Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions on this boat's handling in roughish seas

Options
  • 20-06-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying this boat:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/sailing/3515277

I'd like to use it for family outings in the lakes and at sea (say up to 4 adults). Does anybody have experience of how a boat like this will handle at sea if it gets fairly choppy/windy? How does this compare to a rib/inflatable for safety/stability? What are the chances of a capsize?

The reason I ask is because I currently have a 3.1 inflatable with a 4hp engine and have recently had a fairly 'hairy' experienced in choppy conditions with 4 people in it. It took on several inches of water within minutes with waves washing over the side and eventually got so bogged down with people and water that it would hardly move any more!

I know alarm bells are ringing with the above description and I normally wouldn't have that many on board but we were all in wetsuits & buoyancy aids and just out mucking about in the water near the shoreline anyway so we weren't really in danger. What I'm saying is that it gave me an insight into how inadequate a boat can become if the conditions turn even slightly worse than expected!

Thanks,
    Brian

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It would be a good safe boat for what you need with high sides and a double skin, there is a bit of weight in these boats so they tend to stay upright on a wave a bit more than a inflatable would. I think it would be better with a bigger engine maybe 15 - 30 hp and use one of the others as a kicker motor.
    Best of look with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

id snap that up u prob get it for 800. the steering wheel on the boat wont steer them outboards the way they are though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Its looks a decent package for the money 8-900 would probably get it as said above.

4 in a 3.1 dinghy at sea is too much as you have said also :)

If you pick it up I would sell the engines and get a better one.

Though even with a bigger engine its too small for 4 adults at sea IMO.

I have a 17 foot orkney with a similar hull and a 25hp and its very sluggish with 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thanks for the tips and sorry about the delay with keeping in touch. After thinking about it further, I eventually decided that a rib was more suited to my requirements. I want a boat that's versatile enough to drag up on a beach or explore rocky coastlines. Plus my Dad is paranoid about boats sinking! He reckons that large air-filled tubes surrounding a boat will make it virtually unsinkable, and he's probably right!

I bought this at the weekend:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/3291330
    We got to take it for a spin and it's a considerable upgrade to my old RIB. Very fast and the motor seems to work well (neither boat is technically a 'rib' since they both have soft inflatable hulls but I just use that term because it's familiar to people).

Anybody have any experience, history or opinions on this boat, good or bad? It's made by Lifeguard Equipment Ltd., a UK company that doesn't seem to be in business any more. The tubes and general construction seem extremely durable and it has solid stainless steel floor panels.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The boat would have been used as a close to shore lifeboat, the number on the tag is wrong or out of date try this one TEL: 01824 704314 Are you looking for parts or just history on the boat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement