Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggested changes to the Boards Hall of Fame

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

So, while these are not your standard distances they are events which themselves merit inclusion on a list for others to aspire to.

I agree that events and distances that aren't so common among boardsies can also see performances worth recording in a Hall of Fame - whether that's a hill run, a sprint, an ultra, or something else altogether. Do we need a process for this, or should it be up to the discretion of individual posters or mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

RayCun wrote: »
    I agree that events and distances that aren't so common among boardsies can also see performances worth recording in a Hall of Fame - whether that's a hill run, a sprint, an ultra, or something else altogether. Do we need a process for this, or should it be up to the discretion of individual posters or mods?

Its probably a separate thread actually as Hall of Fame has a certain ring to it which doesn't really cover the subject matter. I'll start one for the hell of it later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I was only kidding, but actually there is a point in here.

'24 hours around a track' IS a standard distance, there is even an official Irish championship (as well as European and worlds) and the reigning Irish champion happens to be on boards, as I'm pretty sure you know.

And a female boards of fame is definitely worthwhile, so why are you lumping it into the same category as the bicycle pumps unspeakable?
    24 Hours around a track is a standard time. Distance is a measure of space between two points. ;) There's already a very complete list of Irish Ultra records available on the Ultra Running Ireland website. Why don't you ask them to include the records for the 39.3?

A female Hall of fame would be the next logical step, but times could just be added to the existing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Enduro

24 Hours around a track is a standard time. Distance is a measure of space between two points. ;) There's already a very complete list of Irish Ultra records available on the Ultra Running Ireland website. Why don't you ask them to include the records for the 39.3?

39.3 won't be included in any Irish best lists, as its just a course record, not a standard distance.

24 hours is the first non-arbitary length race! That's one of the things I like about it (Since it is based on the rotation of our planet, as opposed to an arbitrary unit of distance or time division).

Anyway, on the main point of dicussion:

In general I would agree with the idea that the HOF entries should be for standard distances, and naturally I think that these should include standard ultra distances, as well as the standard T&F distances, as these are well defined and recognised the by the international governing body. AAI keep lists of best performances over standard distances (and will be adding ultra distances soon), so following their lead would seem logical.

It's mad to think that the blue ribband event of the olympics isn't included in there at the moment, even if just left blank as a target (I'm talking about sprints, and especially 100m).

I don't think that the number of boardsies to do an event should be necessary to have it in the list, but I do think that a quality threshold is a good idea. To take an extreme example, numbers wise, if someone runs a 10 second 100m then surely they deserve listing, even if no other boardsie had registered a 100m time, etc etc. We have that kind of situation in 24 hours, for example, where numbers participating are small, but we a national champion and an Irish record holder.

How to implement a quality threshold I wouldn't be too sure of, but then I'd be perfectly happy to let things run without one, as it would sort itself out over time.

If you start including other things then the list could grow to massive lengths. I know more than most here how brilliant Paul Tierney's Bob Graham Round time is, but if you include that then you open up the possibilty of including a shedload of other things. I could add tons myself alone.

Excluding non standard distances should exclude old neanderthal imperial distances too. All the world governing bodies work in metric now. Again, you otherwise open up the possibilty of having a shedload of distances filling up the list to infinity otherwise (must check my 100 yard dash time).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Enduro wrote: »
    39.3 won't be included in any Irish best lists, as its just a course record, not a standard distance.

I used to think that a couple of years ago when only conn had this distance but there is a few now and id say it will get more plentiful.
    Longford have a 39.3 now and so do the recent rock and roll race up the north. I think its a great distance and very doable for people that can manage a marathon. I hope more and more races put this distance on in the future

• Advertisement
Advertisement