Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubliner kills two kids and walks free

Options
  • 19-06-2012 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

how is it that a Dublin business man who killed two kids aged 5 and two when his car mounted the footpath walks free?
    it was on both RTE and TV3 and not once was there any expression of remorse for what he did.

if that had been Irish kids who had been killed there would be uproar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Can you post a link to the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I thought the story was well known but the media here seems to be suppressing it. there was widespread revulsion when the 5 year old was murdered in a housefire in Roscommon. this business man claimed he did not flee the country but left a few months after and was sentenced in absentina. the irish judicial system is protecting him and he is not required to do any time. there is something rotten about that.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0201/1224311047720.html

The Irish Times - Wednesday, February 1, 2012
    A MAN appealing his extradition to Hungary to serve a sentence over a car incident which caused the deaths of two children, wants to serve that sentence here, the Supreme Court has been told.

The Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform has however refused Ciarán Tobin’s application, Brian Murray SC said on the opening day of Mr Tobin’s appeal against his extradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

A victory for justice. I'm sure the parents of those children must be really delighted that the guy who recklessly killed them is now at liberty to carry on his life. And I hope he's really proud of himself, and his friends and family know that he's the kind of guy who would kill children and refuse to take his punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Where's "here"? If it was on tv3 that's hardly suppressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The Supreme Court has refused a second request from Hungary to extradite a Dublin man to serve a prison sentence over a road traffic incident 12 years ago, in which two young children died.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0619/hungarys-attempt-to-extradite-dublin-man-rejected.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Arciphel wrote: »
    Can you post a link to the story?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/tobin-wins-appeal-against-extradition-555883.html
    Ciarán Tobin of Offington Drive in Sutton was wanted by the Hungarian authorities to serve a sentence after being convicted of a fatal road accident in which two young children died in April 2000.

Twelve years ago chartered accountant Tobin was speeding in his Volvo outside Budapest when the car mounted the pavement killing a five-year-old boy and a two-year-old girl in a pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I don't think the media are suppressing it at all. It's certainly not sensationalised like a lot of similar cases if happened here would be.

I do think it's horrible the bastard gets to walk free, although it has been noted that if it were visa versa Hungary has no legislation in place to extradite one of theirs here had it happened in Dublin. What's right? Justice for the victims and their families. What's wrong? Legal loophole bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I thought the story was well known but the media here seems to be suppressing it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0201/1224311047720.html

Yes. It's being suppressed. Which is why you were able to post a link to the story on the Irish Times website and another post on this page has a link to the same story on the RTE website.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭frozenbanana

I believe his whole appeal depends on a technicality regarding the first warrant issued after he fled hungary. Looks like it will work too.

Another proof we have a legal rather than a justice system here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I think if he wasn't a chartered accountant from Sutton but maybe an unemployed bricklayer from somewhere less salubrious, he might have been extradited, but I suppose that's just me being cynical. All are equal before the law, but some are more equal than others.

Where's "here"? If it was on tv3 that's hardly suppressed.

where is the revulsion? where is the rage on liveline? Maybe the guy who murdered the child in the fire should have been acquitted.

the Hungarians only gave me a three year sentence which he had no intention of doing. Sutton must be proud of such a son.

Arciphel wrote: »
    I think if he wasn't a chartered accountant from Sutton but maybe an unemployed bricklayer from somewhere less salubrious, he might have been extradited, but I suppose that's just me being cynical. All are equal before the law, but some are more equal than others.

the kids were Hungarian and probably poor so its okay. he should have thrown a few euros at their lifeless corpses and driven on. had he been imprisoned there and then there would have been an outcry in this country.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Yes. It's being suppressed. Which is why you were able to post a link to the story on the Irish Times website and another post on this page has a link to the same story on the RTE website.

I believe this whole affair is a scandal and should be widely condemned. it is worthy of our revulsion and should make front page headlines and not just mentioned in passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I believe this whole affair is a scandal and should be widely condemned. it is worthy of our revulsion and should make front page headlines and not just mentioned in passing.

Fair enough. It's still not suppression though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

he should be banned from driving for life i hope for gods sake if youre going to leave someone like that out at least take the car keys off them whatever about throwing away the key on him in jail,which i think should happen..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

how is it that a Dublin business man who killed two kids aged 5 and two when his car mounted the footpath walks free?

Do explain to us how you arrive at the conclusion that he has walked free? The case is still ongoing, isn't it? wait until a judgement is given before you reach for your pitchfork.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

it was on both RTE and TV3 and not once was there any expression of remorse for what he did.

if that had been Irish kids who had been killed there would be uproar.

He wants to serve his sentence here, how is that walking free?

Jay D wrote: »
    I don't think the media are suppressing it at all. It's certainly not sensationalised like a lot of similar cases if happened here would be.

I do think it's horrible the bastard gets to walk free, although it has been noted that if it were visa versa Hungary has no legislation in place to extradite one of theirs here had it happened in Dublin. What's right? Justice for the victims and their families. What's wrong? Legal loophole bollox.

the legal loophole avoids the human tragedy of the case. The judge was reluctant to extradite him cos he might be away from his kids. the poor man.

both RTE and TV3 seemed very sympathetic to him. if it had been Irish kids murdered by a Hungarian they would have pictures of the kids. why does no Irish reporter go an interview the father of the kids and ask him how he feels?

ON TV3 news they had a sentencing and a murder on before this article and in both cases there was sympathy towards the victims. one woman said that her son had been taken away and she would have to go the rest of er life without her child. in the case of his nibs from Sutton he was apparently the victim

hondasam wrote: »
    He wants to serve his sentence here, how is that walking free?

the Irish court set him free

• Advertisement

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Do explain to us how you arrive at the conclusion that he has walked free? The case is still ongoing, isn't it? wait until a judgement is given before you reach for your pitchfork.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ireland is not going to extradite him. Nor is he going o receive a custodial sentence here. it has been going on for nearly a decade and the Hungarians will not rest until justice is served.

