Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lycamobile

Options
124»

Comments

WIZWEB wrote: »
    48 were amazing. Really fast internet speeds. (On O2 as Lyca but lyca appeared more throttled).

The reason for this is that O2 and 48 are the same company. All of the third party MVNOs who use O2's network (Lyca, Tesco, etc) go through Liffey Telecom (an MVNE, also part of O2) who are capped at 2 megabits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Only problem is you're over age:D:D:D

And that's a problem ... how ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

48 go through Liffey Telecom as well no. Their APN settings suggest they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

Karsini wrote: »
    The reason for this is that O2 and 48 are the same company. All of the third party MVNOs who use O2's network (Lyca, Tesco, etc) go through Liffey Telecom (an MVNE, also part of O2) who are capped at 2 megabits.

I'n fully aware these MVNO's use the O2 network. On closer inspection you'll see that both Tesco and 48 use the same liffeytelecom.ie APN but that O2 have Lyca Mobile on a separate lycamobile.ie APN setting. Would perhaps explain their Lyca different capping speeds compared to Tesco and 48 which are of course themselves capped in comparison to the O2 standard customer base rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I find their web site confusing .... so many offers and packages .... I am looking at this package for a friend of mine.

The '19' package:
    350 national minutes ... is this landlines or mobiles ? different networks ?

This friend of mine wants to call Latvia a lot. I am trying to figure if the international rates apply to which packages ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Can you stll buy the bundles using the codes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

got tweo free SIMs in the mail but it seems you have to use all your "credit" in 30 days or its gone forever.

not liking the sound of that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lapsed

Most of the above is over a year old. How have things been going since ? Personally I've just ordered a SIM from them, but only need it so's the wife can call family and friends in India for 1c. Would appreciate a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Check Tesco mobile.

They have a pay as you go offer. Topup by €15 in one go, you get free unlimited local calls (any mobile and landline) PLUS you get to keep all your credit.

It means you local calls are free and you can use €15 to make your international calls. Lyca and Tesco will be same as international calls.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Check Tesco mobile.

They have a pay as you go offer. Topup by €15 in one go, you get free unlimited local calls (any mobile and landline) PLUS you get to keep all your credit.

It means you local calls are free and you can use €15 to make your international calls. Lyca and Tesco will be same as international calls.

Well thank you. Have just checked and they're now.01 to India. Seems like a winner. I'll keep the Lyca sim when it arrives though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

Howrya lads
    Not sure if this is in the right forum

I'm on 48 months.ie network, and have a friend who is on three but is in america for the summer. I'm on a samsung galaxy s2 and my friend is on a galaxy y (so wifi calling is a bit of a problem). I have rung on viber but there is a lot of echo on my friend's end so looking for an alternative.

What is the cheapest way to make international calls?

I've been looking up stuff.

Came across Lycamobile but not entirely sure how this works? How long does your credit alst when you top up?

I used bestrate.ie yesterday and it said it was only 5c a minute from my landline to US mobile, not sure if these rates are genuine or if there were hidden charges? cheapcalls.ie is another one I have found although Ideally I would prefer to be able to ring from my mobile instead of landline all the time.

Would I be better off just porting to tesco mobile and getting their fifteen euro a month deal, buying a gigabyte credit and then have one cent international calls? or just use lycamobile in a separate phone for whenever I need to call (which obviously isn't overtly convenient don't want to be dragging two phones around with me. Is tesco data similar to 48?

Thanks

You can use Lycamobile or Tesco Mobile, both have same rates for USA.

Lyca sim you can get from lots of corner shops, Tesco you can get from any Tesco store. If you take a €10 top up from Tesco you get the sim free. Just pop the sim into any mobile and start calling. I think both Lyca and Tesco have same rates for USA. 2 cents a minutes to both landline and mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

how long does credit last with lyca? 30 days like 48months or until it runs out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

how long does credit last with lyca? 30 days like 48months or until it runs out?

The credit does not expire after 30 days, you can take as long as you like to use it up. Calls to USA numbers (both landline and mobile) are only 1 cent per minute with no setup charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭innocent_lover

You can use voipdiscount.Com to get free calls to usa mobile + landline. You can call from your landline or app in your phone. I think once you top up by €10 you get free 60 days after that you pay for your calls and credit doesn't expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gollyn9

Localphone.com provide an excellent service at a very reasonable price.

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    The credit does not expire after 30 days,
    you can take as long as you like to use it up. Calls to USA numbers (both landline and mobile) are only 1 cent per minute with no setup charge.

Does that apply to top-ups ?

lapsed wrote: »
    Does that apply to top-ups ?

Yes

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Yes

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jonny_bravo

Well lads/ladies,
    New to this thread and couldn't be arsed looking through the 8 pages :-P any who it was just wondering who would be best for international calls for africa? I've seen and heard about lyca rates and they look appealing but is there a catch? I intend to call from my mobile so would be looking for advice from mobile sims/bundles only.

Thanks ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Jennifer Eccles

I signed up to Lycamobile last month,
    I've only just discovered the following through usage

1) they don't have 4G connectivity. Doesn't both me much as I don't use the phone much for internet connectivity.

2) they don't have MMS settings - in fact, after putting in the Lyca SIM it seems that the option too turn on or off MMS (I've an iPhone 6s) in Settings>Messages is gone - missing - not there.... Or trying the route of settings>mobile data> mobile data options > mobile data network, in order to put in the MMS settings, I can't find on the internet any details about the MMS settings...

So now, if I want to send a photo to someone who doesn't have an iPhone, I have to send it by mail or by WhatsApp.....

I think I'll soon be opting for a more expensive but more comprehensive mobile network provider......

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

I signed up to Lycamobile last month,
    I've only just discovered the following through usage

1) they don't have 4G connectivity. Doesn't both me much as I don't use the phone much for internet connectivity.

2) they don't have MMS settings - in fact, after putting in the Lyca SIM it seems that the option too turn on or off MMS (I've an iPhone 6s) in Settings>Messages is gone - missing - not there.... Or trying the route of settings>mobile data> mobile data options > mobile data network, in order to put in the MMS settings, I can't find on the internet any details about the MMS settings...

So now, if I want to send a photo to someone who doesn't have an iPhone, I have to send it by mail or by WhatsApp.....

I think I'll soon be opting for a more expensive but more comprehensive mobile network provider......

Nothing new.Thers is already big thread about LYCA

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057604420

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

Hi just to say I was very attracted by Lyca price plan - and signed up for a €9 a month deal - and was due to get sim in 3-5 day.

• 17 days later I have still not received SIM card.
    • I have emailed on over 10 separate occasions with no reply.

I finally tried phoning them last week.
    • Their phone number is charged at 20 cents a minute.
    • After 21 minutes of being on hold I got an assistant who put was completely disinterested in resolving my issue

then put back on hold for a further 16 minutes.

When I objected to this - I was told
    • they can't phone me back
    • don't have any obligation to reply to emails
    • that delay in SIM delivery (they have not tracking system) was most likely due to bad weather conditions
    • and then proceeded to hang up on me.
    Anyway SIM cards get lost and mix up happen but their lack of customer support is appalling - definitely a contender for worst customer service on the planet.

Needless to say I would not recommend this company. Not sure who is better but can confidently say no one is worse !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Totally agree DS TV. I had similar problems with them. Couldn't handle it any more so changed but my dd is still with them. Wait until you try topping up every month, the fun really starts then.

Fab package when it's up and running though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Got an email from Lyca this morning offering a Black Friday deal for the Ireland Plus plan for €7.50 a month. Excellent deal imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭wiz569

Got an email from Lyca this morning offering a Black Friday deal for the Ireland Plus plan for €7.50 a month. Excellent deal imo.

Only for the first month though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

wiz569 wrote: »
    Only for the first month though.

Thanks for that. I clicked on the link in the email and that brought me straight to the sign-up page. However , if you go the long way to the tarrif page, that cheapskate offer details appear. Will bung off an appropriate email to them:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭wiz569

Thanks for that. I clicked on the link in the email and that brought me straight to the sign-up page. However , if you go the long way to the tarrif page, that cheapskate offer details appear. Will bung off an appropriate email to them:).

Was considering it myself when I got the email,but I double checked on the site first,too good to be true unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Fast Internet me eye

• Advertisement

you can still get service for 7.5 € a month, all the tiime.
    month 1. top up by 15€. you get calls and data for a month. texts still charged for. use whatsapp instead
    month 2. buy ireland plus bundle with the 15 euro credit from the previous month. texts free with ireland plus bundle
    repeat.

note that afaik only get the euro roaming with the ireland plus bundle but if you need that for a trip just and are not on the irleand plus then just buy it early for the trip.

Advertisement