Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sickle/finger bar mower - self propelled two wheel type

Options
  • 25-06-2012 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

I figure this is more suited to here than the farming forum, or hope so anyway.

I'm on the look out for something similar to what's in the photo below:

imagesqtbnANd9GcRhQmJoAT2g8POsqNwqI.jpg

I want it for grass topping on a farm which is tractor unfriendly. Can't afford to buy one new, so second hand. I don't want something like an Oxford Allen Scythe, as they're supposedly hard to control and the ground is bad already without adding that problem.

Drawing a bit of a blank on it really. I did message a UK seller but not heard back yet. Apparently they're very common in Germany. Irish prices, when you can find them are as usual :rolleyes: ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

How big is the area you're talking about? Not sure I'd like to be facing into topping 5 acres with one of them things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

How long is a piece of string? (twice the distance from the middle to the end :D )

It depends. All going well there could be up to 24 acres, but...

I intend to change the sheep grazing to a paddock system. From a lot of what I read if the grass growth is too strong people mow or bale it, I can't do that, so this is the next best only option that I can see.

I'd also like to top the grass, when necessary, which I can't do now, to see how that goes.

Even a 135 with a finger bar mower wouldn't manage this ground. Too uneven, too many rocks, too many walls, but it's what I have to work with :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hello John,
    How are you doing?

I actually don't have a answer for you on your quest. ;)

But I have a similar situation - although i have exactly what you describe - a 135 + finger bar mower (albeit missing a section since the weekend :( )

But some of my ground is too hilly, but the grass is gone mad strong. So something needs to be done there. I got a neighbour of mine to put some horses in there, to bare it down a bit.

Instead of getting a cutter like you describe, would it be possible to borrow someones horse / donkey for a while every now and then. Put them it the paddock, get them to bare it a bit, and then move em on? Saves your back as well.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Been looking for something similar myself, so I'll be following this thread with interest. Rang some distributers of this type of mower, who promised to call back with pricing, but I heard nothing. Seems to be quite a few Italian manufacturers.

Second hand would be better anyway. Preferably diesel. Maybe an import of a second hand from Germany. Is there a donedeal.de ?? Would that be beschlosseneSache.de :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 offline

Try ebay.de and enter Balkenmäher , which is the german word for these machines ... or just do a google search for same , might want to add " gebraucht " in the google search which means 2nd hand

good luck with your search

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

offline wrote: »
    Try ebay.de and enter Balkenmäher , which is the german word for these machines ... or just do a google search for same , might want to add " gebraucht " in the google search which means 2nd hand

good luck with your search

Thanks !

As I suspected, a much larger range, and much lower prices. Only problem is to figure out the specs to make sure we're comparing like with like. Great start though. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I have seen them for hire in cork ... Would even be worth traveling to hire one to see will it do what you want...I know you can get second hand rotavator/2 wheel tractors a lot of landscapers have them and then buy a mower to fit .
    A friend of mine has a flail mower for a SEP two wheel tractor, tough out but prob a bit slow for big acerage

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement