Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterways Ireland Mooring letter

Options
  • 15-06-2012 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

11th of June 2012

Dear Permit holder,

This letter is to let you know of Waterway's Ireland's intentions in relation to mooring and permits on the Grand & Royal Canals and Barrow Navigation from autumn 2012.

Waterways Ireland has recognised that many boat owners wish to stay for a more extended period in a single location than the 5 days the annual Canal Mooring and Passage Permit (under the Canals Act, 1986 (Bye-laws), 1988) currently allows.

In response, Waterways Ireland intends to issue a new "Extended Mooring Licence" granting a boat owner the right to leave their boat in one location for longer than 5 days. This permit will enable the holder to moor in a position allocated by Waterways Ireland on a soft bank area of navigation property for a period of up to 1 year. The extended Mooring License will cost €152 per annum. The application process for the new Extended Mooring Licence will open in the autumn when all existing permit holders will be contacted.

All boat owners will still require an annual Canal Mooring and Passage Permit allowing the holder to cruise and pass through locks. Boat owners with a Canal Mooring and Passage Permit proposing to stay longer in one location that 5 days can then apply for the Extended Mooring Licence. The total fee to hold both the Permit and the Licence in 2012/2013 will be €278.

For boat owners with the Canal Mooring and Passage Permit who do not hold an Extended Mooring Licence, the 5 day rule (in the one place or within 500m of that location) will still apply. Waterways Ireland will enforce this bye-law from autumn 2012.

Waterways Ireland will contact you regularly between now and autumn 2012 to ensure you are kept up-to-date with the roll-out of the new permit. If you have any queries about the enforcement of the current bye-laws or the extended Mooring Licence please contact me directly. My phone numbers and email address are given above.

These changes are necessary steps to improve the management of the canals and waterway amenities for both the navigational and recreational user, so that the investment in the new infrastructure and facilities which Waterways Ireland has undertaken is maximised for every user.

Yours Sincerely,

Shane Anderson
    Assistant Inspector of Navigation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Jack_regan

Just got this letter in the post in the last few days. Just thought it might be of interest to those new to boating or boaters who are not registered with Waterways Ireland.

Looks like they are going to start cracking down on extended mooring. To my eyes at least, the 5 day rule doesn't seem to be enforced in practice at all in my area. I always see the same boats moored in the same place month after month such as at Lowtown, Vicarstown and Monasterevin in County Kildare. Unless I'm missing something, ie; are there certain moorings on the canals that are in private ownership?:confused:

Anyway it seems like a sensible solution to legitimise long term mooring. I'm not sure all boaters will see it like that though. I suppose Waterways Ireland have to get their funding from somewhere in these tough times. It will be interesting to see what changes lie ahead and how spaces will be allocated given that a lot of boats on the canals as it stands seem to be welded to the same position year after year.

Advertisement