Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

chopser wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume that all that excess space on the sides will now be used for advertisements?
    I don't see this space that people are talking about. Sounds like a browser bug on your end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

LordSmeg wrote: »
    The fact I have to go hover to check if I have pm's makes the useless as a notification.

Anyone who subs to thread will constantly have notifications there. Which I assume is every single person on the site. So as a notification its absolutely pointless for the most part.

The followed thread do serve a purpose as I'm still following them so I want them in my list of followed threads but I dont need constant reminders people still post in them which obscure notifications I actually do want to be informed of.

Its pointless to have it there when its part of the my forums/my threads thing anyway.

http://www.boards.ie/?filter=threads <-- Will only show you the last 50 posts in your followed threads. Will not show you any more than that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription <-- Will show you all followed threads and allow you to unsubscribe from one/many/all

There are clear differences between the two.

I subscribe to threads I've replied to. When I'm no longer interested in getting notifications about this thread because I've lost interest, I unsubscribe. I can come back to it later if necessary.

In this case I fear the problem lies with the user, and not the implementation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

smash wrote: »
    I don't see this space that people are talking about. Sounds like a browser bug on your end.

Only space I see is when you click on my forums. There is a lot of space on the right there which I assume will be filled with advertisements. Perhaps they already are but I cant see them.

Edit check.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

smash wrote: »

Make your browser very wide, full screen. And make sure your resolution is bigger than 1400px wide. The bigger you go above 1400px, the more space will appear to the left and right of the posts on the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's missing the user settings drop-down;

210554.jpg

Aside from that, it looks nice. Will probably stick with the cloud theme for now, though; easier on the eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ah I see it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

the_syco wrote: »
    It's missing the user settings drop-down;

210554.jpg

All easily accessible via the control panel link, which is there when you hover your username :)

There are quicklinks to three things though:
    To change your avatar - click the avatar in the header
    To change email/password - click the link in the user menu dropdown
    To change your profile - as above, click the link in the dropdown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Is that not the mobile site??

• Site Banned Posts: 44 Pegasus Galactica

I like it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's actually hard to look at :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Looks nice and easier to use on the iPad..good work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

It's alright, I don't like that the notifications for new private messages has been merged with updates to followed threads. I would much rather see them separate. It is also a bit too bright.

I much prefer the old beta skin, I will probably stick with that for as long as possible. Old Beta is better!

http://www.boards.ie/?filter=threads <-- Will only show you the last 50 posts in your followed threads. Will not show you any more than that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription <-- Will show you all followed threads and allow you to unsubscribe from one/many/all

There are clear differences between the two.

I subscribe to threads I've replied to. When I'm no longer interested in getting notifications about this thread because I've lost interest, I unsubscribe. I can come back to it later if necessary.

In this case I fear the problem lies with the user, and not the implementation

Previously a notification appeared when a user got a pm. Now it appears along with a notification for every unread thread your subbed to meaning you dont know what its for and there will always be notification there. Whether its 10/15/20/30/60/200 it doesnt matter.

Whats it really notifying you about ? There was a reason there was notifications for just pm's displayed prominently on screen. Those reasons still exist but the "You have a pm" notification has been replaced with "You may or may not have a pm/s and you have a lot of unread subbed threads".

Its pointless as far as I see to change it when it was grand the way it was. If people want subbed thread notifications then they can be showed when you check your threads. A constant reminder you are subbed to threads that hides pm notifications is pointless.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 frogcheese

I like the new skin..... its pretty!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Previously a notification appeared when a user got a pm. Now it appears along with a notification for every unread thread your subbed to meaning you dont know what its for and there will always be notification there. Whether its 10/15/20/30/60/200 it doesnt matter.

Whats it really notifying you about ? There was a reason there was notifications for just pm's displayed prominently on screen. Those reasons still exist but the "You have a pm" notification has been replaced with "You may or may not have a pm/s and you have a lot of unread subbed threads".

Its pointless as far as I see to change it when it was grand the way it was. If people want subbed thread notifications then they can be showed when you check your threads. A constant reminder you are subbed to threads that hides pm notifications is pointless.

The notification part also alerts you to Visitor Messages and Friend Requests, which you can only determine by clicking on the notification. This is the same behaviour in previous skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

The new look is nice , though i'm not a fan of the brightness

Also the new navigation menu looks really nice though it should act like the old one. When selecting a forum from the drop down menu you have to click the name of the forum. (The old site we could just click the row, making it easier for touch screen devices)

The hover functionality was very easy to navigate sub forums (while touch screen users could still click the row to expand it), Bring back the hover

h38eC.png

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Looks really nice.

Kinda makes you think that you are not using the standard vBulletin 3 theme anymore lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Honestly, we had tested this, got rid of it, went back to it and tested it again. In our usability testing, it proved very unfriendly to have things auto expand as you navigated around. Links etc.. kept moving and it was causing a lot of confusion.

What's there at the moment went through extensive testing and is the 4th version of the menu and the once that got the best / most positive feedback.

Tested by whom?
    and with what level of experience of using the site?
    What was the goal of the new skin/interface?

The notification part also alerts you to Visitor Messages and Friend Requests, which you can only determine by clicking on the notification. This is the same behaviour in previous skins.

I have no problem with those, the problem I have is that the notification for pm's has been made redundant by adding notifications for subbed threads.

Subbed threads are closer to subbed forums than Pm's. Why are they in the user menu rather than added to the end of the my forum menu as followed threads ? I dont understand why they are lumped in with personal user stuff as opposed to regular forum business and in the process hiding personal notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

No it's not the same behaviour.

In the old beta skin I get a PM notification.

I get a general notification for vistor messages and friend requests.

And I have the new post notification for subbed threads.

Those are 3 separate services which all allow me to quickly determine what the notifications are for. Now I get a single notification of a number which may be any one of the four above.

Granted, it takes a fraction of second to hover over the drop down and see what it is for but over a long period of time that time lost is going to add up. It also scraps the ability to determine these things at a glance.

I can't see how this improves usability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

Sharrow wrote: »
    Tested by whom?
    and with what level of experience of using the site?
    What was the goal of the new skin/interface?

(given that some of the testing was done prior to me joining, i'm only going to comment on what I've been involved in)

All moderators have had access and have been giving feed back to us for over 2 weeks now (and they would have vast experience on the site).

The goal of the new skin / interface is to make the site more usable and bring it more in line with various standards / design standards in the industry.

Why do you ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Meh. Looks like all the text has been pushed over to the RHS of the screen. Now I feel like I'm reading the shaggin' Sunday Tribune again. Haven't we enough problems with posters using poor punctuation?

I reckon I'll be seeing many more word blizzards 'cause of all this re-sizing nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Nuno

What Res are you running your browser at?[/QUOTE

Running at 1600 X 1200 and I don't see the 'Tech' category

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Feature Would love to be able to filter the new posts shown on the Mainpage - I'd like to be able to view all new posts but filter out the nonsense like After hours.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

Kenno90 wrote: »
    The new look is nice , though i'm not a fan of the brightness

Also the new navigation menu looks really nice though it should act like the old one. When selecting a forum from the drop down menu you have to click the name of the forum. (The old site we could just click the row, making it easier for touch screen devices)

The hover functionality was very easy to navigate sub forums (while touch screen users could still click the row to expand it), Bring back the hover

h38eC.png

The new skin hasn't been designed for touch screen devices. It will work, but we're not actively testing it on these devices. Have sub-categories auto expand on hover was discounted after testing showed it to be less intuitive than clicking to expand.

Have you tried using the Omni-Search bar to navigate. You can get directly to anywhere from it.

Nuno wrote: »
    Running at 1600 X 1200 and I don't see the 'Tech' category

That is because it's disappeared off to the second line. See the white line over on the left beside the Boards.ie Logo? Hover over that, you'll see tech there.

Operating system & Browser version please :) And I hope you resized that screenshot since it's not 1600 wide ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

It's ok. I wouldn't be crazy about it, but I wouldn't mind using it.

Basically......We fear change...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I like it.

Makes more use of the screen on the iPad or maybe it just looks like it is.
    Buttons are bigger for my fat fingers too...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I like the look of it, but would prefer if everything was a little bit smaller - the new version looks like a vision impared version of the old beta. Everything seems a bit over large. That being said, ill get used to it.

• Advertisement

Feature Would love to be able to filter the new posts shown on the Mainpage - I'd like to be able to view all new posts but filter out the nonsense like After hours.

Nate

We're not taking feature requests at this time - only feedback on the new skin The feature you mention has been put forward before over in Site Development though, so throw your name behind the thread over there :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement