Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make Your Own Weapons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

F=MA

If you start with something the size of a golf ball you will need a lot of acceleration to make it lethal, I had a game as a child which fired steel ballbearings from a gun, they were fairly lethal. So maybe marbles or ball bearings would be better.

Just had a thought, would it be possible to 'modify' a paintball gun to fire something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    If you start with something the size of a golf ball you will need a lot of acceleration to make it lethal, I had a game as a child which fired steel ballbearings from a gun, they were fairly lethal. So maybe marbles or ball bearings would be better.

Just had a thought, would it be possible to 'modify' a paintball gun to fire something like that?
    I think with airsoft guns you have to do an upgrade to the firing mechanism as the metal balls are much heavier, and that's just to get the balls to travel at the same speed as the plastic ones not to a lethal speed.

The problem would be much worse on a paintball gun because the paintballs are much bigger so your talking about a fairly large heavy metal ball, to get that going at a lethal speed your going to need a lot of power, you couldn't generate that power with a compressed gas and still be portable.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think with airsoft guns you have to do an upgrade to the firing mechanism as the metal balls are much heavier, and that's just to get the balls to travel at the same speed as the plastic ones not to a lethal speed.

The problem would be much worse on a paintball gun because the paintballs are much bigger so your talking about a fairly large heavy metal ball, to get that going at a lethal speed your going to need a lot of power, you couldn't generate that power with a compressed gas and still be portable.

Have a read of this and watch the video!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Golf-Ball-Gun!!!-How-To-Make-One-That-Can-Shoot-40/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

It wouldn't be worth your time trying to make an airsoft gun lethal and AFAIK it isn't possible to make them fire metal BBs. They're specifically designed to be non-lethal. The worst they can do is blind you. While that is a lot, it's very short of lethality. You'd want to use an air rifle, which is more powerful and, AFAIK, requires a firearms license. While an airsoft gun is non-lethal, you can hunt small game with an air rifle which obviously makes it more suitable.

nimrod86 wrote: »
    While that looks impressive it's not very lethal. My airsoft guns will shoot through an empty coke can but will just about break skin at the same distance. The golf ball is light and while it would hurt a lot it wouldn't be much of a deterrent against zombies. Would be fun watching golf balls hop off their heads though.
    Zomg Okay wrote: »
    You'd want to use an air rifle, which is more powerful and, AFAIK, requires a firearms license.
    You also require a license for paintball guns as well I think. Once anything can fire over a certain speed their considered firearms no matter what they are or what they're made out of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

You also require a license for paintball guns as well I think. Once anything can fire over a certain speed their considered firearms no matter what they are or what they're made out of.

That's true. You can't get a license for an airsoft gun though, because there isn't a serial number. If you go over the legal power limit, it isn't a case of getting a license. It's a case of making the airsoft gun less powerful ASAP because you're breaking a firearms law.

I should make this clear though - the law isn't a certain speed. It's the energy output. The law states 1 Joule as the maximum, not a certain speed for the BB. An industry standard airsoft BB is made of plastic, has a diameter of ~6 millimeters and weighs 0.2 grams. That translates to roughly 328 feet per second when the BB is expelled from the barrel but that isn't the legal limit. The speed has to be lower for heavier/larger BBs.

Sorry if you know all this already, thought I'd bring it up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Two light maces made from spinlock dumbbell bar and light weight, should be safe for users and can take apart to pack away for easy transportation if better defense at hand.

Standard kitchen utensils attached to broomstick handle.
    Axe, hatchets and pike.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Call me old fashoned but if I cannnot get my hands on a firearm, my machette will not let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Found these plans, to build your own back-yard small scale trebuchet , capable of firing a tennis ball / tin of beans projectile. Would love to try it out!

http://wickedhowtos.com/index.php/2007/08/17/how-to-build-a-catapult/

Not sure if its a good Z killing weapon, as it would be hard to aim at an individual Z, and you would have to take new aim after each shot, but could be good against large groups if you loaded it with a few rocks ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Would a sling kill a Z?

I'm meaning the David vs Goliath type which throws stones not the one you get after 14 hours in A&E.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

johngalway wrote: »
    Would a sling kill a Z?

I'm meaning the David vs Goliath type which throws stones not the one you get after 14 hours in A&E.
    A black widow with 9mm ball bearings would id say, they pack a savage punch. I used to hunt with one (not in this country)and it was great. A small modification will allow it shoot an arrow fairly accuratly too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

there was a time when they could be sold as a solution to a vermin problem. In fact, i bought one many moons ago and i remember the packaging had a picture of a rat with a bullseye target over it.

They most certainly do pack a punch, myself and friends would stack up old beer bottles and tin cans and skull them to pieces. Widow's are very accurate but the bands break very easily if you use any old piece of crap to fire. However your aim, would have to be perfect to kill anything bigger than a rat.

dont forget folks, that what is lethal to humans is most likely not lethal to Z's (if we have the classic Z). Zombies are dead. They have no circulating blood, so damaging organs / heart etc will not kill them. Major cuts to skin / arteries etc will not cause blood loss so it wont effect them.

A crossbow bolt to the heart will kill a human, not a Z.
    A ballbearing into the eye will put a human in A&E for hours, but wont even slow a Z down.
    Being on fire will kill a human, it wont effect a Z.
    Being pummeled in the chest & destroying organs with flails will kill a human, it wont kill a Z.
    Unless you can deliver a brain destroying shot, or sever the spinal cord, then its not going to work.

I am not trying to be picky , but trying to keep it real (as real as possible in Zombie thread!).

dont forget folks, that what is lethal to humans is most likely not lethal to Z's (if we have the classic Z). Zombies are dead. They have no circulating blood, so damaging organs / heart etc will not kill them. Major cuts to skin / arteries etc will not cause blood loss so it wont effect them.

A crossbow bolt to the heart will kill a human, not a Z.
    A ballbearing into the eye will put a human in A&E for hours, but wont even slow a Z down.
    Being on fire will kill a human, it wont effect a Z.
    Being pummeled in the chest & destroying organs with flails will kill a human, it wont kill a Z.
    Unless you can deliver a brain destroying shot, or sever the spinal cord, then its not going to work.

I am not trying to be picky , but trying to keep it real (as real as possible in Zombie thread!).
    Oh we know this sh!t :rolleyes: haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Fluoroantimonic acid would destroy any zombie.

cool. Where do I get Fluoroantimonic acid?

cool. Where do I get Fluoroantimonic acid?

You can buy it quite easily online, alternatively it can be made at home or in a lab by mixing hydrogen fluoride and antimony pentafluoride in a ratio of 1:1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I have a camera tripod that could double up as a melee weapon. It has lots of pointy bits and sharp, angular corners. Failing that, I've got plenty of kitchen knives and a cricket bat named Shaun.

A black widow with 9mm ball bearings would id say, they pack a savage punch. I used to hunt with one (not in this country)and it was great. A small modification will allow it shoot an arrow fairly accuratly too

That's interesting about the arrow, I've never had much to do with catapults. Did have a black widow yonks ago but wasn't much interested in it at the time, can't remember how I came by it, remember the rubber perished real quick though.

Sings can fling some pretty heavy duty stones, whether that's enough or not I don't know. I think the distance record is something like 477 meters. The good thing about them is they're light weight, easy to make, small, noiseless. Perhaps some projectile could be modified to be sharp.

McChubbin wrote: »
    I have a camera tripod that could double up as a melee weapon. It has lots of pointy bits and sharp, angular corners. Failing that, I've got plenty of kitchen knives and a cricket bat named Shaun of the Dead.

FYP :D

• Advertisement

Martin_94 wrote: »
    You can buy it quite easily online, alternatively it can be made at home or in a lab by mixing hydrogen fluoride and antimony pentafluoride in a ratio of 1:1.
    To the lab! Expect me to run out screaming "My eyes! The goggles, they do nothing" in 30 minutes.
    McChubbin wrote: »
    I have a camera tripod that could double up as a melee weapon. It has lots of pointy bits and sharp, angular corners. Failing that, I've got plenty of kitchen knives and a cricket bat named Shaun.
    Manfrottos are the best, plenty of weight in them. I have a Manfrotto superclamp, its a heavy lump of metal that you can clamp onto anything instantly turning whatever you attach it too into a heavy mace. It does something with cameras too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A Sthil 048 36in bar Chainsaw.The modern answer to a broadsword.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

If it's a single walker or not many more I can't see most hand weapons being a problem.

My thoughts keep coming back to more than that number, obviously not a planned situation. Weight versus effectiveness might become an issue in surviving. Too heavy and you'll tire too quickly and slow down. Too light and it might take too many blows to effectively kill any one walker.

It would have to be a Goldilocks weight weapon!

A Lynx can and a lighter. Pretty much everyone has some sort of deodorant and most people have a lighter. Light, easy to carry around and would make a fairly good flame thrower.

Martin_94 wrote: »
    A Lynx can and a lighter. Pretty much everyone has some sort of deodorant and most people have a lighter. Light, easy to carry around and would make a fairly good flame thrower.

Cept fire won't kill them. But it may make them irresistible to female zombies, Lynx & burning flesh, who could resist.

I just realised my deodorant is roller type :pac:

Think I'm going back to the idea of a lighter weight hammer on an as unbreakable as possible sledge length handle.

Find myself looking at household items and thinking "hmm, would that be any good?" around this time of the week, for some strange unknown reason...

Oh yeah, I was reading a thread earlier about the Tv show/comic TWD. One guy has had experience of Katanas and reckoned they'd not be much use, needing repair and the possibility of them breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

It would have to be a Goldilocks weight weapon!

Just trip her up and use her for bait while you get the hell out of there!!

i know its not homemade, but Aldi are selling chainsaws next week !

chainsaw.jpg

What do folks think of placing speed-reducing obsticles about your house in the event of ZA. Cars arranged to funnel Z's into killing zone? Trip ropes / nets / brambles to slow them down so that you dont get swamped while taking them out one-to-one ? You could stand cars up on their bumper and have a trip-wire tip them over onto the Z's (ok, its a last resort, as its a one-shot-deal, but it might buy you time to get out of the house and move to the backup house ...... you do have a backup house right? )

Find myself looking at household items and thinking "hmm, would that be any good?" around this time of the week, for some strange unknown reason...

+1

• Advertisement

I was in in supervalu today and noticed that they had a fecking machete behind the meat counter. I didn't realise they used that shaped knife in butchers. The blade was 10" long on it.

Not homemade but if your out shopping when it breaks there's probably a commercial grade machete in every supervalu.

Advertisement