Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEd or BEd with Psychology? Help!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

jinxy18 wrote: »
    Thanks for pointing that bit out about the summer schools...I missed it the first time round...it's clearer now the full structure has been posted....but why don't they just call them summer schools? I know there's only four modules but does anyone have any idea how long they might be? I thought modules normally last for about 12 weeks in college? There are summer schools listed in 1st, 2nd and 3rd year....that'd be the summer gone for the first 3 years and it's only a 4 year course! :mad: Looks like if I got the points for this it would be nearly straight through from September 2012 to June 2016 :eek:

Hey jinxy18! I'm happy with many aspects of the new course...but of course, I always seem to have some type of criticism!! Ever the cynic!:rolleyes:

The only concern I have (at present!:D) is the amount of hours required for the revised programme. Extensive and out-of-semester hours can lead to obvious problems (such as pressure and strain on students)...

The only opposing argument I can think of to this is (and I hate myself for saying this but...:o) that graduates gain a lot from having done B.Ed & Psychology. I'm no stranger to giving out about workload but I have to remind myself that I can have a qualification in Primary Education and a qualification in Psychology. For want of a better phrase, it's two qualifications for the price of one course!:p

The core challenge faced by those designing the programme (and one which will always be present) is to balance the amount of Education content and Psychology content within the programme. Graduates have the choice of entering into the professional world of education or psychology or a mixture of both (ie educational psychology). For a B.Ed & Psych graduate who considers entering a psychology profession (instead of education), do they have sufficient knowledge compared to someone who studied Psychology alone in UCC? If extra lecture hours means that they can compete in this area, then those hours were well worth it!! Maybe those hours are the price to be paid for greater professional freedom in the future...

It's either that or turn it into a five-year course (AKA the length of a course in Medicine)...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 superchic

....though I think I prefer the look of the old course that was on the website until a few days ago....the one without the summer schools!

Agreed :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Thanks for pointing that bit out about the summer schools...I missed it the first time round...it's clearer now the full structure has been posted....but why don't they just call them summer schools? I know there's only four modules but does anyone have any idea how long they might be? I thought modules normally last for about 12 weeks in college? There are summer schools listed in 1st, 2nd and 3rd year....that'd be the summer gone for the first 3 years and it's only a 4 year course! :mad: Looks like if I got the points for this it would be nearly straight through from September 2012 to June 2016 :eek:

They're probably not calling them summer schools because of the connotations - i.e. that students will be in the college for the whole summer.

A module lasts 12 weeks in college, but that's when you have 3/4 lectures a week. The out of semester modules would likely be delivered all in one go, so would only last a week or two. Having looked at the structure that was put up today, I think they've struck a fairly good balance. Better than what we were shown a few weeks ago anyway.

Another thing I'd say is that the module 'Additional Education Experience' is already being completed by students during the summer as it stands. It's a placement in a special education setting, or abroad, or in a summer camp or some such. So I wouldn't count that as a taught module.

Kudos to the college for putting up the module layout.

superchic wrote: »
    Agreed :D

Looks like I won't win with this one!:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jinxy18

Thanks everyone for all the advice :) Looks like it's decision time...

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for all the advice :) Looks like it's decision time...

Best of luck! You'll make the right decision in the end!;) Remember, with so many postgraduate and further education options out there, this decision is not the "be all and end all" in terms of your future career or profession!:)

Advertisement