Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me help a friend

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Nation by Terry Pratchett is a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd be more inclined to go with Small Gods or Hogfather.

There's a great bit in Reaper Man too: "Wizards don't believe in gods in the same way that most people don't find it necessary to believe in, say, tables. They know they're there, they know they're there for a purpose, they'd probably agree that they have a place in a well-organised universe, but they wouldn't see the point of believing, of going around saying, 'O great table, without whom we are naught'. Anyway, either the gods are there whether you believe or not, or only exist as a function of the belief, so either way you might as well ignore the whole business and, as it were, eat off your knees"

The DEATH novels did a lot for curing me of theism, I think. The idea, in Mort, that whatever happens when you die is what you think will happen takes away a lot of the fear of death, and being able to put a friendly face, for want of a better word, on the end of life is also nice, even if I don't share his love of cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭speaking

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I've got a very close friend who is a strong Christian believer. family, friends, the works.

She's agreed to read a book of my choosing.

I'm hoping to start with evolution, and stuff like the earth isn't 7000 years old, Adam/eve, universe doesn't give a **** about us etc. Just kinda dispute the all perfect factual Bible stuff, not attack her faith in a god. not yet anyway, that's likely going to take a very long time.

I've read and own a few Dawkins books, and while good, he's a bit of a condescending D!ck, and assumes you have doubt in your mind already if you get me.

any suggestions? maybe a more entry level Dawkins that I don't know about?

I've got a very close friend who is a strong Atheist. family, friends, the works.

She's agreed to read a book of my choosing..................................

Go have a coffee, chat about stuff. Chill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

speaking wrote: »
    I've got a very close friend who is a strong Atheist. family, friends, the works.

She's agreed to read a book of my choosing..................................

Go have a coffee, chat about stuff. Chill.
    That's deep man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭speaking

That's deep man.

Ah thanks, it was meant to be. I just wasn't sure if it would come across right. I suppose what i meant was, its probably best just to let people make their own way with their core beliefs, and to make their own mistakes if that is what you think they are making. In the end from my experience they wont listen anyway.

While I love many of the reading suggestions people have made as interesting and inspiring stuff in its own right.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

To be honest if she is a creationist she won't change her mind on things.
    She's obviously had her head buried in the sand until now , it's not that these people can't understand evolution it's that they don't want to .

Seriously she has been poisoned as a kid , don't waste your time .

Advertisement