Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berth on the Shannon

Options
  • 24-06-2012 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am in the process of researching a berth on the shannon. Its for a 19ft fishing boat with an out board. I mention the outboard as security is obviously a concern. Ideally I would like to be in the Athlone area due its proximity to Dublin and good fishing in the area.

I have made a few enquires and am getting quotes of about 600-700 for the year. I was hoping to get it under 500. I would not require hauling out as it has a trailer.

If any of you folks know of any options I could explore in that general area I would really appreciate it.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Just an idea but if it has a trailer maybe you could talk to a local farmer that might have some shed space he'd rent you, would be cheaper than a berth, save you pulling it up and down to Dublin and would sort out the security issue with the outboard!!

I think you'll find it hard to get a berth for less than 500 to be honest! I think the going rate is between €50-€60 a foot which would work out at about €900 for your boat, so price you've got might not be to bad!

If there are any lakeside apartment complexes in the area, some of them may have had a berth included when they were bought, but the owner may not have a use for it and might happily rent it out for €500 a year!! Maybe take a look on apolloduck!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Here is a guide to the price http://www.athlone.ie/athlone-marina also if your engine is over 15 hp you will have to register your boat with WI http://www.waterwaysireland.org/index.cfm/section/article/page/BoatRegistration Alan's idea might be the way to go, put an add in the local paper looking for secure storage and see what comes up.

Advertisement