13 years that guy in Roscommon got for the manslaughter of the 5 year old girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

the legal loophole avoids the human tragedy of the case. The judge was reluctant to extradite him cos he might be away from his kids. the poor man.

Did the judges actually say that, or was the judgement purely based on legalaties of the extradition warrant?

Also it appears from the article that he has served at least 3 months (possibly 7 months?) of the sentence in Irish custody already, so he is not quite getting away scot-free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Here http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0619/hungarys-attempt-to-extradite-dublin-man-rejected.html

WTF, seriously what planet are those 3 judges on?
    RTE wrote:
    Mr Tobin appealed to the Supreme Court, which ruled this morning by a majority of three judges to two that this second request was an abuse of process and it found that a Hungarian national could not be extradited to Ireland if the situation was reversed.
    Mr Tobin had offered to serve his sentence in this country and voluntarily went into custody in November last year. However, the court heard there was no provision under Irish law to allow him to serve his sentence here.
    Mr Justice Adrian Hardiman called this a unique and unprecedented case and an appalling tragedy.
    He said the case illustrated how a perfectly ordinary person of good character in a moment and without any intentional or malicious act on his part can become a suspect, then a convict, sentenced to three years in a foreign jail.
    He said the case was relevant to anyone who travels abroad and especially anyone who drives a car while abroad.
    He also referred to the "grossly abnormal period" during which Mr Tobin, who is a father of two children, has been under threat of forcible separation from his family.
    The court ordered his release from custody forthwith. Mr Tobin left with his wife, without making any comment.

Did the judges actually say that, or was the judgement purely based on legalaties of the extradition warrant?

Also it appears from the article that he has served at least 3 months of the sentence in Irish custody already, so he is not quite getting away scot-free.

my info is taken from RTE news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭ronjo

both RTE and TV3 seemed very sympathetic to him. if it had been Irish kids murdered by a Hungarian they would have pictures of the kids. why does no Irish reporter go an interview the father of the kids and ask him how he feels?

It was hardly murder in fairness. It was tragic and beyond careless alright but not murder.

gurramok wrote: »

where did he spend his voluntary period of detention, under house arrest perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

the Irish court set him free

You should have posted links for us to read the story. The problem is you think he should be extradited to Hungary to serve his sentence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

He should be doing hard time out in Hungry but that is the legal system here in action for ya.

ronjo wrote: »
    It was hardly murder in fairness. It was tragic and beyond careless alright but not murder.

the Hungarians did not charge him with murder, but reckless driving, which is why he only received a three year sentence. its reassuring though to know that if I commit a crime within the EU I can hightail it back o Ireland and nothing will happen.

I just watched it again on RTE. it was on at twenty past night. it should have been item no. 1. pressure needs to be put on the government for Chatter to do the right thing. it is not been 'slavish' to the Eu as his lordship stated. its justice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

The SC made its decision today, here is that decision http://www.supremecourt.ie/Judgments.nsf/1b0757edc371032e802572ea0061450e/4ca2ae8b10c86e7480257a22004f3a7b?OpenDocument

From that decision is an account of the ACCIDENT such account was the respondents but it is noted that his account is no challenged.

On Sunday the 9th day of April, 2000, the appellant was driving a Volvo 40 motor car along a public highway in the area mentioned. He had the persons mentioned above as his passengers. The street featured a raised area on which, relevantly to this case, was a bus stop and an area for people waiting for the bus to stand. This area was separated from the street by a kerb.
    The car was not the appellant’s personal property but was supplied to him by the Irish public company for which he worked. Like many modern cars it was equipped with a range of electronic indicators intended to indicate malfunctions or items that needed to be adjusted. The vehicle was fully and regularly serviced at the expense of the appellant’s employers. Apart from this, the appellant had twice taken it to the garage complaining that certain indicators including that relating to the anti-lock braking system (ABS), had lit up without apparent reason. He was assured by the experts that this was an electrical fault only and did not indicate any fault in the functioning of the vehicle. It was also a feature of the vehicle, according to the appellant’s uncontradicted evidence, that airbags was programmed to deploy in the event of an impact at a speed above 50 kilometres per hour, or about 30 miles per hour.
    On Sunday the 9th of April, 2000, the appellant was involved in a traffic accident at the location mentioned above which, very tragically, involved the deaths of two people, children who were waiting in the vicinity of the bus stop mentioned above. The devastation caused by this tragedy cannot be understated the appellant has made no attempt to do so. But he denies that there was any criminal act or omission on his part, either in the driving of the car or in its maintenance, which caused the accident.
    The appellant says that he was driving along the public highway at a speed of about 70 kilometres per hour, or about 42 miles per hour. The husband of the visiting couple was sitting beside him in the front passenger seat; their two wives and the Tobins nine month old child were sitting in the back. Mrs. Tobin, as has been mentioned, was pregnant at the time. As he drove, a car pulled out of a side street and on to the major thoroughfare along which the Tobins were driving. He thought it wise, as that car came closely in front of him, to pull into the only other available lane, that nearest the right hand kerb. This involved a movement to the right. After executing this movement, Mr. Tobin attempted to straighten up the car so that it could proceed in the normal fashion in the right hand lane. But the vehicle was suddenly and entirely unresponsive to efforts to straighten it up on the road or to apply the brakes. In an instant - motor accidents, notoriously, happen in a much shorter period of time than it takes to describe them - his car had mounted the kerb on the raised area and struck the two children standing there, with the appalling consequences already set out.

I for one can admit that the above could have happened to me, I don't think I deserve to do any time for such an accident.

Advertisement