Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Deere 3140 Hydraulic problems

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Caffrey78

The steering gets priority , first in line for the oil from the pump.There is a valve to ensure this happens. I will look up a workshop manual I have somewhere. I assume the main hydraulic oil filter was changed? and the strainer? Nigel in Cavan

Are you talking about Part 17,18,19 on this drawing.
    JD 3140.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Yes, thats the part. Don't know what part no. 20 is. Looks like an accumulator of some type?

IverJ - Those scans came through no problem, thank a million.
    What I can't understand is why if the hyd pump is perfect this valve would affect both the steering and lift at the same time. Sitting idling with the 3pt lever pulled up I neither have steering or lift, would that valve not just mean that either the steering or lift would work with the other not?

I'll be passing Meath Farm Machinery and might pop in to ask them their opinion on what could be wrong.

Meath farm Machinery in Bailieboro or in Kilberry?
    I have found the guys in Kilberry to be excellent, the last time I had a problem the counter guy called in one of the mechanics to advise me. No charge, they were genuinely happy to help. There was a guy there called Finn something years ago, who was very helpfull, but i think he is retired now.

I have no expierence of the quality of the mechanics in Bailieboro, but many parts for the older 40 series etc will have to come from Kilberry anyway. Nigel in Cavan

By the way, how is it behaving now, when the oil is cold? I'm grasping at straws here, but if its now misbehaving all the time, with the oil cold, there must be a cracked oil line somewhere inside, or a problem with your charge pump. There is a video on Youtube by an Australian guy, who lost all oil pressure.There was a piece completely broken out of the suction pipe to the charge pump. Go to youtube and search for "3140 deere" By a guy called "flyingbuffalo10" Worth a look anyway.

• Advertisement

I parked her up after finishing bales and she hasn't moved since. I'll start her later and let you know. She hasn't dropped a mm since parking her up.

I'm worried that there must be a hair line crack somewhere myself.

Kilberry, I called into them about a year ago and like you say they took time to talk about what could be wrong. Now that the problems are fewer rather than multiples they might be able to point me in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭John J. Lyons

sounds like a feed pipe in the back end , only experienced this 2 weeks ago in a 21 40

I started her last night and both the lift and steering are working fine. With the engine idling, the steering turns very easy and the lift works in a bit of a stuttering motion, that's exactly as it was when I took her home from the garage. Both the steering and the lift work at the same time with neither suffering because of the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Irishglobe

Hi I am looking for a used hydraulic pump for a 3140 please if you have any leads

Hello again! Try McDonagh Engineering, near Kesh, they have a 3140 (or perhaps its a 3050) breaking at the moment. Just got a side panel from them on Tuesday. They advertise on Donedeal, and are just down the road from Wamsley Tractors, a Case main dealer. Next stop would be Conaty at Sylvan Park, Kells. Nigel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 turboted

whatever you do dont go near conaty in meath

i rang him today looking for a part for a manitou teleporter,i had the exact part number of the part i wanted it was stamped on a plate on the side of the casing, it took 3 phone calls "most of them he hung up before i could explain properly what i wanted" at the end up i rang back and explained to him that i wanted to make sure he had the right part before i set of on the 300 mile round trip he just started shouting down the phone to me about wasting his time with numbers and blah blah blah, i never came across a more ignorant man in my life on a phone and he will never get a penny of my money

the part is probably worth about 1000 euro and i dont think they would be selling like hot cakes either, so just to treat a potential customer like this i would advise you to stay away

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tommurphy73

Hi,

I was wondering if you ever solved your hydraulic problems? I have a tractor with very similar problems to you

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2 steven dunleavy

hi there i have a john deere 3130 hydrostatic 4wd i have got a hydraulic problem it was driving fine but i had a leak under the top cover where the gear sticks got a new gasket but when i was putting it down i bent a small pipe under the cover but i had split the tractor to put the pipe in but when i put all back together when i start i have no steering no arms and the pto wont turn its like it is air locked have oil in the back end but theres no oil going to the pumps what could be the problem can anyone help me ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Somehow your "Charge Pump" in the gearbox has quit supplying oil to the front pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 steven dunleavy

Ok thanks what can I do to get it back working the pumps where fine before I spilt the tractor so what can I do

Advertisement