think for themselves, fosters creativity and less focus on data retention.

Good question. Personally i would revamp Health. Ambulance services in particular as two weeks ago up the road from my house, there was a man who had a bad motorcycle crash and it was an hour and a half from the time they were called to come 20 miles. Heard of contrasting cases where two ambulances were called to the one scene. Now i dont blame the ambulances or even the dispatchers as they are under resourced and in life or death situations they have to decide quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭weemcd

Everything has to start with education, standards have been slipping for years, and while I didn't want to admit it at school I always passed everything while doing next to no work. I shouldn't have been able to do that an achieve A grades etc. I think it should be harder than that.

I want the youngest generations to be educated, with manners and able to look at history and see mistakes that should not be repeated. I want them to be in power when I am a young man, forward thinkers, who can look after society better than we do now, look after elders etc.

^unfortunately the current real world situation is the polar opposite :(

Legalise and regulate prostitution. Get rid of the stigma as well as the pimps.

What are we really serious about when discussing Ireland .We don't understand Nationhood .Why a Nation is Great .....or Collapses .Some of the most beautiful Scenic parts of the world have nothing for most people .They don't understand nor care either just like us ? As long as we can pay our bills ???? That's what the present Political Furore is really about and not much else ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

less drunken teenagers they can be rowdy and come up to you and start **** for no reason so ya thats another thing i would change on top of the jobbridge job blocker free labour quango and fas..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Everyone gets a hover car and Fridays off.

Advertisement